The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Question on how to negotiate the best discounts

I've seen multiple posts on what "street value" is on certain guitars. I've whittled a selection down to either a Guild D55 or Martin D28 for my next guitar.

Many posts state to reach out to sponsors to get best pricing, but all the sponsors I have contacted are just giving me MAP pricing. Maybe it is pandemic related, or maybe I'm not asking the right questions.

Any one else still getting decent discounts?

TIA, I'm new to buying guitars in this price point, so this is a new journey for me. Previously I've been under $1k for all of my guitars.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:03 PM

How have you been asking thus far?

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 02-28-2021, 01:27 PM

No idea about Guild, but for Martin, reach out to Maury and ask what the best price he can do is. He was real straightforward with me when I asked.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:36 PM

When i look at prices of used guitars, they seem quite high compared to a year ago, and there aren’t many available (of the models I follow).

I think the pandemic is still affecting supply chains, and the amount of stock that is available. And i have read reports that demand for guitars is up.

Definitely call Maury if you haven’t already done so. But I wouldn’t be too surprised if the old guidelines about getting discounts is not applicable right now.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
When i look at prices of used guitars, they seem quite high compared to a year ago, and there aren’t many available (of the models I follow).

I think the pandemic is still affecting supply chains, and the amount of stock that is available. And i have read reports that demand for guitars is up.
This is true for a surprising number of things. Just about anything you could want to buy that has any real demand at all is likely very expensive right now, especially used. At the beginning of the pandemic, I had thought this might be a good opportunity to get good deals on hobby equipment, but it's been the complete opposite.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:43 PM

Welcome to the AGF, 40man.

Be prepared to buy on the spot. Be polite. Tell them you're interested and ask what they can do for you. Don't "kick the tires" pointing out the negatives acting like you can do better elsewhere - because that's where you'll have to go.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40man View Post
I've seen multiple posts on what "street value" is on certain guitars. I've whittled a selection down to either a Guild D55 or Martin D28 for my next guitar.

Many posts state to reach out to sponsors to get best pricing, but all the sponsors I have contacted are just giving me MAP pricing. Maybe it is pandemic related, or maybe I'm not asking the right questions.

TIA, I'm new to buying guitars in this price point, so this is a new journey for me. Previously I've been under $1k for all of my guitars.
I was recently looking for a new Martin. One of the usual suspects mentioned here gave me MAP pricing. So I went on reverb and found every new one I could find and called those dealers directly and eventually got a discount of 18% off of MAP. The Max discount off of MAP to equal 40% off of list would have been 25%. It was still 500 cheaper than my first offer though. Keep trying.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I checked the stock of my go to retailers for new Martins. Mark at Reno's Music has a D28. Ted at LA Guitar Sales has one. I have not spoken to either in the past year so I don't know what discounts they are currently offering. A telephone call is the ONLY way to get the best price in my experience.

I know a lot of folks recommend AGF sponsors but my experience has been the same as yours when it comes to pricing.

Good luck.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I simply ask for the sellers' best price and almost always am quoted a discounted price. Whether it's the BEST price is another matter....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-28-2021, 02:08 PM

Maury's and several other agf mainstays are no longer offering any discount at all, at least when I last checked around a month ago. Perhaps this will change when things normalize a bit.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:14 PM

MAP is a manufacturer's tool to keep all their dealers honest, as well as keeping quality guitars from becoming just another commodity. It's reasonable to start your negotiation at 35% off list price and likely settling at 25 off list. High volume dealers are probably buying at 40% or more off list price, while low volume dealers probably buy at 30% - 35% off list.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 02-28-2021, 02:21 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post

Definitely call Maury if you haven’t already done so. But I wouldn’t be too surprised if the old guidelines about getting discounts is not applicable right now.
Yep...that’s it in a nutshell. The standard discounts we were all used to don’t apply right now. All you can do is call ‘em, ask for their best price and go from there.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40man View Post
...Many posts state to reach out to sponsors to get best pricing, but all the sponsors I have contacted are just giving me MAP pricing. Maybe it is pandemic related, or maybe I'm not asking the right questions.

Practically speaking, there's no reason you shouldn't (politely) ask for and get an additional 10-15% off MAP, since you're doing it with "personal contact" (which is not a violation of manufacturers' MAP agreements in most cases) - and IME sometimes you just have to be patient and shop around until you do...
Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
How have you been asking thus far?
In my experience, this is important (in normal times, but I don't know about these times). If you email, you'll usually get MAP as an answer. If you call, they are usually willing to go under MAP.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

When talking to the dealer, let them you are prepared to buy now....then see if they will accept your reasonable offer. Do not expect them to take 40% off of MSRP though.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion