The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Default Looking for a Simple Inexpensive Recorder

What portable digital voice/guitar recorders do you recommend? I had an old Tascam casette 8 trak recorder years ago. Looking for something digital, small, and easy to use to recorder guitar and vocal and then be able to downlaod to the lap top.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM

A great place to see what's available is Wingfield Audio. A professional cellist owns the site so she brings an acoustic music slant to the operation. I would much prefer samples that lined up multiple recorders at one time with careful volume calibration, so I don't pay much attention to the audio samples, but the feature lists help identify those units that meet specific needs.

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/compar...recorders.html

You don't mention is you're interested in overdubbing, but it is possible with some of today's small recorders to do layered recording. Others offer the possibility of using high quality external mics, some can connect to your computer and work as an audio interface.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 AM

You can also get a discontinued Zoom PS-04 real cheap, and they work great IMO. Internal mic, or use your own. 4 tracks with sliders, and each track has 10 more sub tracks. Basic use is very simple, but it does have a lot of functions, including mic and guitar effects, and programmable drum/bass, if you have he patience to learn it (I usually just use the basic functions, and edit on the computer). They use the discontinued Smart Media cards, but you can still buy them on eBay for about $35 each (much less than their original price). Max of 128MB on the cards, though I've never filled one up for a project, but do keep that in mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ZOOM-PS-04-Palmt...item4cf9294a89

Last edited by TomHB; 08-08-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I purchased the Tascam dp-008 and it has served me very well.
Very easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DP-008-...2901369&sr=8-1
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 AM

I recommend using a recorder that records to some kind of flash card or removable memory. That way you can have your recorder in one room, PC or Mac in another and the two don't have to physically link.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Guest 4320

I just got the new Tascam DR-07mkII last week, I am really pleased with it so far, very intuitive, simple, excellent sound quality when recording to 16/44 WAV files (and it can go up to 24/96, and straight to mp3 as well) It is very small, compact, has XY mics that can be opened up to AB, and was very affordable as well. Does a real good job with acoustic/resophonic guitar... and batteries seem to last a long time, still on the set of included AA's.
Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD