The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 AM

Default D'Addario humidipac not above 35 percent

I have a brand new soundhole and headstock D'Addario humidipac pouch in my guitar case for my new Martin, but the hygrometer I'm using is only showing 35 percent humidity tops in the case. Should I be concerned? Could my hydrometer be inaccurate? It's not a cheap one.

Martin says I need to be in the 45 + percent range.

I'm a little paranoid 'cause I had issues after I first bought the guitar (Martine Se-13e) due to low humidity in the house and my ignorance.

Edit: Just checked for the first time this morning (37 %).

Last edited by Cecil6243; 03-05-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I have a brand new soundhole and headstock D'Addario humidipac pouch in my guitar case for my new Martin, but the hygrometer I'm using is only showing 35 percent humidity tops in the case. Should I be concerned? Could my hydrometer be inaccurate? It's not a cheap one.

Martin says I need to be in the 40 + percent range.

I'm a little paranoid 'cause I had issues after I first bought the guitar (Martine Se-13e) due to low humidity in the house and my ignorance.
A couple of things -
I use the comparable Boveda packs and I found that in the beginning of use it can take a couple of weeks for the packs to settle into their ideal humidity for that particular case. If it is dry to begin with, the moisture released from the packs will not fix the issue overnight. It will take some time. Stay the course and continue to monitor.
In my experience, if your guitar is at 35% for a week or so, it usually should not be cause for panic but you are smart to be on top of it.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 03-05-2021 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-05-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi there - there was a recent thread about these products. My conclusion, also based on personal experience, is that if you are starting with an already dryer than normal guitar/case, it takes quite a bit of time to bring it up to normal with these products. I have found that these do a great job at maintaining ideal humidity if you start using them before it gets really dry.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

With a new guitar, the CASE is probably as dry or drier than the guitar, so likely it's absorbing a LOT of the moisture from the packs. Boveda sells a 72% pack to "season" cases that have been in storage for a while, likely in a dry place. Once the case is up to 45-50, it actually becomes a stabilizing factor itself (assuming it's a pretty well sealed case. And with humidipaks in it, it'll stay around 45-50% even in pretty extremely dry conditions. If it gets crazy humid, though they don't work as well to keep humidity down. Boded makes a "high absorbency" pack that's supposed to absorb humidity better than the normal ones, but I don't find them all that effective. If it gets REAL damp, I usually take the packs out and start putting desiccants in the case instead.

-Ray
Old 03-05-2021, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Cecil6243;6653876]I have a brand new soundhole and headstock D'Addario humidipac pouch in my guitar case for my new Martin, but the hygrometer I'm using is only showing 35 percent humidity tops in the case. Should I be concerned? Could my hydrometer be inaccurate? It's not a cheap one.

I would just change the Humidipack's as they dry out, and I think you'll be fine.
I agree with the case stealing some of the humidity. It'll take a bit to even everything out.
P.S.
When you're playing Leave the packs in the case and make sure to close it.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:20 PM

Did you do the salt test calibration in a freezer bag?
Old 03-05-2021, 12:50 PM

I'm using these packs but never reached the ideal 45-55 range so I bought a room humidifier. I have to fill it water each day, but it keeps the room at 50. I'm still using the packs I the case.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

In the middle of real dry winter, I find you need to put two in the case. Or put a damp sponge in the case pocket along with one humidipak. Otherwise, they can’t keep up and dry out quickly.

Also, some cases seal in humidity better than others.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushknee View Post
Did you do the salt test calibration in a freezer bag?
Huh? Never heard of that.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:19 PM

The packs are misunderstood. They are for maintaining humidity......you can't start at 30% and expect it to reach 50% rather you need to start at 50% and they then should maintain that level. I gave up on them, this is the finest most effective I've used in over 50 years of humidifying mine

https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/pro...ier-hygrometer
Old 03-05-2021, 02:41 PM

I had a Boveda pack in each of my Acoustic Remedy wall-mount display cases (rubber gasket sealed BTW), and it was starting to drop below 40% RH.

I called Boveda, and they said it could require as many as 4 packs per case to raise RH to the 40-50% range in dry months.

One of those packs in each case was starting to get hard, so I swapped them out for the sponge in a soap holder setup. I'm now achieving 41% after a day, so I'm hoping it will continue to reach around 45% soon.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 03-06-2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:

You need to do a salt test to the hygrometer and adjust as needed.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:

I just went through this my self. Did a salt test on a D’Addario Hygrometer. It did not go past 61% in 24 hours. Contacted D’Addario and found out you cannot adjust the Hygrometer.
I now have two Govee Hygrometers in two of my guitars.
Did the salt test for 24 hours adjusted each hygrometer to 75%. Tested for another 24 hours...each hygrometer is now calibrated.
https://youtu.be/PllhKJr41c8
Old 03-06-2021, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Lately the humidity here in Southern California has been very dry. I have had to add extra boveda packs in my cases. They are around 43-44% now.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
The packs are misunderstood. They are for maintaining humidity......you can't start at 30% and expect it to reach 50% rather you need to start at 50% and they then should maintain that level. I gave up on them, this is the finest most effective I've used in over 50 years of humidifying mine

https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/pro...ier-hygrometer
Makes sense. Thank for the link. I ordered one with an extra sponge.

In the meantime still no changes in humidity. Locked at 36 to 37 percent. I put in a soaked and squeezed piece of paper towel (don't have a sponge) on a piece of tin foil and laid it in the case to see if the humidity will go up in the mean time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion