The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I foresee a post along the lines of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Birth Mark."

You come across a guitar. It has a particularly hideous poker playing dog painting all across the top. You pick it up as a joke and strum it. Then again, this time making a chord. Two hours go by in what seems like two minutes. It sounds like Segovia and Peter Green and Doc Watson all possess it and take turns making their prescience known. Daria checks in also. You buy it. Record a youtube with it (shot from the back). Every guitarist on the planet plays the video, incessantly. In two months, it becomes more legendary than anything ever played by Hendrix, Green, Page, Gilmour or Clapton.

But the painting wears on you. You can't ignore it. Eventually, you carefully begin efforts to remove it. You plan and research the most cutting edge scientific methods. You begin gradually but persist, gradually removing the image. Eventually, you succeed, but the marvelous tone is gone forever. The guitar sounds like somebody put strings on a sack of wet cement.

You give up playing any instrument and go on to live a life of repentance and contemplation while living under a bridge in a Mary Gauthier song.
I tip my hat and bow in your direction. Hawthorne would have wrote it that way if he'd only got around to it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion