The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 01:25 PM

I certainly can't add anything to all the good advice given here but I do want to share my own appreciation for you.
Almost as soon as I discovered this amazing place to learn and grow my passion for playing, you were one of the standouts here. I read almost everything you post and have watched a ton of your videos.
I'd just like to tell you...thanks...you're a treasure.
I certainly hope you find a solution that makes you happy.

Last edited by HOF dad; 04-28-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Don't be so silly, Silly. You're far from finished.

There are different levels of treatment for Dupuytren's. I had two of them. After the first treatment did everything it was supposed to do, except straightening my fingers, I asked to skip the second level and go straight to surgery;

The whole reason I started to play guitar two years ago was for PT after the surgery. My hands were a mess and were part of the reason I retired. I had no strength, pain, and my fingers were twisting up like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Now, two years later I do have a bump growing in the palm of each hand, but they're not bad enough to worry about yet. Eventually, they will have to be cut out but not yet.

This is just another setback. You've been through the worst. This is like a little speed bump in the road. Don't get rid of anything yet. But when you do, there will probably be quite a few happy players over there excited about the great new, used guitars they just got.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Musical minimalist

I understand completely - as we age we want/need less. I'm pretty sure you're not going to give it up, but you are heading the way I have been for a while now - at least since I sold 80% of my belongings and moved my stuff into less than 300 sq ft.

When you have so little space, it makes you prioritize - and yes a huge percentage of the stuff in there is dedicated to music (listening/playing/recording/performing) but since I'm not very active in performing any more, it makes me really look at "how much" I really need as opposed to wanting.

Music will always be in our blood, but maybe the blood gets a little thinner

Old 04-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Just wanted to add: from your opening post, you may have always been an over achiever, that you push yourself too hard, or at least, in older age, and you aren’t very old, it might be a good idea just to slow down a bit and take it easy on yourself, maybe not have so high expectations.

But if you want my honest opinion, I would be very hesitant about letting any of your guitars go, if you don’t issues with storage space, each of them is probably a beloved instrument, and best to surround yourself with as much love as possible as you ease into retirement.

My only caveat to this of course, is if you know a young person with talent but little resources, you are in a position to help and mentor as you well know.

All the best, you are the real thing when it comes to great musicianship.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 PM

All of mine were set free some time ago when my preferred style of playing made one guitar better than the rest.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Andi, very sorry that you have to endure such maladies.I do so enjoy your YouTube videos and am very appreciative of your sage advice.
Keep your guitars and keep playing the best you can.
Best Regards,Brad
Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM

So sorry to hear and wish you all the best.
Selling your guitars and deciding whether to moderate or alter your music making seem like different questions to me. The guitars are most valuable to you, so let them go when you want...or don’t let them go.
As for music, like everyone else here I think your YouTube videos are wonderful. And I’d wager that your highest views have come from the ones with you spending considerable time talking and sharing your vast knowledge of instruments and playing and styles. So you’d probably still have a long ways to go even if you stopped playing tomorrow (if you want).
Old 04-28-2019, 02:10 PM

Gotta admit that I feel less than qualified to give you advice. I am six years younger than yourself and have some physical issues going on. Though not as painful and debilitating in the same way, chronic heart disease limits my overall energy and stamina. I love to sing and play and do it as much as I can, it being my only source of income these last 30 years. I feel that it is in my best interest to continue as long as I can or finally succumb to disease or the dreaded, old man voice. I own five, pretty nice guitars, my taste in them being pretty similar to your own. I hate the thought of parting with any of them but when I can no longer play them, should be able to recover a tidy sum for them, along with some nice guns that I seem to have less and less use for. I have a stepson and a nephew who play a little, who I have given guitars. Maybe they will appreciate an upgrade, one day. I guess all I can say is we just have to hang in there as long as we can, while we can. We're all on the same boat or at least, waiting on the same wharf with the same ticket. You were given the gift of music for a reason. Let's see where that leads us.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:11 PM

Hi Andy.......at 72, I too have wondered....if.....or when my time comes... to consider letting go of the guits. I'm so sorry to learn that this is possibly in the mix for you at this time. Compromises, both large and small seem inevitable as we march along into our 70's and beyond!
As I thought this through myself from time to time, I felt if I was sorely limited in playing I'd want to continue appreciating the artistry and whatever sounds I could manage with my guitars. True, it might mean letting go of one here and there, but the sense and sight of a wonderful guitar is something to retain if at all possible!
One other thought..........do you play in any alternate tunings? This might help with your hands.....and there is a world of beauty waiting if you haven't tried this before.
At any rate, best in the struggle......certainly AGF is here for you!!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-28-2019, 02:31 PM

Don’t be silly ,silly you can play loads of songs in 30 mins , enjoy that time with the guitar you know me on tube I have heard you play you have a lot to give maybe in smaller segments , but lord above you have the stamina and the experience to control 30 mins forget giging and enjoy the garden and the guitar my friend, you know it makes sense, you tube is now your audience ....🙂
Old 04-28-2019, 03:05 PM

A little over year ago while recovering from undergoing a calcaneal osteotomy, I discovered I was developing Dupuytren’s contracture in my right hand. Now in my left. (Thanks dad).
I’m not at the point where I need surgery- yet, but my dad said it was one of the worst things he’d ever gone through. Especially the therapy.

I live by Alice Cooper’s words of wisdom- “We sweat and laugh and scream here, ‘cause life is just a dream here”.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Keep your chin up, buddy. I'm right there behind you.

Betty Davis was right when she said, "Getting old ain't for sissies".
Old 04-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I have some arthritic hand changes that are also really disappointing. I have basal thumb pain, one with a Ganglion cyst. Then there's both index fingers that are problematic. I just sold my Goodall Adi/Cocobolo dread because of the way James voices his Traditional series. They need at least medium right hand to get in gear. Although it was the best DADGAD guitar I ever owned. It has HUGE limitless headroom, a monster output guitar. If I would of had that guitar 40 years ago I could of cut through any ensemble.

Silly I like your videos and charisma. I would keep the most responsive low action, low string gauge guitar that you have. Possibly sell the ones that fire up the finger, wrist, and other muscles into pain territory. Maybe commision a lightly built small Froggy Bottom for light Ga. strings only that has good response. Maybe some builders can be recommended here that will make a extra light ga, long scale, easy to fret guitar that still has great tone? Maybe there's a new market acoustic design? Baby boomer arthritis guitars that still have some oomf? Then there's nylon string guitars.

It's interesting that we must surrender such a human accomplishment that is playing music. My fingers are sore right now just typing this. Today's 30 minutes of playing my potent Goodall standard and my rosewood slope. I have a pool tournament tonight and I know forming the resting hands "triangle" will be tough.

Rest is good when inflamed but with 4 great Collings acoustics it must be hard to not play them. I like the hot wax and a dozen layers of warmed wet washcloths for treatment. You can buy an electric paraffin wax melting pan. Dip your hands in the warm wax and then onto 6 warm, damp washcloths - with another 6 on top. Let rest for 15 minutes.... It feels great!
Maybe CBD balm, or that gel someone mentioned, then rest it for a few weeks?

Take care.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

The truth is you never really needed that many guitars in the first place, right?

"Life blooms when existence is it own reward."

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-28-2019, 03:47 PM

Silly Mustache:
I'm so sorry to read of your troubles. I've long enjoyed your posts and videos, and it's hard to imagine you giving up guitar. I'm only a few years behind you, but close enough to have some aches and pains of my own. The specter of losing my ability to play grows closer year by year, but I'm doing OK for now and resolved to enjoy my guitars as much as I can as long as I can. I recommend the same plan to you.

I know at least one talented musician who has taken up steel guitar as his hands fade. I knew another years ago who took up bass playing when age made guitar too difficult. Others have written here about Dobro or slide guitar and that may be a good choice for you as well. If two hours is too much, play as much as you can, even if it's ten minutes a day. I can't imagine you would be happy without your music.

Whatever you decide, thank you, thank you for all of the knowledge and wisdom you've so generously shared in so many ways. I hope you will frequent these boards for another forty years or so and continue teaching and helping other players.

Uncle R.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion