The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa brought an APOGEE ONE!...now questions!

Merry Christmas to all.

Santa surprised me with the apogee one, which I'm super psyched about. I'm also a little concerned.....

I'm a hobbyist...thats it....no rockstar here!.....Does anyone here use the apogee one to record acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously? My thought is that the apogee duet would be a better choice for recording both at the same time, which is what I want to do.....

So do I upgrade to the DUET, or just hang out with the ONE and try it...(i really dont want to put any more $$$ into it.)

I dont own a mic yet.....being my guitar is ES equipped...I'd like to shop for a mic thats great for vocals alone....but that can also capture a "one input solo performance."

I really like brand name recognition, but I dont want to buy the wrong thing....

ANY HELP WOULD BE GReatly APPRECIATED!!!

Bill
Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 PM

I like the Duet over the One for a few reasons:
1) You can use to convert vinyl to digital
2) You can use it a a decent DAC for when you stream Netflix
3) You can use it as a headphone amp for those evenings when you want to go to sleep with some good music
4) Has all the features of the One, plus that extra channel.
5) The Duet is so much more versatile.

Need I say that I love my Duet?

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-26-2010, 01:53 PM
osweetmelody

Hey...

I have no experience on this equipment, but I've done similar "research"...

From what I understand, you can record simultaneously (vocal + guitar) but you will have to figure out the precise location to place the mic so that you get the relative volume levels you want...

It records as a SINGLE track, which means you CAN'T edit the tracks individually later... This is really important for some people

That being said, I figured (for my purposes) I would be fine with the Apogee One (I plan to purchase it in a few months)... I don't mind just recording both simultaneously (but I think, plugged-in, the quality is noticeably improved). If you care about this... IMO you should go Duet.

If you are on a smaller budget and JUST want something that works, I think the Apogee One would suit you =)

P.S. If you let it go, let me know! I'll buy it off ya!

Last edited by osweetmelody; 12-26-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
osweetmelody

Forgot to mention some things...

You can record separate tracks on the ONE, although you have to do it in two takes (one at a time). So you would basically record guitar first, then play it back and sing your vocals.

If this bothers you... I think the DUET solves this and allows you to record simultaneously on separate tracks.

I think one of the biggest selling factors for me for the ONE is that it has that great quality built-in condenser mic... Just depends on your budget.

Hope this helps, please take things with a grain of salt, not sure if I am right/wrong.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the opinions.....i love playing...I really do.....my lovely wife just reasoned w me and helped me decide to keep the ONE, and if and when I ever want to upgrade.......go for the duet....I might not even buy a mic! I forgot about the built in.....

Cheers to all!
Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Get the Duet!!!

Aloha Givem',

Send the One back & GET THE DUET! It's Stereo vs. Mono basically & missing all the functions & options listed above that relate to two channels.
You need the Duet for playing alone or separately.

Pro or hobbyist, once you hear how bad the ES - or any single pickup system used alone - sounds for recording, you'll run for some mic's - and be glad you exchanged for a Duet.

Record vocals & guitar separately for best results. You can get by playing simultaneously but you lose control over the separate channels & also introduce bleed into the equation that way.

Use two condenser mic's in stereo to record your guitar. Skip using a pickup for recording until you know what you're doing. I'd NEVER use a pickup for recording guitar.

Use one vocal mic for vocals. That's the way to go.

It's really worth it on the Duet!

alohachris

Quote:
Originally Posted by givempills View Post
Thanks for the opinions.....i love playing...I really do.....my lovely wife just reasoned w me and helped me decide to keep the ONE, and if and when I ever want to upgrade.......go for the duet....I might not even buy a mic! I forgot about the built in.....

Cheers to all!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:32 PM

a big + for alohachris' information.

since you now have the one, try it out with your taylor and es system. then record you and the guitar simultaneously just for your own edification. it may sound good but the duet will do a much better job. you'll also will find that the condenser mic will provide you with quality vocals as well as quality recordings of your guitar.

we can't spend your money; we can only provide the experience we have.

good luck with whatever you choose.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM

Ive had both (even at the same time). The preamps in the Duet have a little more gain than can be useful if you are driving hungry mics like Ribbons or the Shure SM7b. In terms of converters, audio quality, clean gain they are negligible. I use the One with gain maxed all the time and it is clean and pristine on mics that can get by with < 60db.

The Duet can capture 2-channels at once, has a little more preamp gain, is firewire, and has balanced outputs. The One is only one channel in, USB, but includes an internal mic.

I record one track at a time and prefer the One for its size/simplicity and built in mic. The only thing I really use the internal mic for is acoustic tracking and some scratch recording. FWIW the One's internal mic seems to excel on stringed and acoustic instrument capture (less preferable on electric guitar or voice). For an acoustic player its a great device.

Just wanted to chime in on a few things
Quote:

1) You can use to convert vinyl to digital

...True, Duet can capture stereo/2-channels
2) You can use it a a decent DAC for when you stream Netflix
...the D/A conversion is the same and the one has stereo out via 1/8"
3) You can use it as a headphone amp for those evenings when you want to go to sleep with some good music
...the One has the same amp, I use Sennheiser HD600's on either with ease
4) Has all the features of the One, plus that extra channel.
...True but the Ones +'s are the size, smaller breakout cable, and Mic
5) The Duet is so much more versatile.
...with regard to capturing 2 Channels and connectors in the breakout cable
Duet if you are recording two sources/mics at once or want the connetion options/flexibility. One if you only record one source at a time or want/need that built in mic (and I have to say again I love that mic for acoustic capture).

One other note, not that it is ideal but you can aggregate two One units and capture with each as a stereo pair. Not idea but possible.

Some posted a nice piano recording using two aggregated One's here a while back:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...gee-one-3.html

Last edited by shawntp; 01-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Personally, I think performing guitar and vox at the same time is the best way to get a real performance. You'll find that that you emphasize your playing/singing more and less, depending on what and how your singing.

It's the magical that people do, unknowingly, that interests me and makes a talented performance. That said, some styles lend themselves to that sort of construction. Just not ones that I care for, anyway.

Technically, it's a challenge, and usually involves (at least preferably) one cardiod or hypercardiod dynamic mic (SM7 is GREAT for this) and a condenser/ribbon. There's no prescription for which goes where...depends on what you're going for. After you've got the mics, it's trial and error and back again, until you find the postion that works with your posture. If you ask me, it's worth the the work, and it takes a lot of it. :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD