The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Default Tell me about maple Gibson J45s and J185s

Three years ago, I picked a wonderful custom Huss & Dalton CM 12-string - custom in that it has maple back and sides. This was my first maple guitar and led me to look at a maple six string, so a year or so later, I found a Guild GAD-JF30 jumbo. Much as I like my second maple guitar, I've decided that that particular six string jumbo is just a bit too big, so at a time when travel restrictions are lifted, I plan on moving that one on and replacing it with something a bit smaller.

If money were no object, I'd probably go for a short-scale Collings SJ in maple, or a H&D CM, but both are very rare in the UK and also too pricey, which has led me to look into Gibsons. I've seen a few maple J185s and even maple AJ/J45s pop up fairly often, so am thinking one of them might well scratch my maple itch. I've trawled both here and the Gibson forum, but was wondering if there is anyone out there who has owned/played both these models. I'm primarily a fingers guy and play more for myself than in a band, so am not particularly worried about volume. How versatile are they?

TIA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion