The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
My opinion is that Martin management won't entertain any ideas that can't be an extension of 'tradition', and doubly so for any ideas that the sainted management team hadn't thought up themselves.
I have no comment/opinion on that but I can tell you Martin didn't build a full size jumbo guitar with 17" lower bout until ..... 2009!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Congrats! Glad you found what you were looking for.

Best,
Jayne
Boy, I'll say -- Shekie has done better than U2....! :-)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:29 AM

wondering if your guitar is set up properly -dreads are not that bad on the body
when their properly set up. in fact i tend to like bigger guitars when their set up properly
-i have my aches and pains as well -but the biggest suffering comes from hard to play instruments.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
wondering if your guitar is set up properly -dreads are not that bad on the body
when their properly set up. in fact i tend to like bigger guitars when their set up properly
-i have my aches and pains as well -but the biggest suffering comes from hard to play instruments.
I can't speak for others, but dreadnoughts definitely are harder on my right shoulder. This largely is due to the depth, which also makes it less comfortable to play than thinner-bodied guitars. I still have and play a dread (which is set up quite nicely), but limit my time on it.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Well done, Shekie!

I find the slope shoulder, short scale of the 45 more comfortable than the square shoulder dreads. And they have the proper thump.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. I wish Martin would make the same (older version D Jr.) guitars with higher end appointments. Am I in the minority here? I would even be willing to pay for it because these D Jr.s are fantastic guitars. Stay with me here;

Imagine that Martin adds

- a gloss finish
- binding on front and back
- Waverly tuners
- and maybe a Jr. D28? (tell me THAT wouldn't be cool )

Just thinking out loud and we know it won't happen as they have already changed this model (for the worse IMO). Now to get a guitar like I mention above it would be custom. So, I guess it really makes me happy that I already have a D Jr.2 because that guitar has most of what I would ask for in a downsized Dread. Great job Martin!!
Add to that; 24.9 scale

I've had my Djr for over a year and two flying trips. I love the thing. Right now it's my only guitar at the upstate house and I'm fine with that. To me, it feels like an 00 Martin that sits a little higher on my leg.

Give me this exact guitar in gloss, 24.9 or 24.75 scale. Price it at $1100 so Maury and others can sell it between $650 and $700 and I'll be the first to order!
Old 05-27-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Add to that; 24.9 scale

I've had my Djr for over a year and two flying trips. I love the thing. Right now it's my only guitar at the upstate house and I'm fine with that. To me, it feels like an 00 Martin that sits a little higher on my leg.

Give me this exact guitar in gloss, 24.9 or 24.75 scale. Price it at $1100 so Maury and others can sell it between $650 and $700 and I'll be the first to order!
Yes! I didn't even think to add onto the scale length. I think a 24.9 would be great. These truly are fantastic guitars. I was thinking about selling my D Jr.2 (Ver. 1) and then I played it today. Nope....can't do it. And to think these will get better with age?
Old 05-28-2019, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
Yamaha FGs are shoulder-friendly compared to the average dread.
I remember it this way also. My Yamaha f335 actually measured larger than my MartinX dread but it was more comfortable to play. Anyone else notice this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion