The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM

I own an E10-OOM with sapele top, back and sides.
This is my most comfortable guitar to sing with.
Balanced tone, just enough Harmonics to sound musical but not so rich that my voice couldn't compete.
Sustain is much better than you'd expect from a so-called "blues box".
I agree with the general opinion : Eastman OOs play bigger than their size.

Back to the question in the OP : I would pick the E10.
I'm starting to realise that I like mahogany better in small guitars, and I think a Sitka top is fine for fingerstyle.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:27 PM

I've tried a lot of 00 models in my search these past few months. I've kept my search for models priced under $2,000 as the Eastman's 00 are priced from $1,100 to $1,200. That leaves out quite a few guitars that normally would be thought of right away.
It's been alot of fun trying out different models that fall in the same category as the Eastman's in price, materials and quality. But through my search i keep coming back to these 2 models, E10 or E20. Anyways, thanks for any input you can come up with.

Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 10-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
......I have played both models and each guitar has it's strong points and at times they can be very different sounding guitars. I feel for what they're designed for (my thoughts) finger style playing, accomplish that feat very well and it comes down to what sound i like, rosewood or mahogany. I like what both guitars bring to the table and would love to own either one.

Thanks,

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
I own both and they are without a doubt the best guitar bargains on the market!!
I’ve been following this thread, and I too am looking for a smaller type guitar (probably a 000/OM size) myself. And trying to decide between Rosewood and Mahogany.
Not to hijack the thread, but what are the differences in sound & strengths between the woods that you guys are referring to?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Wow! I thought this thread had long died and went to to the big archive in the sky. In April i was all set to purchase the E10 00 when a little family matter came up, my daughter announcing she was getting married this past summer in San Francisco.
Well that put the guitar purchase on hold for the time being, but gave me more time in searching and playing more 00's. Since then i've played a Martin's new 00-18, 00L-17, 00-15, SCGC 1929 00, Eric Skye model 00, Gibson's Keb Mo model, more Eastman's 00, Larrivee's, etc.etc. Notice a mahogany thread going here? The 00-18 and the Eric Skye model really caught my ear.
To make a longer story shorter, i'm still searching for that right guitar. When i finally pick up the one that has that tone, the feel and is so easy to play, my search will be over. In the meantime, I'm happy to play with what i have.

Tom

P.S. The original $2,000 limit has at least doubled in this fun search.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-21-2024, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Reviving this as I see from your signature that you now have both the Eastman E10 and the Martin 00-18. Among others, these are the two front runners I am looking at. May I bother you to jot down some thoughts of one vs the other. I am a near beginner at best focusing on finger style.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-21-2024, 07:20 AM

I own the 10 OM and 10P, just couldn't find a Eastman 10 00 when I was in the market so I bought the 10P.

Whether I'm playing with fingers or pick both of mine can be played as quiet as a church mouse...strum very little and when I do I can strum quietly, don't have to beat the heck out of the guitar and don't want to, so loudness is of no concern

Only had 1 rosewood DT30, sold it to a friend that wanted it, just liked my 10 mo' better

Last edited by Jaxon; 04-21-2024 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxn2 View Post
Reviving this as I see from your signature that you now have both the Eastman E10 and the Martin 00-18. Among others, these are the two front runners I am looking at. May I bother you to jot down some thoughts of one vs the other. I am a near beginner at best focusing on finger style.

Thanks,

Don
Well these two models are really quite different. First off the the E10 is a 12 fret and the 00-18 is 14 fret. String spacing and neck shape are very different. A full C shape Neck for the Eastman and a somewhat thinner MLO for the Martin.Top woods are different, Adi for the Eastman and Sitka for the Martin. Slotted headstock for the Eastman and paddle head for the Marin. Fretboard radius 12" for the Eastman and 16" for the Martin. Both are short scale which I like. Finish quality is very close but I give Martin the edge in that dept.

The Martin is lighter construction than the Eastman. My Eastman came with a 20 year old top and I've owned it for 5 years so it's broken in and it's louder than the Martin because of the top but the Martin sounds drier with a touch of more bottom end. I use both for finger style only depending on mood I probably play the Martin a tad more especially if I'm using a light touch it seems to articulate the sound notes better. If I'm playing and need a little more space then the Eastman comes in very handy. I love 12 fret necks and that's why I own 2 12 fretters and my 000-15 SM is my favorite guitar at the moment as I prefer mahogany over rosewood. Also I think Eastman's combo of Adi/Mahogany is their best wood combo tone wise.

So I hope this may help you or not. I bought the Martin before the Eastman so the decision was much easier if that makes sense.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-21-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well these two models are really quite different. First off the the E10 is a 12 fret and the 00-18 is 14 fret. String spacing and neck shape are very different. A full C shape Neck for the Eastman and a somewhat thinner MLO for the Martin.Top woods are different, Adi for the Eastman and Sitka for the Martin. Slotted headstock for the Eastman and paddle head for the Marin. Fretboard radius 12" for the Eastman and 16" for the Martin. Both are short scale which I like. Finish quality is very close but I give Martin the edge in that dept.

The Martin is lighter construction than the Eastman. My Eastman came with a 20 year old top and I've owned it for 5 years so it's broken in and it's louder than the Martin because of the top but the Martin sounds drier with a touch of more bottom end. I use both for finger style only depending on mood I probably play the Martin a tad more especially if I'm using a light touch it seems to articulate the sound notes better. If I'm playing and need a little more space then the Eastman comes in very handy. I love 12 fret necks and that's why I own 2 12 fretters and my 000-15 SM is my favorite guitar at the moment as I prefer mahogany over rosewood. Also I think Eastman's combo of Adi/Mahogany is their best wood combo tone wise.

So I hope this may help you or not. I bought the Martin before the Eastman so the decision was much easier if that makes sense.
Thank you. I very much appreciate the response. It is helpful.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Tom, if I may pile on, how would you compare the E10 00 to the 000-15SM? I know the Martin is your preference at the moment. I can't play either before purchase, so I'd love to get your thoughts. I'm a big fan of 12-fretters. I just returned a 000-15M (14-fret version). It sounded great in the bass and mids, but I couldn't get on with the trebles (a little thin to my ears). My guess is the 12-fret 000-15SM "rounds" those trebles out a bit. I also have been looking the E10 00, just hard to find one to play.

Would love to get your honest thoughts. Appreciate it!
Old 04-21-2024, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Tom, if I may pile on, how would you compare the E10 00 to the 000-15SM? I know the Martin is your preference at the moment. I can't play either before purchase, so I'd love to get your thoughts. I'm a big fan of 12-fretters. I just returned a 000-15M (14-fret version). It sounded great in the bass and mids, but I couldn't get on with the trebles (a little thin to my ears). My guess is the 12-fret 000-15SM "rounds" those trebles out a bit. I also have been looking the E10 00, just hard to find one to play.

Would love to get your honest thoughts. Appreciate it!
Again as with my other post these two guitars are somewhat different. But I think they're closer in features than the E10 and the 00-18. I used to own a 000-15M but you're right the trebles can be somewhat thin on a all mahogany guitar to my ears also. I traded it in for a 00-15M and for some reason I just couldn't bond with it so I traded it in for the 000-15SM 2 years ago and have very happy with the tone and ease of play. All 15 series are very lightly built and I think it helps with the ease of playing.

Also I think the E10 00 is more one dimensional guitar as I only fingerpick with it. I don't mean that in a bad way but I wouldn't have the E10 as my only guitar. Now the Martin SM model I feel you could build or add a guitar or two around it as is definitely to me is an all around guitar. It comes with wider string spacing than the 000-15M and the limited strumming I do it handles that very well also. But to me the SM shines when it comes to fingerpicking the tone is dry, warm and the mids shine thru with just a little more bass to my ears than the 00, 000-15's. The 12 fret setups puts the bridge in right spot of the lower body and the upper bout is stretched to meet the neck which creates more space in the upper reaches.

The E10 00 is a keeper along with the 00-18 and the 000-15SM. Been starting to look for a 00-18VS to complete my collection. Sorry about straying away but those VS models are something else but much more expensive. That means my E20 OMSB will be sent to the pastures. Gotta love small body mahogany guitars!

Hope this helps, you really can't go wrong with either model.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-21-2024, 11:07 AM

Forgot one important feature on 000-15SM, it's long scale 25.4 verses the short scale 24.9 on the E10 00. I feel the longer scale length does increase string tension and a little more volume. Lately I've been using SCGC low tension Parabolic strings and I'm thinking I'm liking them more than the Monels. Actually using the same strings on my E10 00. Like 'em a lot.
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-21-2024, 11:26 AM

Thank you for the breakdown, Tom! You've got some fine guitars
Old 04-22-2024, 10:32 AM

I have a 20OO, but I don't have a 10OO (though I do have a 10OOSS). They will sound different, but they are the same guitar other than the wood for the back and sides.

If you know the wood you typically prefer, pick that one. I got the 20OO not because I prefer rosewood, but because I already had a similar body size Furch with mahogany.

The Eastman is a great guitar. I may be biased, as I have a lot of Eastmans.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
I have a 20OO, but I don't have a 10OO (though I do have a 10OOSS). They will sound different, but they are the same guitar other than the wood for the back and sides.

If you know the wood you typically prefer, pick that one. I got the 20OO not because I prefer rosewood, but because I already had a similar body size Furch with mahogany.

The Eastman is a great guitar. I may be biased, as I have a lot of Eastmans.
I was curious about what Eastmans are selling for in relation to MAP? A e20 om tc is listed now at about 1850.00. Are these pretty much what people are paying for new ones?
Old 04-28-2024, 05:40 PM

I own an Eastman E1ss ltd. For me it's the Adi topped Eastmans that really have a unique sound to them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion