The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-20-2007, 06:44 PM

I am not sure that I get why it was so difficult to work with Cocobolo, is it that its to hard to steam and bend or is it like some woods that have a memory and tend to want to bend back into its original shape and would you need a special compound then to help fill the pores of the wood prior to whatever coating you are going to use, I have worked with some woods and have never yet tried to work with this one, but I certainly would be curious,someone I think mentioned that the dust can be , I think they said toxic, is this the same thing that made Tims (McKnight ) friend in the shop get sick.Ship
Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
I am not sure that I get why it was so difficult to work with Cocobolo, is it that its to hard to steam and bend or is it like some woods that have a memory and tend to want to bend back into its original shape and would you need a special compound then to help fill the pores of the wood prior to whatever coating you are going to use, I have worked with some woods and have never yet tried to work with this one, but I certainly would be curious,someone I think mentioned that the dust can be , I think they said toxic, is this the same thing that made Tims (McKnight ) friend in the shop get sick.Ship
For Trevor, it's been that it's a very oily wood. Basically he was saying you can't use regular glue. He had to use Epoxy to be able to glue the wood.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
wow, nice choices with the wood combos. very classy. i usually don't go for the "sapwood" thing but with the headstock, rosette and bindings this should be a stunner. you must be feeling great about it.

good luck with the guitar.

bill
Thanks, I seem to think so too
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

There are two main reasons why working with Cocobolo is difficult. Cocobolo is actually quite affordable but the increased difficulty in the build process is the reason for the (usually significant) upcharge.

The first is that it is oily. I know folks who have used Titebond with good success but I certainly wouldn't trust a normal PVA glue. Instead, I use an epoxy specifically meant for gluing resinous hardwoods. It is very expensive and not as convenient to use as regular glue.

The second and primary reason is that the dust is a sensitizing agent. If you work with it long enough, you WILL develop a more serious reaction to it - like getting exposed to poison ivy over and over. Eventually, just the smallest touch will set you off. Folks with lung conditions or bad allergies react strongly to it. I don't have any adverse reactions to it but I make certain to clean up the dust very well. So when I am working with Cocobolo I spend a heck of a lot more time cleaning up the dust. More time, more money.

As far as the wood cracking - I believe a lot of this hype is surrounding a bunch of Taylor (?) guitars that had problems. I heard that the issue was to improper conditioning of the wood prior to use. From my limited experience with building with Cocobolo - it appears very stable.

--
Simon Fay
Old 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosx View Post
There are two main reasons why working with Cocobolo is difficult. Cocobolo is actually quite affordable but the increased difficulty in the build process is the reason for the (usually significant) upcharge.

The first is that it is oily. I know folks who have used Titebond with good success but I certainly wouldn't trust a normal PVA glue. Instead, I use an epoxy specifically meant for gluing resinous hardwoods. It is very expensive and not as convenient to use as regular glue.

The second and primary reason is that the dust is a sensitizing agent. If you work with it long enough, you WILL develop a more serious reaction to it - like getting exposed to poison ivy over and over. Eventually, just the smallest touch will set you off. Folks with lung conditions or bad allergies react strongly to it. I don't have any adverse reactions to it but I make certain to clean up the dust very well. So when I am working with Cocobolo I spend a heck of a lot more time cleaning up the dust. More time, more money.

As far as the wood cracking - I believe a lot of this hype is surrounding a bunch of Taylor (?) guitars that had problems. I heard that the issue was to improper conditioning of the wood prior to use. From my limited experience with building with Cocobolo - it appears very stable.

--
Simon Fay
That explains things. I count it fortunate that I made it on Trevor's list to build the cocobolo. Maybe if this one turns out and nicely and generates a lot of interest, a little begging might work!!

Trevor did say he ALWAYS uses a mask when sawing to keep out the dust...
Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Trevor's sent me some more progress pics. I think it's coming along really nicely. The different woods are really coming together. Just a bit longer and it will be done!!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on the sapwood on the headstock. Do you think it's better to have the sap go all the way to the top and forgo the logo or have it go 2/3 up and then include a logo?

I've seen it done both ways. I'm not sure what's best...
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Personally, I like the sapwood running all the way (having a similar thing done on the OM build I currently have in progress with Joel Stehr) and would then look for the logo to be done in a material that would look good when it spans both the wood and sap. Paua might be a good choice for the "k", or maybe Bloodwood might be better to tie it in with the neck, rossette and binding/purfling?
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

I like the idea of no logo, just showing off the beauty of the wood.

-Mike
Old 01-28-2008, 08:32 PM

I love to see the wood in all its glory. I'd opt out of the headstock logo but probably still only have the sapwood go ~halfway to the top.

Wenge B/S Lutz/Cedar Double Top
Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM

One vote for each, and one for "mid", keep them coming. If I were to do the logo I'd do the logo maybe in bloodwood or Koa for some contrast. Logo on the heel cap maybe?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Got some more updates

The guitar is coming along, the body finished, fretboard inlayed, and headstock pretty much done. I guess it will be a few more weeks. The Cocobolo is turning out pretty nice I think, and the combo of woods really is working and the Bearclaw really adds to it... please share in my excitement!!

Finished Body, bearclaw really showing:

Sideview with soundport:

I think the back is pretty stunning!

The neck and inlay are almost there:

Headstock with bloodwood purfling. Coming out pretty nice...

Old 03-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Stunning. Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
*mahoganut*

Very beautiful. Clearly is a guitar you'll want to pick up and play!
RR

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up

She is a real beauty. I especially love the sapwood on the back and headplate. Keep those pics coming!
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop