The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-23-2021, 04:38 PM

Default wild idea 1: 12 string archtop

The recent 12 string threads got me thinking on that line.

Archtop guitars are probably my favorite kind, and I've always wondered what 12 string version would sound like.

There are 6+ string guitars built with an arched form and oval holes. I've been unable to turn up an f hole arch top 12 string. (Sobell's version isn't really what I had in mind, but I'm sure it's exquisitely made)

I think it would be a cool niche sound, and may be my next project.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:05 PM

You might find these of interest:

http://www.vintagemartin.com/12string.html

http://www.milogeorge.com/reverb-mad...-six-archtops/
Old 04-23-2021, 08:41 PM

There are plenty of guitar bodied octave mandolins by Austin Clark, Andrew Mowry, Fletcher Brock and others. Likewise there are guitar bodied mandocellos by Eastman and Gold Tone. These can be strung up with octave pairs to get a 12 string sound. I've done it myself a few times.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:19 AM

Not so wild an idea. Both Bob Benedetto and Stefan Sobell have expressed the view that an archtop brings out a more rounded 12-string sound.... they've made quite a few custom ones.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:46 AM

This one can be had for only $30,000 at Gruhns.

Old 04-25-2021, 02:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here's one that John Monteleone made for a local player, Billy McEwan. This shot, of course, is NOT Billy, but Mark O'Connor.

Here is my wife Marcela holding it at John's shop. I don't know if it was coming back for a new top, or just wasn't quite completed at the time:

I have a vague recollection of having played a D'Aquisto 12 string owned by the late Sal DeTroia, but that might be my imagination........

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-29-2021, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default wild idea 1: 12 string archtop

The left hand guitar is a Stefan Sobell. Followers of Stefan’s work will know that his tops are arched rather than flat. In this case carved German spruce.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Trespass View Post

The left hand guitar is a Stefan Sobell. Followers of Stefan’s work will know that his tops are arched rather than flat. In this case carved German spruce.
I knew Stefan Sobell's tops were arched, but didn't realize they were carved. I thought they were pressed or bent. Learn something knew every day.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
I knew Stefan Sobell's tops were arched, but didn't realize they were carved. I thought they were pressed or bent. Learn something knew every day.
I think a lot of Stefan’s tops are pressed or bent but the 12 string archtop is carved https://www.sobellguitars.com/twelve...ch-top-guitar/

The guitar on the website is the same one as pictured at the start of this thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops