The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Olson SJ BRW

I've only had my Olson SJ "The Tree" for a bit over a week and I've already nearly dinged it twice.

The first time I stopped about an inch away from banging the top against the mic stand. And the second time I actually swung the guitar against that same mic stand -- but miraculously the metal pole got stuck between two tuner buttons and never touched the wood. A friend of mine actually had to help me separate the two objects.

All of this is telling me that I need a less blingy Olson. It's not a matter of money as there isn't that much of a difference -- but a plain guitar always survives a few marks better than one with paua all over the place.

And quite objectively, the Olson SJ is a really good fit with my visual and sonic preferences.

So I've asked Jim to build me something similar to James Taylor's signature guitar -- but with BRW back and sides and BRW veneer on the back of the peghead. Everything else, including the three-ring rosette, the solid MOP inlays and even the black pickguard, will be "vintage" spec.

Here's a picture of the guitar that inspired me:

So another Olson build will start in just a few months. Yes, it's very unreasonable -- but we only live once...

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 PM

Congrats on your beautiful guitar... are you planning to have another cedar topped SJ??? One of the best Olsons I have played had an Engelmann spruce over braz... Happy New Gear, I mean Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Congrats on your beautiful guitar... are you planning to have another cedar topped SJ??? One of the best Olsons I have played had an Engelmann spruce over braz... Happy New Gear, I mean Happy New Year
Thanks!

Yes it will be another cedar top Olson. Sonically it won't be too far off the one I already have -- but it's semi important for me to own a guitar that is close enough to JT's main guitar. As silly as it may seem, I really want that black pickguard!

If all goes well, I'll commission a blingy Olson with a spruce top in 2014.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM

If I were blessed enough to own an Olson, it would look exactly like that. Great choice!

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
If all goes well, I'll commission a blingy Olson with a spruce top in 2014.
3 olsons

I wish I wish I wish.

You are a lucky man joe
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM

You are ordering an Olson beater? Dang!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Guest 213

Ok, Joe, you are not helping my contentment with this new thread!!!

Seriously, I am very excited for you and am eager to watch this thread as it develops. As I mentioned to you before, IF I am able to commission a second Olson, it will definitely be spruce/RW non-cutaway. But no pick guard, not even clear. I just can't do it But I know what you are going for here (classic JT).
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM

Oh, my goodness, Mau! Already "The Tree" Olson, and now a braz/cedar on order, and potentially a braz/spruce in a couple of years?!?! I save my pennies to get my one Olson, and I feel very fortunate to own that. It's currently shown on Jim's website under "Recently Sold" at the bottom of page 3. Not much bling, but I sure love it!

http://www.olsonguitars.com/rs.php?page=3

I look forward to your continuing this thread once the build begins.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
If I were blessed enough to own an Olson, it would look exactly like that. Great choice!
Thank you!

I actually saw a similarly appointed model at Jim's shop -- and in person it is really gorgeous. The photos often make the guitar look a bit bland -- but with the pickguard on it has a great vibe.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeM View Post
3 olsons

I wish I wish I wish.

You are a lucky man joe
Well, for now, just one Olson...

I grew up in a suburb of Montreal dreaming of owning a car so I could stay out past 11 pm. Now I live downtown and call a taxi when I have to go anywhere. Huge yearly savings.

I've also lived in the same modest place for the past 10 years and my mortgage accounts for less than 5% of my income.

I'll look for a bigger place when I run out of storage room for my guitars!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
You are ordering an Olson beater? Dang!
I beat my guitars very gently -- but yes, an Olson beater indeed.

I treat my guitars very nicely but I do play long hours -- wear and tear will inevitably show up. I'm not much of a collector but I'd like to spare the ornate Olson a bit if I can...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Ok, Joe, you are not helping my contentment with this new thread!!!

Seriously, I am very excited for you and am eager to watch this thread as it develops. As I mentioned to you before, IF I am able to commission a second Olson, it will definitely be spruce/RW non-cutaway. But no pick guard, not even clear. I just can't do it But I know what you are going for here (classic JT).
Hey Jon,

Yeah I call it my "faux JTSM". From the front it'll be just like the signature model. I actually prefer the JTSM I to the new/upgraded model.

I meant to ask you, do you use your Charis and Olson in similar contexts or do you try to spare the Olson a bit when you choose which instrument to play/gig with? I was curious to know what motivated you to commission those three builds.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Wow! Another Olson?

I guess as a previous customer you must get preferential access to Jim's build schedule. That's amazing!

Congrats big guy! I know you can make em' sing. Seems only fitting you should have a few.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I've only had my Olson SJ "The Tree" for a bit over a week and I've already nearly dinged it twice.

The first time I stopped about an inch away from banging the top against the mic stand. And the second time I actually swung the guitar against that same mic stand -- but miraculously the metal pole got stuck between two tuner buttons and never touched the wood. A friend of mine actually had to help me separate the two objects.

All of this is telling me that I need a less blingy Olson. It's not a matter of money as there isn't that much of a difference -- but a plain guitar always survives a few marks better than one with paua all over the place.

And quite objectively, the Olson SJ is a really good fit with my visual and sonic preferences.

So I've asked Jim to build me something similar to James Taylor's signature guitar -- but with BRW back and sides and BRW veneer on the back of the peghead. Everything else, including the three-ring rosette, the solid MOP inlays and even the black pickguard, will be "vintage" spec.

Here's a picture of the guitar that inspired me:

So another Olson build will start in just a few months. Yes, it's very unreasonable -- but we only live once...

Happy New Year!
if I were you I think I would do the same thing.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Hey Jon,

Yeah I call it my "faux JTSM". From the front it'll be just like the signature model. I actually prefer the JTSM I to the new/upgraded model.

I meant to ask you, do you use your Charis and Olson in similar contexts or do you try to spare the Olson a bit when you choose which instrument to play/gig with? I was curious to know what motivated you to commission those three builds.
The bottom line: tonal variety. I use them interchangeably pretty much regardless of the type of piece, depending on what mood I'm in As to what motivated the builds, it was hearing Michael Card perform and record with both a Charis and Olson. Michael played a cedar/EIR Charis GC and also an cedar/EIR Olson SJ. I wanted the spruce/EIR Charis to replace my original Charis that I had sold with similar specs.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop