The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Gibson Advance Jumbo

Any love for the Gibson Advanced Jumbo? I haven't played one in years but the couple that I did play were great. Not sure if it's the 25.5" scale length or the rosewood but I thought it was a great guitar.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM

I played a couple with 'adi' tops. They were terrific sounding guitars. Very well balanced. It was almost like the tone was in between a D-28 and a J-45. I compared the AJ to an HD-28 and I couldn't pick out a winner. They both had their own thing going. That was the first time (to my ears and in my opinion) that a similarly sized rosewood Martin didn't 'beat' a Gibson.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 03-07-2021, 09:55 AM
Guest 33123

Every one I have played was great. I'm surprised I never bought one.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I played a couple with 'adi' tops. They were terrific sounding guitars. Very well balanced. It was almost like the tone was in between a D-28 and a J-45. I compared the AJ to an HD-28 and I couldn't pick out a winner. They both had their own thing going. That was the first time (to my ears and in my opinion) that a similarly sized rosewood Martin didn't 'beat' a Gibson.
Hey Dan, thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking about the AJ yesterday and realized that there's very little mention of it here on the AGF so I figured I'd start a thread.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Used to own one years ago and had a pre-reimagined HD-28 in the house at the same time. This was also well before I knew anything about bluegrass or flatpicking, but I will say the HD-28 was louder and significantly more midrange scooped than the AJ. I enjoyed the HD-28 for strumming while the AJ had more clarity and was the better fingerpicker.

One major gripe about the AJ: the necks are VERY shallow. My bluegrass teacher has an AJ that is older than the one I owned and it too has a shallow neck. That’s a no-go for me (and neither is anything by Martin with the MLO/PA or Low Profile necks).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-07-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I had one for about fifteen years. Great guitar. Loud. I used to go to a sing-along group for my church. There was a guy there who complained about people who played too loud. He was talking about me....

I sold it about a year ago. I needed a neck set. It had a real low saddle. I bought it new that way before I knew any better. A couple techs and a luthier looked at it and said it needed a neck reset to fix it. Nobody around here would fix it. Gibson said they would fix it but wanted about $1600 to reset the neck and refret it. Then charge for a setup after that (plus shipping both ways. Even though it was under warranty and one of their top managers said it wought to be fixed under warranty. I took a loss on it and sold it...

I did enjoy it while it was here but kind of drifted towards smaller guitars so I don't miss it...
Old 03-07-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I have a limited edition I bought used that actually has a herringbone top. Standard scale and a great guitar for most anything you care to throw at it.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-07-2021, 01:50 PM

The Advanced Jumbo has consistently been one of Gibson's big winners. The AJ, of course, was Gibson's attempt to go toe to toe with the D28. There are those who will say Gibson did more than that - they won. It was Gary Burnette who nicknamed his 1935 AJ the "bone crusher." Perhaps a bit of an overstatement but it has been said that playing a 1930s AJ can be a life altering experience. Me, I have only ever run across one in my life. By the way, the Gibson AJ, Smeck Radio Grande and others were generally built with the same Indian Rosewood that Washburn and other Chicago area builders were using.
Old 03-07-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Wade Hampton has a Gibson AJ that was owned by John Pearse. If I remember correctly, Wade is a big fan of the AJ. He also had a custom guitar built to the AJ specs but used black walnut for the back and sides.

I own a Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice (adi top, BRW back and sides) built in 2002. It's a very nice guitar. I bought it used from a collector in Eugene, OR. Here is an instrumental piece I recorded with my AJ:

- Glenn
Old 03-07-2021, 02:46 PM

Glenn, great playing. What a difficult piece to play and you did an amazing job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wade Hampton has a Gibson AJ that was owned by John Pearse. If I remember correctly, Wade is a big fan of the AJ. He also had a custom guitar built to the AJ specs but used black walnut for the back and sides.

I own a Gibson Advanced Jumbo Luthier's Choice (adi top, BRW back and sides) built in 2002. It's a very nice guitar. I bought it used from a collector in Eugene, OR. Here is an instrumental piece I recorded with my AJ:

- Glenn
Old 03-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I bought a 2008 AJ back in July of last year. It has been my #1 ever since. I always wanted one, since I first played one back in 2002, and finally had the opportunity to bring one home. No regrets. It really is fantastic, and I look forward to playing it everyday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210116_231730.jpg (28.4 KB, 287 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I bought a 2008 AJ back in July of last year. It has been my #1 ever since. I always wanted one, since I first played one back in 2002, and finally had the opportunity to bring one home. No regrets. It really is fantastic, and I look forward to playing it everyday.
I want one!
Old 03-07-2021, 04:05 PM

I had one, but I hated the neck and sold it to a friend. I did have a chance to play a vintage one at Carter’s in Nashville....that one I’d never sell.
It was a great guitar though and my friend still has it.

Last edited by Colt45; 03-07-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:11 PM

My AJ has been my #1 acoustic guitar since I I bought it new around 2008. It’s a great sounding guitar for finger style and flat pick.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:19 PM

I traded my ‘79 Hummingbird Custom of 40 years ownership for a 2008 AJ and not looking back at all, wonderful guitar !

20 Epiphone EJ-200SE-12-VS
20 PRS P20E
16 Breedlove D25/SRH Pro Series
17 Guild D-140
? Cort Luce L300V-F SB
17 Gibson SG Standard T
14 Ibanez AM93-TKS
04 Fender Stratocaster
21 Epiphone IBG ES335 Figured.
23 PRS SE McCarty 594
89 Marc Beneteau Dreadnaught

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion