The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2021, 12:12 PM

The OP is really asking about X series guitars.
He wasn’t clear about that initially.
Read post 7 and 21.

The guitar on reverb has a glue problem.
It was probably dropped and the glue failed, WHICH IS COMMON on HPL guitars.
The seam came apart because the glue gave way, and the bridge came off for the same reason.. adhesion issues.

HPL is very dense material and glue does not penetrate the pores like wood.. it’s similar to trying to glue two pieces of glass.
HPL is strong, but nearly impervious, so the glue doesn’t hold.
THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

All this talk about Martin quality issues is a waste of everyone’s time,
and not addressing the OP’s real question, that he was not clear about from the start.

Private Message sent.

Last edited by woodbox; 05-14-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:21 PM

Every manufacturer has a problem at times. It's just the law of averages.

I work in manufacturing for a company that is respected for it's quality. When people see our name on something they automatically think quality. But, sometimes we have to bring something back.

As for Martins, every time I am looking for a new guitar I try to play a Martin. I have never found one that spoke to me, new or used.

The biggest thing I run into is I just don't care for the neck. I could get used to it, that I have no doubt. But why, when I can find something that I like the feel of better.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 05-14-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Here's a dozen X series Martins without issues on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...condition=used

My feelings aren't hurt, what I object to is your original, IMO inaccurate, assertion. Martin wouldn't be such a well respected company and their guitars desirable if you were correct.
I didn't make any inacurate assertion.

READ my original post!

It was a question that has a QUESTION mark, and also, from the very beginning I am referring to entry level models.

Please read the OP.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
If you want a Martin and stay on a budget I would still urge you to look hard at the road series, especially the 10's. You may pay 1/3rd more, but worth it. I have played X series Martins with HPL b&s and some sounded very good, some sounded just okay. The good ones were pretty surprising. I hate the laminated necks though. I have never played an HPL top that sounded right to me.

I have seen several X series Martin's in GC that had body separation issues. Humidity? Perhaps, but several other non-HPL Martins in the room without the same issue.
Well, that is what I was asking, if they were any quality issues with the Xs, which they are entry level models.

All the ones that I was referring to with cracking or separation issues were the X model, not other more expensive, higher quality models.

I think another member address a glue issue with the HPL which that to me it makes sense.

Thank you!
Old 05-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablitus View Post
I didn't make any inacurate assertion.

READ my original post!

It was a question that has a QUESTION mark, and also, from the very beginning I am referring to entry level models.

Please read the OP.

Thanks!
Did read it. You WROTE

"I have been looking for an used Martin acoustic-electric and I have found alarge number of Martin guitars either in new condition, or recently purchase that have cracks, the bridge is becoming separated from the body, etc. etc."

No question mark, it's a statement of what you personally have found in your search.

It's true that Martins will break, the possibility exists in every guitar brand. But your observation about Martins in general (read your statement above) is inaccurate.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Let's all please keep this polite.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Did read it. You WROTE

"I have been looking for an used Martin acoustic-electric and I have found alarge number of Martin guitars either in new condition, or recently purchase that have cracks, the bridge is becoming separated from the body, etc. etc."

No question mark, it's a statement of what you personally have found in your search.

It's true that Martins will break, the possibility exists in every guitar brand. But your observation about Martins in general (read your statement above) is inaccurate.
The question mark is in the post subject. "Martins guitar quality?"

And in the OP I stated: "I am referring to entry level models.", you only copy and paste it partially. Read again.

My question it is not an statement, it is just a question.

Best,

Last edited by pablitus; 05-14-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:13 PM

I've heard of some occasional issues with the low end MIM HPL top Martins having issues with bridge lifts. I had one years ago with an HPL top and it happened to me.
Not a great material to glue anything to IMO.
That said, lower end Taylors have absolutely zero back bracing (100 and 200 series) compared to MIM Martins that do. I think bridge lifts on solid top Martins is extremely rare.
Personally I'd prefer the tone of an Martin X series over a 100 /200 series Taylor but tbh any laminate guitar is a ultimately a tonal dead end once the top has opened up.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
I've heard of some occasional issues with the low end MIM HPL top Martins having issues with bridge lifts. I had one years ago with an HPL top and it happened to me.
Not a great material to glue anything to IMO.
That said, lower end Taylors have absolutely zero back bracing (100 and 200 series) compared to MIM Martins that do. I think bridge lifts on solid top Martins is extremely rare.
Personally I'd prefer the tone of an Martin X series over a 100 /200 series Taylor but tbh any laminate guitar is a ultimately a tonal dead end once the top has opened up.
Thank you!

I really like the Xs tone and as I mentioned before, I may end up buying one, despite of the issues.

Also, would you buy another X knowing that issue can happen again?

Best,
Old 05-14-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

I really like the Xs tone and as I mentioned before, I may end up buying one, despite of the issues.

Also, would you buy another X knowing that issue can happen again?

Best,
Absolutely. I would have no qualms about an X series. But not one with an HPL top. If you can afford it maybe try and get an a used solid wood Road Series rather than a brand new X series.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey View Post
Absolutely. I would have no qualms about an X series. But not one with an HPL top. If you can afford it maybe try and get an a used solid wood Road Series rather than a brand new X series.
Thanks!

Do you think the Xs with solid top are good then?

Best,
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 PM

I have quite a few Martin guitars including a Custom and two Authentics. I also have three X series Martins. I've had them for years. I have never had a problem with any of them. They are well built and sound fine.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As I mentioned in my original post, I was asking about entry level Martins, like the X series.

Today, one sold in reverbin which the seller stated that the bridge was coming off the body and he bought it six months ago. That is not maintenance, that is just not a good quality.

Maybe they do have issues with the entry level?, I don't know.

I doubt it that they will have this issues on a 3k guitar, but unfortunately that is not within my budget.
I don't know how low you have to go to earn entry-level status, but I just picked up a new Road Series Martin for $799. It's Mexico-made, all-sapele, and nearly identical to the GPRS1 I've had for a few years, though its name at Guitar Center and Musician's friend where it's (exclusively?) sold is the catchy Martin Special GPC Style 10 Road Series Acoustic-Electric Guitar Natural

I bought it because the only thing lacking in the GPRS1 it's replacing is I wanted the same model, but as a cutaway. And in its role as my gig guitar, that first GPRS1 has taken some mild abuse and dings and constant playing, and I've had zero problems. Data point of one, but there you go.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I have been looking for an used Martin acoustic-electric and I have found alarge number of Martin guitars either in new condition, or recently purchase that have cracks, the bridge is becoming separated from the body, etc. etc.

Can someone that knows a little more about the brand give me an opinion?

Is this normal?, are Martin guitars quality not that great for entry level models?

Thanks!
The fangs can come out around here when one offends the Martin folks. They are very attached to their inanimate objects. More than the average ;-0

In all seriousness, there is a lot of passion for the Martin brand, and rightfully so. In general they’re not my thing, but I understand and respect the attachment to the brand and its heritage that some have.

It’s true what someone else in this thread said though. The defensive posture some around here take for the Martin brand really does defy all logic at times...The passion and love for them can be that blinding...lol

Also, don’t assume that a 3k Martin will not have problems...Many of them do right from the factory...

They are a factory builder that makes guitars as scale. There will be problems.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-15-2021, 04:52 AM

Maybe if the OP's title for the post was "Entry level Martin guitars quality?" it could've narrowed things down more or "Martin X series guitar quality?", since the title as it stands does read like a general question regarding the quality of the brand in general.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion