The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2022, 08:38 AM

Default Evolve 50m vs 30m Sound Comparison

Does anyone have experience with both the Evolve 50m and 30m on acoustic guitar and vocals?

I'm currently using a 30m. I've read where the 50m has a fuller/smoother sound. I'm not looking for more volume, but am looking for a fuller/smoother sound for outdoor gigs.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:27 AM

I have both, and you have to push the levels quite a bit before you can hear the difference. The output from one 50M is the same as two 30Ms. Larger outdoor spaces are where the difference becomes apparent.

Another thing to think about is that in smaller spaces, you are more likely to be playing as a single or a duo. In larger outdoor spaces is where you are going to add more musicians, and the ethernet coupling of two of them for more mixer channels also becomes useful.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
Does anyone have experience with both the Evolve 50m and 30m on acoustic guitar and vocals?

I'm currently using a 30m. I've read where the 50m has a fuller/smoother sound. I'm not looking for more volume, but am looking for a fuller/smoother sound for outdoor gigs.

If you are happy with the volume level you are getting out of the EV 30M, I doubt you will hear much difference in quality moving to the 50M. Maybe a bit more throw, but the sound is about the same until you push it.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:13 PM

For those of you who have a 30m and a 50m, do you find that just one speaker does the trick in your acoustic indoor and outdoor gigs?
Old 09-15-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson189 View Post
For those of you who have a 30m and a 50m, do you find that just one speaker does the trick in your acoustic indoor and outdoor gigs?

I have two of each. If I was to do it again, I believe I would buy one 30M and two 50Ms.

Most of the time, one speaker is fine but there are times where you need the extra coverage. The coverage of a single column (either model) is 120 degrees. That is pretty good, but there are times when you need wider dispersion, or there is a wing off to a side, or some of the audience is behind you.

If you had two, you would only use one most of the time, but there certainly are times when you would need them both, especially outdoors.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:53 PM

Two 50ms? Wow, I'd have to do a lot of gigs to cover the cost of those!
Old 09-19-2022, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

I chose the 50M as it sounded more full to me, even at low volumes. But, I tested that in the store by playing well--recorded acoustic music similar to what I play. It's the physics thing--more and bigger speakers. That said, I never tested the two in my gig settings, and I'm sure the 30M would get it done, but I still find the 50M is portable enough, and I've used it when I really needed the extra throw. So I'll defer to lKinston and others who actually own both.
BTW the best sound that I've experienced with my 50M (from a monitoring perspective) was sitting down, and using the short pole, with the unit a few feet in front of me and to the left. I typically stand, and my ears get mostly the top column which can sound a bit bright, but with the short pole sitting it's a more even mix of column and sub--I actually felt I sang better as a result. There is less throw though with the short pole, but I think it sound pretty much the same to the audience otherwise.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:55 AM

A big reason for me getting both is that I drive a Mini Cooper Clubman. It has slightly more room than a regular Mini, but only incrementally. I use a single 30M 90% of the time, and I appreciate the regular space savings.

A friend of mine drives a big pickup truck with an extended cab and covered cargo bed. I advised him to just get the 50M because that small amount of space savings really didn’t matter to him.

From a stage layout perspective, the difference between the two is minimal. Either one takes less stage floor space than a single speaker stand.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:21 PM

I love my new 30M. Would have bought the 50M but couldn’t find one in stock when I needed it. The 30M is great though. One thing I love is that the pole break down into 3 pieces. Easier to pack. I don’t think the 50M does that but I could be wrong.

All that said, we came from using 2 QSCs on poles and one QSC 8.2 as a floor monitor. What I’ve gone to when we need/want more coverage is just adding the 8.2 on a pole to go along with the 30M. Really sounds great. And still pretty easy to set up/tear down.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
I love my new 30M. Would have bought the 50M but couldn’t find one in stock when I needed it. The 30M is great though. One thing I love is that the pole break down into 3 pieces. Easier to pack. I don’t think the 50M does that but I could be wrong.
You're not wrong. It's one thing I believe many don't know when talking about 30m v. 50m portability. The latter's stick consists of one tall support pole and one tall driver column. Much more of a pain to lug than the 30m's, broken down into three pieces.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:32 PM

To me, the ethernet connection to combine the mixers on two 50Ms is a pretty big deal. This opens up three and four piece acoustic band outdoor performances without an external mixer. Only on the 50M.
Old 08-12-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post

I have both and I can definitely hear the difference: The 50M is fuller and smoother at all volume levels. The 30M is punchy in comparison. I only use the 50M now for all of my gigs, indoors and out. I still have the 30 as a backup, but am thinking of unloading it for a used 50M.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

I have both the 30M and 50M. I agree with many that the the 50M is a bit more full sounding. I do really like the smaller size of the 30M and have used it both indoors and outdoors and it works fine.

Now I've found that the 50M top works with the 30M bottom. There is very little difference in the sound when you run it that way. I may see if I can buy just the top of the 50M and "convert" my 30M to that setup permanently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification