The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 02:19 PM

Hey Robin,
I have the Sigma CF100(The Gibson copy), great guitar for the price.
I was so impressed I bought the J45 copy also, outstanding value and great sound. I didn't like the pick guards so took them off. Pity you live up in North Wales, I'm down south otherwise you could pop in and try them out.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:39 PM

I also love my Farida OT-22.

I don't compare it to a vintage LG2 with a NEW NECK (which is what Stapleton is playing in the video above), but it sounds ALOT like that dry, Gibson tone. It doesn't have the APPARENT low end that you hear on that video, but is that the guitar, or the recording???

If I had the cash, I'd be "perpetual shopping" for an old LG2. But I don't. And I absolutely love my Farida.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 05-15-2021, 03:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I think that I'm going to put the GAS on hold until I can afford to look seriously at getting a Gibson LG-2, perhaps the new mahogany/spruce 50s Original (2020) version (if that ever happens!). I don't think that any of the cheaper alternatives suggested here, none of which seems to be available in the UK anyway, would offer a great advantage over my present guitar. I know my present guitar well and, to my ears, it has a tone not a million miles away from the old maple backed LG-2s when I record it (but without the Gibson LG-2 hollowness). Actually, the LG-2 recently caught my eye/ears because it is so like what I'm playing now but seems to have a bit more of something (plus Gibson on the headstock LOL!!!). So I think that I'll leave it there, keep working on my playing and singing, and wait for my lottery ticket numbers to come up!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. I think that I'm going to put the GAS on hold until I can afford to look seriously at getting a Gibson LG-2, perhaps the new mahogany/spruce 50s Original (2020) version (if that ever happens!). I don't think that any of the cheaper alternatives suggested here, none of which seems to be available in the UK anyway, would offer a great advantage over my present guitar. I know my present guitar well and, to my ears, it has a tone not a million miles away from the old maple backed LG-2s when I record it (but without the Gibson LG-2 hollowness). Actually, the LG-2 recently caught my eye/ears because it is so like what I'm playing now but seems to have a bit more of something (plus Gibson on the headstock LOL!!!). So I think that I'll leave it there, keep working on my playing and singing, and wait for my lottery ticket numbers to come up!
You’re doing the right thing! The 50’s original LG-2 are great guitars! The necks on them are super comfortable.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 05-15-2021, 06:06 AM

Make sure you look at Atkin also when the time comes, there LG Gibson inspired models are fantastic! A used Atkin would be a great affordable option if you could find one.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion