The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-27-2022, 07:20 PM

Default Inexpensive Mic for ditto looper

I recently inherited a Cajon (drum box) and want to be able to record (via Ditto looper) some basic percussion - end goal to overlay guitar parts.
Will need a basic Mic for this, and expect there are lots of folks out there who do this often. The sound quality does not need to ne exceptional, but decent would be good.
Budget is limited. Suggestions for reasonable Mic options?
Tnx!
Old 09-28-2022, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwandsh View Post
I recently inherited a Cajon (drum box) and want to be able to record (via Ditto looper) some basic percussion - end goal to overlay guitar parts.
Will need a basic Mic for this, and expect there are lots of folks out there who do this often. The sound quality does not need to ne exceptional, but decent would be good.
Tnx!
A used EV Cobalt Co9. GC has them for under $40 regularly. They used to blow them out for $29. Or the Behringer 8500 gets love here on the forum.

Definitely get a dynamic mic. You CAN use a 1/4" TS (male mono) to XLR female cable to go into the loop pedal, but it is advisable to use an XLR male to XLR female cable in conjunction with a matching transformer that has the TS/female XLR adapter.

I've hooked mics to looper either way with the same results.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:38 AM

A contact microphone attached to the Cajon would not pick up ambient sounds.

Considering the low cost of inexpensive microphones, contact microphones and piezo pickups you might not want to do this, but making one of your own is an alternative.

There are instructions on the internet abunch. Here is one:

https://www.instructables.com/Make-a...ct-Microphone/
Old 09-28-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwandsh View Post
Tnx!
Miking a drum or cajon will be problematic if you're monitoring your looper output with a speaker. Ideally you want to develop your loops so none of your previously recorded loops will be re-recorded in the looping process.

Once you buy a mic and stand you're a good part of the way to buying something like the KAT Multi-pad. You get lots of different drums, percussion, and effects that can be patched to your looper directly.

If you are going to pick up an inexpensive mic I'd go with the Behringer 8500. Inexpensive, sturdy, sounds good, and is around $20 shipping included.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-28-2022 at 01:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification