The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-19-2019, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Buying a guitar, especially for a someone new to the journey, is part research and part faith. I would say more faith then research, at least in the beginning. Play as many guitars as you can and take the leap. Later on When you have have more experience and can reevaluate. But I wouldn’t say a guitar is a lifetime guitar until you get a couple years behind you
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-19-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
There are so many options out there that one could easily become overwhelmed, particularly when one starts considering the woods used!
I think many of have solved that problem by letting GAS take over. If your confused, just keep buying another guitar.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not really interested in going full fingerstyle. And the reason behind the switch away from picks is medical - I have an issue with my wrist which is aggravated when using a pick (as well as doing other things, such as writing) but isn't when using my fingers.
Sorry to hear that, good luck with it.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-19-2019, 08:57 AM

When Did Buying An Acoustic Guitar Become So Confusing???

When manufacturers started offering more models and options?

colchar,

Lot of good info in this thread, including something woodbox listed,

"1) do my ears like it?
2) do my hands like it?
3) do my eyes like it?
then last and least..
4) is the money right?"

To me it's a start. Actually I would be thinking budget first, check off that box, and forget about it. It will make you feel responsible enough to ignore it when/if the time comes.
Here's the rest of my 2+ cents.

Play as many different guitars as you can. New and used. Any brands and shapes will do. Try taking an experienced friend for a sounding board. Bring an electronic tuner. And maybe a capo. I would also bring a retractable carpenters' measure. Figures into the next step.

Concentrate on finding one that feels good. Then figure out why. Is it brand, neck, body, nut width, scale length, set-up? But mostly does if feel comfortable? If it's not playable for you, it's not playable.

Then, does it sound good to you? If 'yes', it's a big step checked off. If 'no', then at least you have an idea of what type of guitars you should concentrate on. Maybe even wood types. Ears don't lie. Have someone else play it and listen for sound.

Eye candy is over-rated, but also under-rated at the same time. Nobody wants an ugly guitar. Unobtrusive electronics don't matter. Cut-aways may matter from an appearance standpoint. Personally I think Florentine (pointy) cut-aways look better, but my only acoustic cut-away is not Florentine, but Venetian. Cutaway is not an important box to check off for me, but it may be for you. I also like natural wood finishes, but would not rule out burst or colors if I liked the guitar. Bottom line would be "does it look good to me?"

OK, now back to the money. Did you meet your budget? Are you close? If over, can you still swing it? If not, play some more guitars. There is at least one out there for you. It's kind of like dating. Hah!

Now about that 'fingerstyle'. Played electric a lot, never met a pick I liked, and went full time fingerpicking many years ago after trying flat pick hybrid and also thumb picks. Went full acoustic over 30 years ago, and expanded my fingerpicking skills. Ended up using my nails as picks, and now fingerpick all my instruments using thumb and 3 fingers. Works for me, and would recommend trying it at some point. Someone mentioned volume; you might be surprised at how loud you can be. I can generate a lot of volume, but can also play very softly.

There is no one guitar that is a universal panacea to all your needs. You can fingerpick a dread if you want too. You can fingerpick any guitar, no matter the size, shape, or how many strings. Goes back to finding one you feel comfortable with. By the way, I call it fingerpicking, 'cause thats the term I learned. 'Fingerstyle' may be more correct for some, because to me it would easily include percussive stuff. But I'll still call it fingerpicking, even when I do percussive stuff.

I tend to prefer large bodied guitars, but that's just me, and it's not an exclusive thing either. I also prefer solid wood guitars (what you're seeking), but have a couple with laminated (layered) back and sides. Good luck in your search.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 AM

You should try the 317 out then!

A dread is the only guitar I don't like a cutout on lol. The Grand Auditorium is dread depth, but a tighter waist.

The Taylor GO is well regarded, just sells so slow lol.

If you want another guitar to look at, look at an AC5R/M or LL16 and higher series
Old 05-19-2019, 09:07 AM

All of my acoustics are Dreads because only a dread provides the tone my ears demand.

Buy the best guitar you can afford. A great guitar will definitely encourage you to practice and get better.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
You should try the 317 out then!

A dread is the only guitar I don't like a cutout on lol. The Grand Auditorium is dread depth, but a tighter waist.

The Taylor GO is well regarded, just sells so slow lol.

If you want another guitar to look at, look at an AC5R/M or LL16 and higher series
My Taylor Grand Orchestra 818e is my best all-around guitar. Currently strung with Elixir PB HD Lights. It came with mediums, but I went with lighter bass strings because the rosewood naturally produces a lot of bass. Played softly or loudly, it can produce wonderful tones. I fingerpick everything, using my nails as picks. Body size and shape is kind of a cross between a jumbo and a dread.

I have a 12 string rosewood Grand Orchestra too. Mmmm.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-19-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
...Then again, even if they did I don't know that I could bring myself to buy one. They are a Canadian company, but a couple of years back they moved all production out of Canada and to the US. As a Canadian, I don't know that I can support a company that pulled out of the country.
Then you're not looking to buy the best guitar, for you, that you can afford. When you let emotions or anything other than "what is the guitar I love the most, that I can afford", you potentially end up with a second choice. My advice is to always buy what your ears, hands, heart and eyes prefer. No emotions. No politics. No exceptions.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I can very much understand that. So why not use this as an "input filter", and look at the various offerings of the Godin brand family? Not only are they made in Canada (some, at least) but they also use local woods which is recommendable for more than "chauvinist" reasons.
All Godins are made in Canada, it is their electrics that are made in New England.

I have owned Seagulls in the past and would seriously consider one of their (or S&P's) top of the line guitars, but when I get up to that price point why not just add a few hundred and get one from Gibson, Taylor, or Martin?

At least that was my thinking yesterday. Others here have given good advice so maybe I should try their highest end offerings and, if it fits the criteria mentioned above, then go for it regardless of brand.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
It became confusing when we started having all the options that we have now....

Thumb for downstrokes and index finger for upstrokes works well for playing single notes. For strumming, I'd suggest the opposite, unless the medical thing with your hand prevents it.

I am still working out strumming but, right now at least, I seem to be doing OK when using the thumb for downstrokes and index for upstrokes. Well that applies to open chords, when playing power chords on electric I am still working things out.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
All Godins are made in Canada, it is their electrics that are made in New England.

I have owned Seagulls in the past and would seriously consider one of their (or S&P's) top of the line guitars, but when I get up to that price point why not just add a few hundred and get one from Gibson, Taylor, or Martin?

At least that was my thinking yesterday. Others here have given good advice so maybe I should try their highest end offerings and, if it fits the criteria mentioned above, then go for it regardless of brand.
Why spend more for a Gibson/Martin/Taylor if you can get what you like in a Seagull or S&P for less money? The only reason I can think of is possibly for a higher resale value, maybe. But are you looking for a guitar to resale? Or one you hope to keep? Definitely look at the higher end of the Godin guitar lines, you may find exactly what you want. I did in Alvarez, and for hundreds less than I'd have paid for a Martin I got exactly what I wanted. I'm not getting an investment for retirement here. I'm looking for something I'll be happy to play the rest of my life.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:51 AM

It's only confusing when one doesn't know what one wants in a guitar. The only way to know that is to play what you got, in every style you want to play, and take note of what it doesn't do that you'd like it to do. Can you describe (at least to yourself) what tonal qualities you like? Listen to others' guitars, note the differences. Do you know what you prefer in a neck profile? Fretboard width? String spacing? Tone woods? Yeah, lots of variables ... and you don't have to BUY a guitar to try out guitars with different specs, again noting what you like (and don't) about each one.

I've been playing acoustics for 52 years, and have only owned six decent guitars in that time, and still have five of 'em (bought in the last 20 years when I had more disposable income). By the time I was spending more than $2K on a guitar I had enough experience to know exactly what I was looking for. Each one was bought with a purpose in mind ... and is why they're still here.

Or you can do what many do ... keep buying and selling guitars hoping the holy grail will someday drop into your hands. I can't recommend it.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Hi colchar

What is your budget for this guitar you want to buy? I assume you are happy to look at used guitars as much as new?

If you are interested in used, how clean of condition cosmetically does it have to be in for you to feel comfortable with buying a used guitar?

Assuming the used guitar is structurally sound and correct, does it also have to be super clean or can it show signs of cosmetic use and wear, and how much is acceptable to you?

I do not know your budget, maybe I missed that info in an earlier thread...but...based on the type of music you say you will be playing, I would offer the idea of looking for a good used Gibson J45, or Advanced Jumbo, or Southern Jumbo from the late 90's to the mid 2000's. Those 3 guitars would each really sound great for the styles of music you want to play.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I am still working out strumming but, right now at least, I seem to be doing OK when using the thumb for downstrokes and index for upstrokes. Well that applies to open chords, when playing power chords on electric I am still working things out.
My reasoning for using the thumb for upstrokes and index finger (perhaps with one or two more fingers for support) for downstrokes is that you have the hard surface of the nail sliding over the strings, much like a pick. I think that is the way they do it in Flamenco, too.

At least for me, using the soft pad of the finger for strumming is much harder because that side doesn't slide over the strings as easily. It becomes less consistent.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
... a higher resale value, maybe...
I'm tempted to say that the maybe is very much to the point here. Instruments made by the likes of Stradivarius and del Gesu are investment choices, possibly rare and old Martins, Taylors or Gibsons too, but you don't get those for playing (yourself) typically, and I expect they cost a fortune in insurance too.

Having a known name on the instrument probably does make it easier to sell it off for a decent amount, but in the end I am not convinced that you recuperate more of the sum you spent than with a similar quality instrument that cost a lost less initially too. And this is bound to become worse as the quality of "cheap" guitars continues to increase.

It's recurrent advice here just to get a M/T/G and of course that's the easy & safe approach if you have the budget. But where's the fun and satisfaction? To me that lies in trying and searching and trying again, and then finally finding that rare pearl which maybe costs a lot less than you had planned to spend. I'm convinced you develop a completely different relationship with such an instrument than with what you *could* call an expensive mail-order bride.
SPending a few hundreds more to get A Big Name? I'd ask myself how many strings I could buy for that money instead, or possibly a suitable (de)humidifier to keep the instrument(s) in optimum shape.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion