The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-30-2022, 01:03 PM

Default Acoustic Guitar Live Mic - DPA 4099, Bartlett, K&K trinity

I'm looking to upgrade my acoustic sound. As with most other acoustic gigging musicians, I have struggled to find a pickup that does any justice to my guitars. I am looking to add a mic in addition to my k&k pure mini and use a zoom a3 preamp to blend the two signals. My trio uses IEMs so feedback shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I have scoured the internet and have narrowed down my options to three (please let me know if you know of any other good options). The best option seems to be the DPA 4099, but is also the most expensive. Im also looking at the bartlett and k&k trinity systems. Does anyone have experience with any of these on acoustic guitar? Is it worth shelling out for the 4099? Thanks y'all.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:15 AM

I can't help you except to suggest you post this in the Amplification section. There are some very knowledgeable folks who hang out there.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

If you don’t move around a lot, I’d suggest a decent sdc on a mic stand. So much of a mics sounds is distance from source as well as position as relates to instrument. Then balance your monitors between the mic and onboard preamp to the point you don’t have issues with feedback. FOH sound can be blended to optimize sound.

If not possible to be relatively stationary, spend the money for the DPA. Those mini mics at or in the sound hole sound like trash to me. Who listens to a guitar with their head in the soundhole? Nobody. If given a choice, what competent sound engineer mics a guitar right at the soundhole? None.

If you go the cheap route, buy a decent EQ, you are going to need it.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
If you don’t move around a lot, I’d suggest a decent sdc on a mic stand. So much of a mics sounds is distance from source as well as position as relates to instrument. Then balance your monitors between the mic and onboard preamp to the point you don’t have issues with feedback. FOH sound can be blended to optimize sound.

If not possible to be relatively stationary, spend the money for the DPA. Those mini mics at or in the sound hole sound like trash to me. Who listens to a guitar with their head in the soundhole? Nobody. If given a choice, what competent sound engineer mics a guitar right at the soundhole? None.

If you go the cheap route, buy a decent EQ, you are going to need it.

I move around quite a bit so I think I have to go with something mounted to the guitar. Do you have any experience with the atm350? Seems like a good DPA competitor. Thanks for the advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
mic, pickup