The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-30-2022, 07:31 PM

Default LR Baggs Element Issue

Gibson L-00 with factory installed Element. When I touch the volume wheel I hear static and when I turn the volume knob up, the sound cuts off. A Gibson factory tech in Berkeley asked if I had any action work done. I have not. The only thing is I’ve changed the strings. I had someone change them for me. I’ve heard that if you don’t leave a couple strings on to keep pressure on the saddle it might cause issues with the pickup sensor under the saddle. I changed the battery recently too.

Any thoughts on the issue?
Old 10-01-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyd View Post
Gibson L-00 with factory installed Element. When I touch the volume wheel I hear static and when I turn the volume knob up, the sound cuts off. A Gibson factory tech in Berkeley asked if I had any action work done. I have not. The only thing is I’ve changed the strings. I had someone change them for me. I’ve heard that if you don’t leave a couple strings on to keep pressure on the saddle it might cause issues with the pickup sensor under the saddle. I changed the battery recently too.

My Baggs Element did that exact thing mid-song at a gig. In between songs I cut the wires with my pocket knife and it went to maximum volume, which was just fine with me.

I later permanently removed the wiring and volume / tone wheel assembly. I now avoid any use of these types of controls which I've found to be unreliable.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I have a 2019 L-00, and while I have not experienced your problem, it sounds like a ground problem.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:09 PM

Could be something between the saddle and the piezo. Or maybe your battery. Batteries don't last forever even when not in use. I would try a different battery then if thats not it, loosen the strings enough to easily pull them out of the bridge and inspect the piezo and saddle. Or it could be the volume wheel. Some deoxit in the volume wheel might help. You might have to remove the volume wheel when you do that and make sure your guitar is covered so you don't get that spray anywhere on it.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:24 PM

Thanks! I’m gonna take it to Gibson factory guy in Berkeley.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:

My Alvarez was like that also... very picky... but in another way...Halfway notch your ok, slip pass that and boom big sound and feedback... I could get it to work but very touchy and boomy
Old 10-09-2022, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I had one in my J35 Reissue, and while I didn't have a 'short' or anything, the sound was not very good. After a certain point, the sound became very quacky and trebly....

I have a Mojotone NC-1 in it now, sound is worlds better. I am considering an Anthem SL also.

I think maybe the Element is like Road bike factory saddles. Bike makers know you're gonna swap 'em anyway, so they install a low common denominator.....?

as usual, ymmv.
Old 10-09-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:

This is almost certainly an issue of the volume wheel alone and not the pickup. This happens all the time with electric guitars (and is exactly happening with a dimmer on a light switch in our house). It’s a cheap and easy fix. Annoying, but not unusual and not a big deal.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
I had one in my J35 Reissue, and while I didn't have a 'short' or anything, the sound was not very good. After a certain point, the sound became very quacky and trebly....

I have a Mojotone NC-1 in it now, sound is worlds better. I am considering an Anthem SL also.

I think maybe the Element is like Road bike factory saddles. Bike makers know you're gonna swap 'em anyway, so they install a low common denominator.....?

as usual, ymmv.
I agree. And when you pay $2000 for a guitar, it’d be nice if they would put an Anthem SL in it.
Old 10-09-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnrbq View Post
This is almost certainly an issue of the volume wheel alone and not the pickup. This happens all the time with electric guitars (and is exactly happening with a dimmer on a light switch in our house). It’s a cheap and easy fix. Annoying, but not unusual and not a big deal.
I agree it is the wheel
Old 10-12-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Pretty cheap just to replace the Element with new one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification