The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 AM

Congrats on your GP. Your playing in your sound demo brings out the best in both guitars, very nicely done! I am loyal Taylor fan and anticipate you ll love yours even more as it “opens” up in the future as your other fine instruments have probably had the time to be played in. Enjoy
Old 05-29-2019, 08:35 AM

I have played the 517 3 times and the 717 once and while it was the first Taylor models I really like, when I would pick up some of the Martins on the wall and
play it was like this is what it should sound like. I also think that the strength in the Taylor was neck comfort and play-ability. To me it would be a good second or 3rd guitar if money was no object. I have my CEO-7 now with my eyes on a Gruhn 0000-18 sinker. Go with your natural instinct as it will be right. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 AM

I appreciated your playing in the sound clip, but I have to say that it was mahogany vs rosewood and they both sounded as you would expect. You can't fault the 717 for not having the same characteristics as the D18 or the J45.
You will find that a rosewood is a nice change of pace and vice versa.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
I appreciated your playing in the sound clip, but I have to say that it was mahogany vs rosewood and they both sounded as you would expect. You can't fault the 717 for not having the same characteristics as the D18 or the J45.
You will find that a rosewood is a nice change of pace and vice versa.
I think the strings make a large part of the equation as well. The 717 is also a very airy sounding guitar. It's really nice. I do prefer the mahogany voice, but in person, there is no comparison on low end. The Gibson and Martin rule that department.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM

All of the bracing marketing has been complete BS, but I admire that you gave the guitar a chance on its own. I have really tried my hardest to give each individual guitar a chance on its own merits when I have them in my hands in the store. It is why I ended up with a 000-15 as my first Martin. I was in a shop looking for the HD-28 and fell in love with this brown 000 size Martin (a size I didn't even know existed at the time).

There have been a handful of Taylors that I have loved in the store though I would say I don't care for them generally. But each guitar is a unique beast and worthy of a play. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Grand Pacific, congrats.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 05-29-2019, 03:09 PM

I'm unabashedly a fan of the Taylor sound. When I play guitars at the shop, I play some Martins and Gibsons, and when I come around to the Taylors my reaction is "ahhh, THERE it is." I love the sparkle in the highs and mids coupled with the balanced (not boomy) bass. It's just what my ears gravitate toward.

Martins and Gibsons boom. Taylors cut and sparkle. It's just their nature. Some of us like the boom, some like the sparkle.

The V-class braced Taylors I've played sounded really great and I'd be pleased to own any of them. There's one in particular at Dusty Strings in Seattle that I'd love to take home right now if I had the ducats.

Anyway, congrats on the awesome purchase.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I think the strings make a large part of the equation as well. The 717 is also a very airy sounding guitar. It's really nice. I do prefer the mahogany voice, but in person, there is no comparison on low end. The Gibson and Martin rule that department.
Shades, congratulations on your new 717!

If you're not happy with it, no need to justify that. But I'd give the GP some time before giving up, and not expect it to compare with a D18 or a J45.

I've had Martin and Gibson-owning flatpicker/bluegrass friends try my 517. All seemed really impressed with the tone as having its own character, and to enjoy playing it.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

My opinion - these new instruments shouldn’t be judged as dreadnoughts in spite of how they look. These instruments have the ultimate in balance from top to bottom- for most music I play that balance is essential- but I love me some bass as much as any of you, and there are better axes out there for those situations too. Apples and oranges I say. I’ve only had my 317 for 1.5 weeks and it ain’t going back
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
My opinion - these new instruments shouldn’t be judged as dreadnoughts in spite of how they look. These instruments have the ultimate in balance from top to bottom- for most music I play that balance is essential- but I love me some bass as much as any of you, and there are better axes out there for those situations too. Apples and oranges I say. I’ve only had my 317 for 1.5 weeks and it ain’t going back
Yep, I think you’re probably right. And I’m going to keep that in mind when my 317 arrives Monday. But it’s hard not to judge these GPs as dreads when Taylor says that’s what they are right there on the label...

Old 05-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the GP Shade!

I'd love to try one of those out one day. Take the guitar on its own merits, don't use the J-45 or a Martin as benchmarks to be "beat." Each guitar brings its own sound to the table. You have to learn to bring out the best in yourself to enjoy the guitar more fully.

Satin finishes are very noisy. My Martin has a satin back and my Avalon has a semi-satin kind of finish. Playing them quietly is an acquired skill that is sort of a mix of guitar playing and freeze tag

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-31-2019, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
My opinion - these new instruments shouldn’t be judged as dreadnoughts in spite of how they look...
I totally agree and think that Taylor will alienate some potential buyers by continuing to use the "D-word" to label and describe the Grand Pacific. Taylor makes the GC, the GA, the GS, and the GO - meet the GP....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-31-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

RevRoy... eager to hear your take versus your Martin DSS-17.... Good luck.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetweed View Post
I have played the 517 3 times and the 717 once and while it was the first Taylor models I really like, when I would pick up some of the Martins on the wall and
play it was like this is what it should sound like. I also think that the strength in the Taylor was neck comfort and play-ability. To me it would be a good second or 3rd guitar if money was no object. I have my CEO-7 now with my eyes on a Gruhn 0000-18 sinker. Go with your natural instinct as it will be right. Good luck!
I've been meaning to get to Reno's or somewhere I can try a 0000. I'm afraid it will hook me!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Congrats on the GP Shade!

I'd love to try one of those out one day. Take the guitar on its own merits, don't use the J-45 or a Martin as benchmarks to be "beat." Each guitar brings its own sound to the table. You have to learn to bring out the best in yourself to enjoy the guitar more fully.

Satin finishes are very noisy. My Martin has a satin back and my Avalon has a semi-satin kind of finish. Playing them quietly is an acquired skill that is sort of a mix of guitar playing and freeze tag
The 717 is on its way back to Sweetwater. The more I played it next to my D-18 and J-45, the less I played it. It really lacks low end badly, and I worked my BUTT off trying to record it last night without the sound of my arm rubbing on the matte finish, but it is noisy as heck for some reason.

Loved it in the shops, but there is just no comparison in sound when you put it up against a D-18 or J-45. Perhaps it records better and the woof is mitigated, but that makes for a filtered acoustic sound that just really lacks. I really had to force myself to want to play it the more I compared it to my D-18, but the D-18 is really becoming my favorite acoustic ever.

Gosh I wanted this guitar to work for me. The look, the feel, the comfort. It has it all, but I just wish it was....gulp....X-Braced.....
Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 AM

congrats to those that choose to try the new Taylor GP's! I think I will sit it out though. I've been around long enough to see a lot of 'latest and greatest' come and go, such as the Gibson Mark series.( not comparing the two) Time is the only thing that will tell how well they are received, and how well they age.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion