The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Default Gratitude

I had a long meeting this morning at work about things that are best described as political. Of course, that's never fun. I was quite aggravated.

Then I took my chair out into the sunshine and was tooling about my Waterloo in open G and stumbled on to a short series of arpeggios and I was like, whoa, that sounds a bit like sunny side of the ocean by John Fahey, so I spent an hour just working around that, getting nowhere, amusing myself. And it felt so good. It doesn't really matter in that moment of feeling good what else is going on in the world; all that matters is there is sunshine, birds singing and a friendly guitar to accompany me as I pass my time and enjoy the fact that I am (y)a(y)live.

Such a wonderful thing these wooden boxes are. Thanks to them, and all who play 'em, make 'em, and appreciate 'em. And thanks to the birds. And that fire in the belly of the blue sky.

(R)amen.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Gratitude is a wonderful thing! And it's great how a guitar can bring on that "Gratitude Attitude"!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-04-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
I had a long meeting this morning at work about things that are best described as political. Of course, that's never fun. I was quite aggravated.

Then I took my chair out into the sunshine and was tooling about my Waterloo in open G and stumbled on to a short series of arpeggios and I was like, whoa, that sounds a bit like sunny side of the ocean by John Fahey, so I spent an hour just working around that, getting nowhere, amusing myself. And it felt so good. It doesn't really matter in that moment of feeling good what else is going on in the world; all that matters is there is sunshine, birds singing and a friendly guitar to accompany me as I pass my time and enjoy the fact that I am (y)a(y)live.

Such a wonderful thing these wooden boxes are. Thanks to them, and all who play 'em, make 'em, and appreciate 'em. And thanks to the birds. And that fire in the belly of the blue sky.

(R)amen.

Well said, fellow Pastafarian.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 05-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I find this Ray Wylie Hubbard quote to be quite comforting, "The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days."

Guitars and music are good for the soul, being subjected to bad vibes at work, not so much.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:10 PM

I know that feeling! I wish I could call it up on demand, and of course you can always think about things to be grateful for, but it's never as good as in the OP. Those times when it just hits you like, bam! - life is really good at that moment. Despite the minefields of crap we all have to navigate, it's beautiful world.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I know that feeling! I wish I could call it up on demand, and of course you can always think about things to be grateful for, but it's never as good as in the OP. Those times when it just hits you like, bam! - life is really good at that moment. Despite the minefields of crap we all have to navigate, it's beautiful world.
Yep...well said!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-14-2021, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Great topic! I am guilty of not practicing the art of gratitude. But I do notice and appreciate that no matter how hectic life can get, if I pick up a guitar, banjo or mandolin, in just a short period I am transported somewhere else and the "urgent" fades and the "important" becomes more clear. I believe that in the after life there will be lots of good picking and everyone will enjoy and there will be zero calorie "L'il Debbie Creamfilled Oatmeal Cookies in abundance.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:50 PM

There's a great book the title of which is something along the lines of GRATITUDE: THE FIRST VIRTUE. I read snippets of it long ago. The author's main point is that Gratitude is really the first virtue--all the other virtues flow from it. Made a lot of sense to me then when I was younger and even more now that I am older. I try to have a little bit of time for gratitude every single day. Keeps me grounded and in my center, so to speak.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:04 AM

Very nice post Sparrow. No better place to decompress than in the sunshine with a guitar.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:34 AM

Thanks for that Mr Sparrow.
I know and cherish that feeling as often as I can.
Sunny side of the ocean is one of my favourite numbers by Fahey, something about it can lift the spirits.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:40 AM

Great post - gratitude makes everything better. I have been writing a list of 10 things I am grateful for every day for 65 days now and it really focuses the mind on what we Do have and not what we are missing..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-15-2021, 07:48 AM

Gratitude... well said. Sometimes we consider guitars as tools but other times they are our friends. I think I'm going to need a lot of gratitude over the next few weeks.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
I find this Ray Wylie Hubbard quote to be quite comforting, "The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days."

I like that! Anytime you can keep expectations low and gratitude high happiness will surely follow!

Best, scott
Old 05-15-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I like that! Anytime you can keep expectations low and gratitude high happiness will surely follow!

Best, scott
+1. Very nice thread!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sparrow, way to go. You know the saying: "Don't sweat the small stuff -- and it's all small stuff."

A few years ago I started occasionally paying for the car behind me in the Starbucks drive-thru. You won't believe how it improves your day.

Try it,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion