The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up DR07MKII or H2N for Home Use?

I have narrowed down to either a Tascam or Zoom, and having trouble making a choice. Anyone know of good reasons to buy one over the other? Prices are close enough not to be an issue, and I dig the surround sound idea with the Zoom...

Probably just using to grab jam ideas and transfer to laptop or upload as MP3s. I wish I had some experience with these units, but it's all new to me.

Thanks,
ramsa
Old 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM

If you want to buy now, I don't believe the H2n is available yet. It didn't show in stock at three big on-line retailers I checked.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 PM

I have the tascam dr05 and I love it. I record everything with it. My jam band, acoustic practice and song ideas. It's very easy to use for recording and loading songs to the computer.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma 165 View Post
I have narrowed down to either a Tascam or Zoom, and having trouble making a choice. Anyone know of good reasons to buy one over the other? Prices are close enough not to be an issue, and I dig the surround sound idea with the Zoom...
Hi Puma…
With small digital recorders the things that count are features like:
  • How long from power on to recording?
  • How detailed of resolution - as in mp3 at different levels, 16 & 24bit, wav, 44.1hz, 44hz etc.
  • Durability
  • Physical size and form
  • How easy to interface with computer for transferring files?
  • Tripod mountability (and/or mic stand mounting)?
  • Battery life?
  • Ease of navigation to internal features…
  • Mic angles (and number of mics)

It it matches the features you need, it's a good unit. If not there is probably one which will be.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 AM

I bought the Zoom H4n, largely for its ability to plug in other mics, even condensers, and enjoy it a great deal. It has more features than I use, but I've found it to be a wise investment for my needs.

As always, Larry has given excellent advice.

cotten
Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I bought the Zoom H4n, largely for its ability to plug in other mics, even condensers, and enjoy it a great deal. It has more features than I use, but I've found it to be a wise investment for my needs.

As always, Larry has given excellent advice.

cotten
Hi John…
Love the H4 for those reasons you listed. Also one thing I forgot that is really really REALLY important to me is how easy are they to use in a hurry when I don't have a camera tripod or mic stand and any adapters those require.

The Zooms will just sit on a table, music stand, or TV tray, and the mics are pointing the right direction, especially the H2 series. That's why mine gets a lot of use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 AM

Thumbs up

Now I'm more interested in the H4N. Best Buy here in Ohio has them, and the phantom power is a really cool feature for a handheld...

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Guest 4320

Thumbs up

I just got the Tascam DR-07mkII... I was using the Pocketstudio5 so this is a real big step up in terms of audio quality for me. It is in essence a 2 track recorder, 1 track at a time (overdub mode). Most of my music is acoustic solo instrumentals so it suits my needs better than fine. The stereo mics in XY do a real good job capturing & isolating acoustic/resonator guitar without eq'ing it at all. Records directly to wav or mp3.

I've really just tested it out for the last 2-3 days, recorded a gig with it Saturday night, but will have it closer to the guitar or amp next time as it was a pretty loud room and I had the recorder about 10-12 feet away on the 1st available table...

It is a real easy unit to use, very intuitive, feels well built. Really fast start up, ready to record to a new file in seconds... I'm very happy with this unit so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD