The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Tascam 2488 users: A cool bit o' kit

I've been watching for this to arrive and it has - a VGA adapter for the Tascam 2488 series recording systems. Installation requires opening the case and plugging in and mounting the board, all with supplied hardware and cables. It looks to me to be a breeze. Both the onboard LCD and a connected VGA monitor are active. MK1, MKII, and Neo compatible.

THE HGR-2488

I'm not in any way affiliated.

Bob

Illustrated Installation Instructions in .Doc Format

I love cottage industries!

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Please tell me it's not expensive. Considering the unit needs to be sitting level, this would be great. I'm tired of having to lean over everything to get a look at what I'm doing. Should make set-up for a one-person operation a whole lot easier and give a little more flexibility.
It's really the only thing I dislike about the unit.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The card runs about $135.52 inclusive of shipping from England to the U.S., given the current exchange rate. You supply your own VGA monitor.

Three background colors (black, blue, red) available via a jumper:

Bob

Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 AM

England, huh? That's why I couldn't find it anywhere. Tascam doesn't even show it on their site. Where can I get one?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Follow the link in my first post: THE HGR-2488. You order it directly from the maker.

Bob

Old 06-30-2011, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this info, Bob. I have been watching the progress of this product over time at the 2488 forum, but am not sure that I really need it. Where my 2488 sits, I really don't have room for a monitor. However, it might be worthwhile to get this device just in case I need it someday. As I recall, this device uses a custom ASIC (or was it an FPGA?), so it is not something anyone can just build.

The 2488 is a weird product. I mean, how does anybody put so much into a product like this, sell it as cheap as Tascam does (talking about the 2488 neo, which is what I have), and still make a profit? When I bought one, I thought for sure there must be something wrong with it and I would probably end up returning it (i.e. some glaring weirdness in the design or something), but it is just fine and is easy to use. I really just wanted simplicity and reasonable results, and that is just what I got with this 2488 neo. I know many people go for the PC or Mac based recording with software that has all the bells and whistles and a decent "front end" device for the inputs and preamps, but I just didn't want to go there. Anyway, I am sure glad I got my 2488 neo. It does what I want and costs very little for doing all that.

Tony
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'll admit that I was amazed at the 2488 as well. I spent three times that amount for a four track Tascam 3340 and a model 3 8-channel mixer back in 1979. Wow. Memories. Anyway, the 2488 is quiet and small and easy for my home. I export the tracks and mix them at the studio where I work.

Bob

Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Follow the link in my first post: THE HGR-2488. You order it directly from the maker.

Bob
Hi, I got one of these about a year ago. Has been great - able to see the display from the other side of the room and when recording with the band. I see they have updated the module recently to make it easier to install (not that it was a problem). Recommended.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Thanks for posting this. I love my 2488neo also. This will be a nice addition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD