The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 05:46 PM

Default Reverb Bump Fees

Reverb started off by charging a 3.5% sales commission. Life was good.

Then they introduced a bump feature. Up to another 3.5% commission. Shady.

Then Reverb raised it to a 5% bump feature. Up to you, but if you don't bump, your listing will get buried. Sucks.

Then Reverb raised its sales commission to 5%.

Then Reverb started collecting sales tax. Not Reverb's fault, but how did they react to this, by helping out the buyers and sellers?
Heck no.

The latest from Reverb. A sneaky 30% bump option.
Meaning, 5% sales commission, 3% payment processing fee, and a possible 30% bump commission on top of it all.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I've never bumped a listing on Reverb and have never had an issue selling a guitar on there without it. Maybe it would've helped a couple listings sell a week or two earlier, but I don't think there's much value in it. Just an easy way for them to make a bit extra off of sellers.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:51 PM

I can't comment on their commissions as I've never sold anything on Reverb, but why would you expect them to provide some sort "help" when they were forced to collect sales tax?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 05-14-2021, 06:17 PM

Reverb is getting as bad as eBay. Thank God for this forum’s classifieds.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Reverb is getting as bad as eBay. Thank God for this forum’s classifieds.
This ^ ^ ^
Old 05-14-2021, 06:35 PM

I recently sold a Guitar on Reverb. After the sale, I noticed they had charged me bump fees. I did not bump it. I emailed them about it and they replied on three different occasions that they removed the fees. But nothing changed. Finally I called them out on it and they said they would reduce the fee by half, after them saying they had removed it three times!! I declined. I refunded the sale. Shady company.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 PM

I’ve sold over 500 items on Reverb without using their Bumps. You absolutely do not need to use them.

Why would you expect them to help you because Sales Tax is required? That has nothing to do with them, it’s required by each state.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:08 PM

I never bump. Serious buyers search for what they want.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 05-14-2021, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Reverb has sure changed, especially since being sold to Etsy, but it seems to still be a major market place for musical things. And I far prefer it to ebay.

Just a question for those who have sold recently, what is the total fee scale you wind up paying without bump fees, and including whatever paypal or similar reverb agent fees? And, what percent of your sales have been unpleasant, contested by the recipient in some way, or downright returned?

Thanks for your comments in advance, and I sure hope this is not a thread derail. OP let me know and I’ll delete.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:27 PM

From time to time I look at Reverb listings, and every single time I come away gobsmacked at how much sellers are asking, especially for new guitars. Often I see stuff advertised on Reverb for hundreds of dollars more than I would pay by walking into a small local shop and buying in person (never mind the bigger discount places). I'm not really interested in buying on-line anyway (I want to touch and play before I buy) but Reverb puts me right off.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:20 AM

My Reverb experiences have been 100% positive, except with tire-kickers, but that's not the fault of Reverb. In terms of fees, try getting this level of fee by putting your guitar on consignment, where you'll get less exposure. If you think the price is too high, then don't use the service - go to that wonderful "somewhere else" with the same exposure and lower fees..

PS e-bay is now off my list of selling places since their decision to stop sellers receiving payment into their personal PayPal account - there is NO way I will give my bank account details to e-bay (which is what is required now).
Old 05-15-2021, 05:40 AM

What would Reverb do if a buyer sees a guitar on Reverb, but instead of buying it through Reverb, buys it directly from the dealer?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:41 AM

I don't know too many Reverb users who don't know how to use the search feature when seriously looking for something to purchase.

If someone is looking at top-posting or featuring to sell their offerings then they should probably consider that their price is set too high in the first place.

You can lower your price anytime on Reverb at no cost and THAT will encourage a purchase much more than "featuring", which usually gets skimmed over by someone actually looking to buy.

I guess it's like asking yourself how many items sell at the grocery store simply by placing them near the cash register.

How many guitar players would select a guitar at Guitar Center by them putting it on a stand by the counter?

For Reverb: List your item at an appropriate price and don't "bump" unless you like to throw away your money.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:02 AM

I love my local CL.

Never had a problem with plenty of sales and I only deal in cash with local clients.

I do most of my deals at our local Police Station. Makes everyone feel safe when you're dealing in cash and eliminates the scammers.

AND... CL is free!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_null View Post
Why would you expect them to help you because Sales Tax is required? That has nothing to do with them, it’s required by each state.
I think the question is more like "why wouldn't a savvy marketplace like Reverb take a small hit to their now-increased fee to attract more sellers to its marketplace, given the extra tax burden that's already holding down sales?" It's not to "help" me - it's to help Reverb get more sales volume, and consequently, more money for Reverb.

I haven't bought/sold any large items on Reverb since their fee jump on top of the tax hit. Not to mention the inflated instrument prices. It's just not worth the hassle, or potential joy, with the cost to "try something out" now raised so much. They used to make pretty good money off of me, but not so much, lately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion