The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
And if I were going to attempt it, I'd probably purchase an Ear Trumpet Labs mic. They have been hand-building and voicing mics especially for live play for a long time now.
They seem to work well when one mic is used for both guitar and vocal.

Two caveats: This is a condenser mic and requires phantom power. If you are using it for both guitar and vocal it must be placed some distance away (typically 18"-24") to pick up both, so room acoustics will be more of a factor than when you are close-mic'ing either vocal or guitar.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
They seem to work well when one mic is used for both guitar and vocal.

Two caveats: This is a condenser mic and requires phantom power. If you are using it for both guitar and vocal it must be placed some distance away (typically 18"-24") to pick up both, so room acoustics will be more of a factor than when you are close-mic'ing either vocal or guitar.
Additionally, using a large diaphragm condenser like the ETL requires careful consideration of the amplification system. I think a speaker that is more "directional" helps with feedback, and those with wide dispersion like the Bose and other array systems make it hard to control. For example, I can dial in a pretty good sound/volume with my K10.2, but my S1 Bose is almost instant feedback. I also don't find them to be very monitor friendly if you need to use those.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:05 AM

I've learned that for "louder" gigs, I simply don't need the air and the accuracy of a condenser mic. Quite the opposite. I'm enjoying my Shure Beta 56, a supercardioid dynamic most often used on drums.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

A mic can work well for relatively low volume gigs with a good PA system (with speakers out front and little or no monitor). I've never had any luck using them thru a combo amp at anything other than whisper quiet settings. If you're using an amp, I'd recommend a pickup and ToneDexter. More than close enough to mics for a live gig.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
Hello,

I have recently acquired a Collings without any electronics installed. I am hesitant to put a K&K or other pickup in it and am wondering what mics are being used when playing live. For context, I use a Schertler Jam 150.

I have read a ton on line but am curious to hear from those on the forum as to what s/he might recommend. Is it as simple as a SM-57 or would a SM-81be better on a stage.

Thanks!
I use a DPA d:vote 4099G Core with my guitar. It's a dedicated, high quality instrumental condenser microphone. Check it out, if you happen to have the opportunity. I have a Tonedexter as a backup, if I play in an environment the 4099 can't handle. Until now I've had to use the Tonedexter only once, due to a windy open air venue.

Last edited by stringbound; 05-18-2021 at 07:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification