The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 01:52 PM

Well, I took the guitar to licensed Taylor tech Third Coast, who spoke to Taylor. The response:

Did hear back from Taylor yesterday after some email exchanges. They don't usually cover fret wear, but they said they would be willing to cover a fret redressing on your guitar as a customer accommodation.

Taylor says the fret wire they use is exactly the same as it has always been and if you are playing it, the frets will wear like tires on a car. Every factory says the same thing, fret wear is just not covered by anyone I know of even in the first 3 months.

-----
So, at least they'll cover it? I still find it odd that the wear is so much worse on this guitar in 1.5 months than on guitars that I've had for years.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
Well, I took the guitar to licensed Taylor tech Third Coast, who spoke to Taylor. The response:

Did hear back from Taylor yesterday after some email exchanges. They don't usually cover fret wear, but they said they would be willing to cover a fret redressing on your guitar as a customer accommodation.

Taylor says the fret wire they use is exactly the same as it has always been and if you are playing it, the frets will wear like tires on a car. Every factory says the same thing, fret wear is just not covered by anyone I know of even in the first 3 months.

-----
So, at least they'll cover it? I still find it odd that the wear is so much worse on this guitar in 1.5 months than on guitars that I've had for years.
That's positive news. I thinking that specific fretwire was bad from the factory... shouldn't have passed QA inspection off the line. Your new frets should be fine.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post

-----
Well, that’s kinda good news. If there’s something wrong with those frets (and I suspect there is) a redressing is just postponing the inevitable. At least Taylor stepped up. But fret wear coming this quick is odd...

Old 09-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I have seen this phenomena before. The above photo was from a dulcimer that actually had new stainless steel frets on it. The strings in question were never fretted, they were drone strings, and there was no obvious sound of any fret buzz. It looks very similar to your B string issue.

My theory (and it is just a theory) is that this is not normal fret wear, which is where the fret wears at the point where the string is fretted. But it is caused by something else - I have just not worked out definitively what that is!!!! It can't be 'normal' fret wear because on that dulcimer those drone strings are never fretted.

I hope you get it sorted. I would talk to your tech about the fact that this may not be 'normal' fret wear.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:42 PM

Wow.

I have had and played -- a lot- a 1978 Yamaha FG365s guitar that has less fret wear than that. Heck, the wood on the fretboard is scalloped under the strings from all the playing I've done in 41 years but not that level of fret wear.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 11-21-2022, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

So, what happened with this? How are the frets now?
Old 11-21-2022, 10:39 PM

The aftermath of this story: Taylor covered the fret dressing and the guitar came back to me looking new. I played it for a couple of months after that and it looked to me like they were starting to deform again. I ended up trading it in at a Guitar Center. I eventually got an AD17, it does not seem to have the same issues, though I have not played it as much as I had that AD27.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

This is another benefit of owning at least 5+ guitars and playing in rotation. Sounds like you have some guitar shopping to do.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
This is another benefit of owning at least 5+ guitars and playing in rotation. Sounds like you have some guitar shopping to do.
HERE HERE!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-22-2022, 09:59 AM

I own 2 Taylor guitars that I bought new in the last 3 to 4 years - a 214ce and a GS Mini, both of which seem to experience fret wear much faster than my non-Taylor guitars. I have a Martin D-16 that I have owned for about 20 years that I have played the heck out of with only a small amount of wear on the B and high E. Before that I had a Yamaha for 15 years or so as my main acoustic and it had very little wear as well. I also have a couple of electrics that I have played quite a bit, same story, not enough wear to worry about. I even have a 50 year old Harmony Stella that I recently inherited - I don't play it much, but it has zero fret wear and it was a low cost student guitar when it was built in the 1960's. I can't imagine that I do anything differently with my Taylors to cause the frets to wear faster - I use Elixir PBs on all my acoustics, use a capo a similar amount, etc. I think I play with a fairly light touch too. I can only conclude that they use softer fret wire for some reason, maybe it has to do with their manufacturing process?.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:18 AM

I know folks are reporting greater wear on Taylors vs their other acoustics, and so the variable genuinely seems like the guitar's frets. But Taylor does not, afaik and have read and listened, manufacture their own wire. Nor does Martin, Yamaha, Cort, et.al. It's as if the world uses Dunlop wire for the regular nickel.

So, clearly, what is the variable at play here? Player? How "guitar a" is played vs guit b, or c? How about setup? String height at the nut plays a big role in how hard one plays; this along with saddle height changes the dynamic of how one attacks the strings and board. I don't have the absolute answer, nor does anyone have a definitive response except that we all have our own experiences, so every one of own anecdotes color the narrative.

Until someone says with absolute authority that Taylor uses their own proprietary wire, I can only say this "phenomenon" is likely due to a variety of variables having to do with guitar setups, individuals' differing playing styles, and owner perception, all of which vary wildly and none of which is absolutely quantifiable.

So how's that for a "definite maybe" as the real answer

Edward
Old 11-22-2022, 10:37 AM

I have a Taylor GS that developed a couple waves in the fretboard, it went back to the factory for a fix that necessitated a full refret. I went back with gold EVO frets. I'd highly recommend them.

Scott
Old 11-22-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
...I went back with gold EVO frets. I'd highly recommend them.
Scott
Hey Scott,

OT here, but my 08 DN has seen lots of playing, been through two level/crowns, and so I decided on a refret: Jescar Evo wire which I just got back last week. Wow! I already have been a devotee of SS frets on electrics, but this is my first on an acoustic. All benefits with zero drawbacks! Wow ...why the heck did I wait this long?

Edward
Old 11-22-2022, 05:47 PM

wow ill haveto check my 312
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 11-22-2022, 06:16 PM

If this was a "fret wire" problem, why does the wear only show up on the B string? I don't see any path to pinning the problem on the wire.

I make and play a variety of fretted instruments and switched to EVO several years back. I won't use anything else. A lot of players could get a lifetime of service from EVO frets and never need to change them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion