The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I'd recommend "The Martian" by Andy Weir...
I'm not a big sci-fi guy, but this audiobook was excellent!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the recommendation. The Martian was a great audiobook. Unfortunately, I've read it in the last year. I'll probably re-read it after some time. The movie was good too, but like most, it didn't compare well with the book. The visuals were amazing though. Do you have a second pick?

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks, mainly just on trips. The last one I listened to was "The Girl in the Spider's Web"--not at the Martian level, but it was good and held my interest. It's book 4 in the Lisbeth Salander (Girl With the Dragon Tatoo) series. Good luck finding a new selection!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks. I haven't read that series yet. After seeing the Swedish movies, it seemed one of those "have to be in the mood for" kind of stories. I'll get around to it, but I'm not in a dark enough mindset today. I read real books plenty too, so any non audio picks are welcome too.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

How about the "Dog Stars" by Peter Heller? Haven't heard the audiobook--just read the book.....
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Just want to say that I am enjoying this thread. First thread I read from start to Finish in one sitting.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-27-2015, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Mbroady! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Hope you keep following along and get in on a vote before it's all done.

Nemoman, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

I thought I would post a video of gluing the back on. It's about 5 minutes long. This may be like watching paint dry. If you think so, I can post a video of that.

Or watch here: Kinnaird F1 Back Gluing

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Ok well we'll vote on FB inlay when the time comes. Now, if you want to get deep into this build, help me out. I listen to audiobooks while I build and I'm just about finished with my current book, Now Wait for Last Year by Philip K Dick, if you're interested. I read/listen to all genres, so feel free to offer a suggestion for my next listen. I can't prove that it implants a vibe to the build, but it might. It definitely gives a vibe to the builder. What you got for me?
If you like Doctor Who, Blakes 7 and stuff like that check out Big Finish Audio, they do full length original audio dramas for this titles and others. Some are offered free on their website.

Fun build. If I were building a guitar, there would be calls of cruelty to instruments as I have no talent with tools.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 10-27-2015, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Colin, I'll have to check them out. And, I've had a lot of training in private so no one will call the ASPCG on me.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ok here's the quick recap of the day. Back is on the guitar! For those of you who didn't watch the video (and I know you didn't) there's a pic here. Plus, all the braces are on the top - ready to be carved/voiced tomorrow.

Back being strangled by premium rubber:

And the top with all the braces glued on in the voted on configuration:

Just assume that all those braces were pre-fashioned, pre-radiused, and pre-thinned and you'll realize that I've been taking it easy this week.

The Boss comes home tomorrow. So our fun is rapidly coming to a close, but I bet we can squeeze in a couple interesting things before we get drawn back to the real world.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Looking good Ryan, looks like you have a lot of carving to do tomorrow to slim down those braces...

Yes, I did watch the video as well...
Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Tom. Honestly I haven't been playing your guitar out of utter fear of putting a ding in it. I did strum it for my wife. She said that not only did it sound great, but she thought it was perfectly appointed. This is pretty high praise from my wife who sees a lot of guitars, and while respectful, is not necessarily enamored with them. This was the best response I've seen her give to an instrument. Hopefully Kathy feels the same!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

***Warning*** Mainly non-guitar related post ***Warning***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
How about the "Dog Stars" by Peter Heller? Haven't heard the audiobook--just read the book.....
Nemoman, I got a fair way into The Dog Stars yesterday, and I wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I don't know you or what you do, but if you liked this book, then there's at least a kinship of thought that I can salute. A knowing nod that says "Carry on and good luck." This is the kind of book that when I get done and recommend to someone else, they look at me funny after a few chapters in. I think it worries my wife a little.

I don't want to make too many assumptions about where the story will lead as it continues, but if the vibe you were trying to get out this build is soulful, then we may have achieved it. The haunting quality of this book reminds me of a movie I watched last year that I will recommend called The Wall. It is based on a German novel Die Wand (The Wall) by Marlen Haushofer.

I'm an avid reader of survival stories, both real and fictional. Something about the call to overcome the difficulty that life presents - as if reading about it will make it so for me. I find it unsettling, even in the little parts of life, when I find people resigned to their troubles. I'm not saying I'm better, but there is something in me that says, "I want more. I will not stop. I will overcome this too."

Admittedly, though I have a great family and close friends, I don't mind being alone. It's part of what I enjoy about lutherie. A vast majority of luthiers are loners. We have conventions, and it's funny because it's like a reunion of people who prefer to not get together. It actually makes for some surprisingly close fellowship. But once every two or three years is plenty. Actually the desire to be alone is what makes working with Steve such great fun. Like in this story, the main character has a partner where they make it work, Steve and I work well as a team. It's a lot of times like - he does his thing and I do mine and in the end it all comes together - but, isolation leads to eccentricity. We do a good job keeping each other focussed and balanced.

Earlier this year I read On The Beach by Nevil Shute. The world's ending and the story follows some normal people through the last oppressive days. While tinged in sorrow, the book is hopeful. I don't ultimately know where The Dog Stars will lead, but at least so far it's a search for hope. These are the stories I like best. "and hope does not disappoint..."

Sorry for this digression. I hope you'll forgive my wistfulness.

and SPOILER: Dogs always die. It's really just a fact to resign oneself to. One day my goal is to write an epic apocalyptic saga where in the end after all the struggles of body and soul, the people don't make it, but the dog lives.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Ok well we'll vote on FB inlay when the time comes. Now, if you want to get deep into this build, help me out. I listen to audiobooks while I build and I'm just about finished with my current book, Now Wait for Last Year by Philip K Dick, if you're interested. I read/listen to all genres, so feel free to offer a suggestion for my next listen. I can't prove that it implants a vibe to the build, but it might. It definitely gives a vibe to the builder. What you got for me?
I was introduced to Christopher Moore about a year ago and since then I've read through nearly his entire catalog. I'd suggest "A Dirty Job" as a good starting point. There were parts of that book that had me laughing to the point where my eyes were tearing.

Here's the description:
Charlie Asher is a pretty normal guy with a normal life, married to a bright and pretty woman who actually loves him for his normalcy. They're even about to have their first child. Yes, Charlie's doing okay—until people start dropping dead around him, and everywhere he goes a dark presence whispers to him from under the streets. Charlie Asher, it seems, has been recruited for a new position: as Death. It's a dirty job. But, hey! Somebody's gotta do it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop