The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I had a custome TOM-r that was one of the best sounding guitars I have owned. If it wasn't for the narrower string spacing I never would have let it go.
I have a custom TOM-R as well and I love it. Fantastic guitar. The T in TOM stands for "traditional". As such, it has a 1.75" nut. That is my preferred nut width on a steel-string. Is the nut width smaller than that on yours, or do you prefer a wider nut width?
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

TOM R Custom ( torrified adirondack top) I use D'addario EXP PB lights seem to work well on the guitar.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

As to strings, H & D uses D'Addario EXPs on new. Sound find to me but a little stiff playing. I find that GHS Vintage Bronze sound fabulous on my DS, but just for a little while...

Never tried DR Sunbeams, those could be good. I found DR Rare mediums to be way too stiff on the guitar the once I tried them...too stiff like something might break if I left them on stiff! Last summer I had to resort to DR Rares and tried lights, they were fine and got me through the guitar camp...kept them on a bit afterwards actually...
Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

There is a new dealer in CT, have not had the chance to get down there yet, its south of Hartford...they have a Crossroads and T-0014 shown on their web page.

Sadly, Maple Leaf Guitars in Brattleboro VT no longer exists. ME in Lexington, MA occasionally gets one in used, but they are not a dealer for new pieces...also it seems, they are for
just about everything else!

Last edited by Bill Ashton; 01-05-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Two Huss & Daltons reside in my herd. First acquisition was a basic OM, but calling it basic does it a major disservice, cause it's a magnificent guitar. Plays like a dream and sings like a songbird. Lots of bearclaw, tasty inlay work. Great for blues, folk, even fingerstyle. But for fingerstyle, I gravitate toward my newest pride and joy, a sunburst 00 Custom. Marvelous instrument and supremely gorgeous. Both came with D'Addario EXP 12/53 strings. The OM is due for a change and it's gonna be Elixir Nanowebs this time, to see which I prefer (I run Elixir on most of my guitars). Then, when the 00 needs strings, I may stay EXP, not sure. Bottom line, I'm a staunch H&D fan. Out of all the guitars I've played, nobody builds better.

Santa Cruz H13
Huss & Dalton 00 Custom
Santa Cruz OM Grand
Boucher SG21G
Collings CJ35
Bourgeois Slope D Custom
Furch D22TSR
Gibson J45 Deluxe
Furch OM MM
Larrivee OM-02
Paul Beard Resonator
Nashville Tele
Slick SL-55
Sire Larry Carlton S7
Slick SL-60
Harmony Comet
PRS SE Silver Sky
Custom S Type
Thinline Tele
AXL USA Artist
AXL USA Bulldog

Old 01-27-2018, 07:54 PM

I have 2. One is a MJC Cedar over Sinker Mahogany. Just a fabulous instrument in every way. I have bought and sold many fine guitars over the years, but this one is staying with me.
The second is a custom DS with torrified Adi over Caracollia Mahagony. Also a wonderful guitar. In my opinion, H&D guitars are some of the finest being built today.
'77 Guild G 41/ Martin HD 28 MP/ Martin OM 18 A/ '91 Taylor 510/ '96 Taylor 710 Braz/ Taylor 714 CE/ Taylor GS BTO Sinker Redwood/Madi/ RTaylor style 3 Adi/Eir/ H&D MJC Cedar/Mahog/ Taylor 518e (#2)/ H&D custom DS/ Martin custom D18 Sinker
Old 01-27-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

I currently own a 2017 Huss & Dalton TD-R. In the past I've owned a new 2004 Huss & Dalton DS Rosewood and a new 2006 Huss & Dalton D-RH. I have nothing but high compliments for this company and their customer service is great too. I recently called with a question about my new TD-R and got to talk to Mark Dalton, who couldn't have been more friendly and informative!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

I have owned a couple and still miss my T-0014. I am a big fan of H&D guitars!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Pilgrim w/ torrified sitka over sinker mahogany here. Since getting it, I barely pick up my SCGC Tony Rice or the Martin D-28CW. I've played most of the major large hole dreads out there and the HD is the one I keep going back to.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:51 PM

Just under a month into ownership of a used CM-12S Custom 12 string (NGD post here). Extremely responsive, excellent workmanship and all I could ask for in a guitar. Would definitely consider another H&D, but they are rarer than hen's teeth here in the UK.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Talking Newbie

1st time H&D owner.....2012 Crossroads Yowser!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
... I have nothing but high compliments for this company and their customer service is great too. I recently called with a question about my new TD-R and got to talk to Mark Dalton, who couldn't have been more friendly and informative!
I've seen positive comments about their customer service before, but how do you get in touch with them? Being in the UK, calling is not best option. I tried their webpage based contact form twice but got no reply - was just after confirmation of build date on my recent acquisition and some background details on the custom aspect ie I wonder how many maple 12s they've made.

Anyone got an actual email address I could try?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
I've seen positive comments about their customer service before, but how do you get in touch with them? Being in the UK, calling is not best option. I tried their webpage based contact form twice but got no reply - was just after confirmation of build date on my recent acquisition and some background details on the custom aspect ie I wonder how many maple 12s they've made.

Anyone got an actual email address I could try?
http://hussanddalton.com/contact

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-10-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Yep, that's the contact page with the webform I used, but got no reply.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Just to say that H&D got in touch today - it seems their email system fell over. They answered my dating query and made my day - it seems they've only ever made 5(!) custom maple CM 12-strings, which makes mine pretty exclusive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion