The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
...In the subject 717 Taylor is offering a mahogany, torrified spruce dreadnought with fully rounded edges including the bridge with reduced heel and figured maple binding at 2899 map...
To be clear, the 717 has rosewood back and sides while those of the 517 are hog....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
BTW, I don't think your D-18 has nitro finish.

Yes it does.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:11 AM

Agonised decision making going on here, eh?

I have mine

If you want to keep playing those old jalopies out of tune, fine by me!

Kidding!

Now, nothing to do with any of that but when you look at the photos of the torrefied tops of the 717s, especially the naturals, they look like coarse wholemeal toast but really are smooth as silk! My only other torrefied top to compare is my OM18 and that is 'papery'.

Here is one of my 'reject' photos that got a shadow across the top, looks like the top would be rough cut and splintery, but no:

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 05-07-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:10 AM

Default Any Grand Pacific Owners Around Here???

Quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges. Bracing style aside the features on the 717 put it closer in value to the Martin D-28 modern deluxe which has an msrp of $5200. The md does have adi bracing but it does not have the builder edition rounded features. BTW, I don't think your D-18 has nitro finish.

Hey, I think I'm starting to talk myself in to one of these grand pacific builders models.

Well, I’m talking myself out of one lol

And yes, my D-18 has a wonderful nitro finish and sounds immense compared to the 717. My desire for a 717 was for the rounded edges, but then I snapped out of it and realized that square edges aren’t that bad.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
...the lowest price I can find is $2400 after discount, and I just don’t feel that the 717 is worth it to me when J-45s and HD-28s are less expensive.
Just an interesting point (and slight gripe) from those of us who do not have access to the wonderful buyer's market in the USA: in the UK and Europe, the prices of a D28e and GP717e are close to the same, with the GP costing maybe $50-100 more. The GP is maybe $200 more in versions without electronics. Similar on D18 vs GP 517. And good luck finding any discounts!

For what it's worth, I think the prices reflect the high quality of materials and skilled labor that stand behind each of these fine instruments. The Taylor, though, comes with a full manufacturer warranty in Europe.

Shades of Blue, I don't expect this will make any difference for your buying decision, but I've enjoyed your posts and just thought it was interesting how the two compare in the undiscounted world.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Shades of Blue, I don't expect this will make any difference for your buying decision, but I've enjoyed your posts and just thought it was interesting how the two compare in the undiscounted world.
I think my GAS for a 717 has greatly subsided due to 2 things:

1) The price is just too much for me to consider right now. After playing a 717 and 517, I feel like they are worth it for me at the $2000 or less mark. Rounded edges are not worth $500 to me right now.

2) The small dealer attitude towards Taylor right now seems to be that of annoyance and frustration. Apparently, Taylor isn't handling this launch like their other guitars and small dealers are getting shafted so to speak. Hearing a few dealers' obvious frustration over the phone was enough to make me just hold out for a used one, or just be happy with my stable.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Any Grand Pacific Owners Around Here???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I think my GAS for a 717 has greatly subsided due to 2 things:

1) The price is just too much for me to consider right now. After playing a 717 and 517, I feel like they are worth it for me at the $2000 or less mark. Rounded edges are not worth $500 to me right now.

2) The small dealer attitude towards Taylor right now seems to be that of annoyance and frustration. Apparently, Taylor isn't handling this launch like their other guitars and small dealers are getting shafted so to speak. Hearing a few dealers' obvious frustration over the phone was enough to make me just hold out for a used one, or just be happy with my stable.

The GP’s are in high demand and low inventory is benefiting high volume dealers. Try to go to a small Chevrolet dealer to get a new Corvette Z06 - same situation. If pricing is part of your consideration you’ll be waiting a long time before you’ll see a 717 in your price range. If you want a top of the line model you’ll pay the price.

You are talking Apples and Oranges comparing a 717 to a D18. I have both and they are completely different totally.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
You are talking Apples and Oranges comparing a 717 to a D18. I have both and they are completely different totally.
Sure, they are different, but I don't think it is totally out of the ballpark to compare the two. Maybe the 517 is a better comparison, but the Grand Pacific is now Taylor's dreadnought, so it's only far to assume most will compare Martin dreads and J-45s to the Taylor offering.

My initial draw into the Grand Pacific was the rounded edges. I started researching and listening to videos and decided to try one out. I liked it a lot, felt INCREDIBLE, and I felt like it could be the DADGAD guitar I've been looking for.

I then started researching pricing and can't afford it right now without selling one of my current guitars. When I consider what I'd get for one of my guitars, the Grand Pacific is in no way worth the upcharge.

So no, maybe the Grand Pacific isn't a direct comparison to a D-18, but it is in my situation. I will say, I am considering selling my PRS SC245 though. I just don't care for the guitar at all since I got my Les Paul, and the only reason I keep it is because Paul signed it at an event. I wish I'd got him to sign the cavity cover!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM

I'm still scratching my head with these GP's. I went to the store a few weeks ago to try the whole line of them, with the intent to leave with one of them. The 317 was the best, followed by the 717. I just could not pull the trigger. IMO, the string tension is to tight. The guitar needs a shorter scale length. It is 25.5 (thereabout) and needs to be 24.5 to make it sing.

Tried them again last week after they have all been played. Only one of them sold, the 517 and it was quickly replaced with a new one. It played the same as the rest. Im trying to buy in, but I am leaning on grabbing an Eastman D 40 that is to hit the store in about a month. Should have bought the last one of those I played, but waited to long.

I have to wonder about the limited release of the GP. Is it marketing, availability, or testing the waters where some changes might be made. I am not giving up on the GP just yet, but leaning that way unfortunately.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:32 PM

I played a 517 and a 717, and i really wanted to be blown away, but i wasnt. I thought the 717 was going to sound like my OM-28 having the same woods and all, but it was a little too warm or soft. Not bell-like, it didnt have that chimmey ring that i like. Dont get me wrong, they both sounded great as they should have. In fact, for some reason i liked the 517 better. The gp's seemed a bit heavy in the neck too. Oh well, i'm not giving up, will keep playing them every chance i get. IDK, maybe i'm just so used to my Martin now. Im in my third month of my OM-28 and it just keeps sounding and playing better.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played a Grand Pacific yet, but notice that the tales of disappointment seem to start with the words, "I was expecting....."
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-09-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I'm still scratching my head with these GP's. I went to the store a few weeks ago to try the whole line of them, with the intent to leave with one of them. The 317 was the best, followed by the 717. I just could not pull the trigger. IMO, the string tension is to tight. The guitar needs a shorter scale length. It is 25.5 (thereabout) and needs to be 24.5 to make it sing.

Tried them again last week after they have all been played. Only one of them sold, the 517 and it was quickly replaced with a new one. It played the same as the rest. Im trying to buy in, but I am leaning on grabbing an Eastman D 40 that is to hit the store in about a month. Should have bought the last one of those I played, but waited to long.

I have to wonder about the limited release of the GP. Is it marketing, availability, or testing the waters where some changes might be made. I am not giving up on the GP just yet, but leaning that way unfortunately.
I'm trying these in a couple weeks when the road show finally shows up at my dealer, but the string tension issue is something that concerns me - I primarily do classical fingerstyle and I worry these will be too much work
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
I'm trying these in a couple weeks when the road show finally shows up at my dealer, but the string tension issue is something that concerns me - I primarily do classical fingerstyle and I worry these will be too much work

It’s the same 25.5 scale length as a D18 or D28 or most dreads and comes set up with 13-56 strings. So yes, it’s not on the light side.
I haven’t noticed any difference in string tension between the 517 and my D15, which also has 13’s on it.

Another AGF’er said he has put 12’s on his and that the tone is still excellent.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I haven't played a Grand Pacific yet, but notice that the tales of disappointment seem to start with the words, "I was expecting....."
Well Taylor did build up our expectations. I stopped in at my lgs yesterday to play the 517 and 717 and I am still very impressed by the builders models. They are more like custom guitars than standard models. The attention to detail is second to none.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I just got back from playing at church. Because my J-45 is in the shop, I took my OM/PW today. It's an awesome guitar, super resonant and very loud, but I have used my J-45 for church duty for years and miss not having it in the house.

There is nothing else that sounds like a J-45. NOTHING

Be very careful before selling it is my point.
There's an old saying from Africa. "There are many things in the jungle that sound like they might be a lion. When you actually DO hear a lion, though, there is no doubt about what it is."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion