The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 09:04 PM

Default Need help on a new guitar

I am planning to move up from my Fender. I am looking for a acoustic/electric guitar that is under 1400 after tax. My style is Dreadnaught or Dreadnaught Cutaway.

Right now what I have on mind is a Martin D-13E , https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...lectric-guitar
Old 02-28-2021, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Try a Taylor 210e or ce. Really good.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:35 AM

LeDave, if you want the best plugged in tone, stay far away from a Martin. You will be disappointed. I find it suspicious that there are few if any demo's of the Martin 13e being strummed plugged in. Try a used Cole Clark FL1 or FL2. Also, the Yamaha FGX5, though a short scale, is MIJ all solid wood dreadnaught and sounds really great plugged in.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-01-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Dave, the D-13e, or the D-12e are really sweet guitars. Before Covid, I was out looking for a D-18. As many times as not, I liked the D-12 better. It's a little brighter and livelier. I was confused and decided to wait a while, then Covid hit and I never got back out. When I do get out, I want to try the GC, Martin 16 style dread but that's a little out of your price range.

I think the D-12e is the best copy of the D-18 out there. It has nicer appointments than the d-13e and the sapelle back and sides give it some snap!

There are two easy ways to deal with the pick-up. One is to replace the braided UST with a generic Aura (solid not braided)UST. It requires soldering the wires. or you can remove the whole pick-up and install a JJB. Either will give you a nice improvement in both acoustic and plugged-in tone.

With either guitar, you'll be in for a treat. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2021, 10:18 AM

I have a 2008 Taylor 110 which sounds like a guitar several times its price (I think it was $550 in 2008?). See if you can find one to try. I'm not sure how the current 110s sound, but my 2008 model is amazing. Taylor makes a 110e with electronics. At only $800 it is well below your max price, and you may really enjoy it.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/110e
Old 03-01-2021, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson J-29

Used one can be had for close to 1400.
Most impressive guitar in that price range I have come across in a long time.
All solid wood. Huge sound.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Eastman E10D (possibly used) + K&K Pure Mini

You're really better off buying a guitar that you like the acoustic tone and feel of, and then adding a pickup to it.

Buying the guitar with a built in pickup is often a compromise on both the acoustic and plugged in tone.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

The Alvarez MD60BG is like $600 new and such an incredible-sounding guitar. Very close to a D18 in terms of tone.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I’m pretty sure you can get a Larrivee dread or L size for that much. Less than a month ago I bought an SD40 new for $1340.00 all in.

Update: sorry mine does not have electronics. I’m sure you can get in the neighborhood though. Good luck. Whatever you get i’m Sure it will be a nice guitar.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 03-01-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
The Alvarez MD60BG is like $600 new and such an incredible-sounding guitar. Very close to a D18 in terms of tone.
I'll second this; the MD60BG is a stellar guitar - and will hold its own against many more highly priced guitars. You can have it for far under your price point and have the flexibility to put in whatever pickup you want.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Eastman E10D (possibly used) + K&K Pure Mini

You're really better off buying a guitar that you like the acoustic tone and feel of, and then adding a pickup to it.

Buying the guitar with a built in pickup is often a compromise on both the acoustic and plugged in tone.
Very good advice. I've never bought an AE instrument, but I have added SBT's to a host of acoustic instruments (fiddles, mandolins, banjos, guitars, resonators, upright bass).

A pssive pickup with external preamp/DI gives you a better acoustic sound, and a better (and more reliable, expandable, maintainable) plugged in sound.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:27 PM

Default Lets Do This Right

I am never going to recommend any guitar for you. Instead what I will recommend is for you to go out and experience guitars by playing them in a shop and if you want something plugged in. Well make sure that when you try a new one you like you also have that the same amp because like every guitar amps are slightly different also.
Only your own ears can really tell you what you like in the sound that it makes both unplugged and plugged in and while I understand folks wanting to help with their own experiences. What they lack is your ears and have no way of knowing what it is you like. And believe me and many folks who have been doing this for over 50 years is that we all have out love of guitars and what they produce for music.
So get out there and enjoy the hunt. It is part of the enjoyment of making music and finding out what you enjoy.
Its the journey that I loved and still do of finding that gem and you maybe pleasently surprised bu what you end up with.
Oh and do try the used market also, there are some fantastic used instruments out there.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:45 PM

I second Lillis.

A used Larrivee D03E is likely less than your budget.

New, likely just a tad more.

SC 13 also a GREAT choice
Old 03-01-2021, 01:50 PM

I would take Ship of Fools advice and try out as many guitars as you can. Going with a used guitar is going to really open up some choices in your price range as well.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I would take Ship of Fools advice and try out as many guitars as you can. Going with a used guitar is going to really open up some choices in your price range as well.
Me too! The search for the right guitar can be fun and rewarding. Of course, my last such journey was before Covid and it may be more difficult these days. Yet, our local store seems to be offering plenty of options for in person play, and I expect this is often true.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion