The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-03-2022, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Best pickup to use with wireless?

When last I performed with my duo, pre-covid, I used a Cordoba nylon-string A/E with an inexpensive wireless unit. It worked well.

Now, I'm seeking a pickup for my Guild GAD small-body steel-string. I ask: what aftermarket pickup works best with a wireless? I have another guitar with a passive JJB pickup, and it doesn't sound good if you plug the little wireless unit into it. I surmise that I'd need a pickup for my Guild that includes an onboard preamp.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2022, 07:30 AM

Small nugget of info that might be relevant.

I have a Takamine guitar w/preamp and various other instruments with passive SBTs. If I use a normal short-ish jack lead I get a comparable tone in all, if I use wireless the passive pickups need to be put through a Boss ge-7 EQ at the receive end for boost/EQ adjustment.

It's pretty obvious this is an input impedance issue so I would suggest an active system would be best.

Unfortunately not all wireless systems work nice with active preamps so some exploration would be required.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:12 AM

If you’re thinking of the plug-in your guitar jack type of devices, pickups with an onboard preamp installed in the system can cause unwanted noise when in proximity to the wireless device.
As far as what type of pickup itself, I have three different ones in three different guitars, two are passive and one with a preamp.
One is a JJB. I recommend a preamp with any passive system for a number of reasons, none the least of which is a better tone.
I use the Fire-eye Twin which functions as a D.I. and a preamp.

https://www.fire-eye.com/#home

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-04-2022 at 05:19 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification