The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Time to part with your beloved Guitars?

Hi, I'm 71, and after the my "annus horribilis" of 2017, and working hard to get my strength and voice back over last year, I'm now having big issues with my hands and, seemingly, the pain and stiffness is about Dupuytens Contracture, which as far as I know is incurable.

I find that a two hour rehearsal leads to terrible pain for the following 24 hours - I'm dropping glass ens this lap top has just fallen on the floor!

I'm running my club, but another two clubs have opened up and my numbers are reducing. The one bluegrass fest we usually play at has been cancelled this year.

Is it time?

I have one guitar that's been in the "shop" for some time, and it occurred to me last night that perhaps I no longer need fout dreads and maybe they should sell it on commission.

I had to retire from the photographic lecture circuit in 2017, and my hands also affect my gardening passion.

Right now, I can't imagine life without singing and playing, but I'm doing less performing now ... is it pipe and slippers time?

As I'm only two years in from the start of the baby boomer generation, is this when we all start dumping our treasures?

Will we see a whole load of fine guitars on the market?

Anybody else in this position?
Old 04-28-2019, 07:18 AM

I’m sorry that you’re struggling. I can’t offer help through personal experience. But I can offer some encouragement. Your YouTube channel appears to be touching more people daily than perhaps even your live performances. Don’t give up. Maybe you don’t need all the guitars. But, you’ve still got the talent and passion. Find the right way to put it to use. And, play in smaller doses. I’ve got players in my club who suffer the same maladies. They still attend and participate. They don’t play every song. But they feel the music nonetheless.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:26 AM

Im 72 with all sorts of health problems but intend to keep one guitar even after I cant play. Just the conclusion Ive come to. So keep one, sell the rest is my suggestion. By the way Ive watched your channel frequently, keep at it.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

As long as you can use them, keep at least a couple around. But as we age out of being able to do certain activities, it does make sense to eliminate or at least greatly reduce the gear we have for those activities. I'm not there with guitars (although I've never had many - I have three electrics and one acoustic and don't want or need more), but I've been through it with bicycling, which was a real passion of mine for about 20 years. My health limited how much I could ride and seeing the reduced level I was able to ride at, I just decided to pack it in and over a period of a few years I sold all of my bikes except my town/grocery/errand bike.

I think once you've done something well, still being able to do it at a greatly reduced level is as bad or worse than just giving it up and moving on to something else. I've also greatly reduced my photographic gear as health problems have limited my ability to go out and walk for most of the day, which I did a LOT of as an avid street photographer for several years.

As long as you can play and derive pleasure from your guitars, keep them, or at least keep SOME of them - I think the number of guitars some of us have is a totally different issue. But if you get to the point you can't, sell them or give them to others who can enjoy them going forward as you have up to this point.

Only you know when it's time, but when it's time, it's time.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Yo Andy,

Sorry to hear your struggles and I empathize with your Dup-Contracture because my wife has it too. I searched for cures to no avail, only surgery to remove some slow it down... As far as your guitars go, I would maybe give one to a family member as an air loom, or to someone in need. Sell two others then keep one that is easiest to play for light playing so you can still enjoy it. Forget the pipe, you don't need to pollute your lungs, especially because you can still perform with your voice!

Wishing you the best,

eric
Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 AM

I'm 72. I had prostate cancer and now I've got a lot of arthritis in my hands. I don't perform and I don't play in private as much as I used to . . . . but I'm not giving up my guitars yet.

By in large - with the exception of my Pete Seeger 12-string Baritone - the size of my guitars don't make much difference. I can play my dreads and my grand jumbo as easily as I can play my 0-18. I have switched to light or extra-light strings on all of my guitars and that seems to help.

I enjoy reading your posts and listening to an occasional YouTube video. I can't imagine you not playing. But good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm not at the pipe and slippers stage yet but I do enjoy a good single malt and a cigar every now and then.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I’m on your page, Andy. I’m 72, had three ‘Anni Horibili’ in 2006, 2007, and 2014 which I survived (obvs!) and I have pretty bad arthritis in the bases of my thumbs, my finger-joints, and my hips. Because of other medications I’m on, I can’t take anti-inflammatories such as Naproxen, so the only treatment I have is to apply Voltarol Gel 2.32% seven or eight times a day.

I’ve also found that, as time has gone on, I’ve lost a lot of confidence playing out and, as the nerves have taken hold, I’ve given up doing ‘proper’ solo gigs, and I limit myself to band-gigs, which amount to maybe one a month now - just as well we don’t do too many because a rehearsal and the gig leave me in a great deal of pain for several days. Like you, I drop things, can’t open jars, can’t hang on to a flat-pick, yadda yadda.

However, I just can’t get my head around offloading my guitars and mando - they’ve taken a lot of acquiring, they are the culmination of many years playing ‘lesser’, cheaper instruments, and they mean a lot to me. Things may change but, for now, I’m keeping them.

Keep us posted on how things progress - you never know, you might influence my plans...

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Hi Silly, sorry to hear of you recent misfortunes. If you're not able to physically play the 2 hour sessions there's nothing wrong with playing at home for 10 minute intervals a few times a day.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:54 AM

Aging is a never-ending series of indignities...

Sending love and best wishes across the Atlantic.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-28-2019, 07:57 AM

Sorry to hear it. It seems unfair that just as you recovered from an awful year, something else comes along. I'm at the tail end of the boom at 55. We all wonder how many good years we've got left, I think. This is why I've been working hard on retirement preparation; I think the years from 60 to 70 will be my best, and I don't want to spend any of them working.

I believe you're correct about the upcoming glut of classic instruments to hit the used market - its going to be great for the younger buyers but not so great for the older players trying to fund rising medical costs.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear of your plight, Silly. I would anticipate a surplus of great guitars once we've gone on to that great beyond, and our non guitar playing beneficiaries get their hands on our instruments...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 AM

I am sorry to hear about the obstacles you face in pursuing your passions-- things can really suck sometimes. You've faced your fair share of difficulties yet remained able to not only derive pleasure from but also give pleasure with your talents; for that, I am personally grateful and in your debt.

I hate the English saying, good luck. There's no luck about it! I'll leave it at, "remain courageous". Regardless of many of the physical limitations you face, I still could listen to you read the phone book. If all you were able to do was prop yourself up and tell stories, I'm sure you'd enrich the lives of more than just me.

All I can offer is my thanks and the hopes that you remain courageous.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Andy I just had surgery on three of my four left hand finger to help correct Dupuytrens Contractor. My situation was fairly advanced with those three fingers bent from 30-90 degrees, pinky was useless. Playing became very difficult.

My surgeon said 2-6 months before full use has been regained. My lefthand is in a partial cast and immobilized for two weeks, then the stitches are removed and rehab begins. If I want to continue to play this had to be done, same with you. A big decision is ahead of you but this is a progressive condition and your fingers will end up in a permanent curl and totally useless to even hold a fork. Get it done before it is too late.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM

It seems just as we get really good, with age the feeling we can put into a song, the vulnerability and connection to a greater humanity, we start to break down physically.

You’ve done well, the hands are priceless to your expression, I wish I could offer some suggestions but I’m younger and foolish.

I’ve given away a couple of guitars already. I realize now it was John Lennon who’s had the deepest influence on my life -

“Imagine no possessions”

Time to let the younger fools take over I guess?
Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Silly. You’re one of my favorite folks on the forum. You regularly offer us some wonderful (and unique) wisdom. I’m hoping you’ll be able to keep at least some of your guitars around and that they will continue giving you great pleasure.

I didn’t even start playing guitar until I retired five years ago. So I am the Boomer buying guitars not selling them. Though I’ve had my own bout with cancer, I’m blessed that my health is good again. And as long as it holds out I’ll keep banging on my guitars...even if it’s only to entertain my dog and grandkids.

Hang in there, buddy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion