The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The thing is that the elastic modulus of spruce can vary by a factor of 2 (i.e. 200%) even within the same species. So, even if Moon Spruce gave you 10% (the paper I referenced didn't actually measure the modulus...just density and strength), you'd have better luck just randomly trying out different versions of a guitar to find a "good" one.

In a previous AGF thread, someone referred to Moon Spruce as belonging to the species Marketus Gimickus, which is pretty close to the mark .
RE: playing guitars to find the right one, I'm not suggesting otherwise. Way too many variables in any guitar to count on getting lucky buying one off the internet. Of course it's marketing, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to it. It can be both hype and be grounded in real differences. I just wouldn't turn up my nose to one or dismiss it because of hype.

One of the benefits of living in a large urban area like here in the bay, is that you get a TON of great shops with great guitars to play in person, as well as a thriving craigslist market. We're lucky here, we don't have to order online and hope for the best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion