The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
Most of the Martin X series guitars I have played sounded pretty decent.On occasion I did find a "dud".

Can you return the guitar to MF for a refund?

I would call them, you may find a sympathetic person who amy be able to offer a deal on an all solid top b/s Martin....
Actually I think we raised that question because MF says you can not return clearance or discontinued items. However this was not marked that way but it's my understanding that this guitar has been discontinued ... it just wasn't marked that way. So Maybe yes, maybe no.

I did talk to a MF agent (and I have his name) who told me he would let me return the guitar. And he also said he would give me a waiver and not charge me that "buyer's remorse" fee which is essentially the shipping charge(s). That came about after I mentioned I had been a customer since 2001 at MF but I don't think their compute records go back more than five years. But I've have bought a lot of items in that time, but mostly accessories and cheaper guitars, all under $300 or so.

But even with a deal I can't afford a solid-body Martin. So it would be money back and that's it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-03-2021, 12:55 AM

https://youtu.be/icIcgdFbt9U
News paper guitar
Old 03-03-2021, 12:56 AM

https://youtu.be/_elx2OvWN58
Cardboard back and sides
Old 03-03-2021, 12:58 AM

Cardboard back and sides being played.
https://youtu.be/CP3A6dW2NAY
Old 03-03-2021, 01:00 AM

I recently bought a Martin 000x1AE and it sounds amazing.
The StrataBond neck is nice and smooth like a satin guitar that’s been played a couple years.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:14 AM

When any of my guitars start sounding bad it’s because I need to change the strings.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 AM

Specs for a Martin Dx-series-]
Old 03-03-2021, 01:52 AM

Default Is it me ... or is it my Martin X1-DE?

I’d return it, I don’t think you are ever going to be happy with it looking at your posts. Can you get a used all solid Eastman for $400 in the states? The recent cedar topped models would be in that price range I would have thought? Amazing guitars and a whole lot more guitar for the money than the lower level big brand stuff.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 AM

Why don't you just return it? You said that MF is willing to cover the shipping costs.

Maybe you just don't like the sound of a Martin. Yesterday I was playing my Special X1-DE and alternating it with my D-18. Yes, they sound different. But they both sound good to my ears. I used to have a very negative opinion of the X-Series Martins based on preconceived notions (HPL, made in Mexico, price) but I had never actually played one.

A combination of GAS and the sales price induced me to try one. I have been wanting a Martin with electronics and didn't want to alter any of my other Martins. After playing it now for a few days, I really like the sound, especially unplugged. The neck is comfortable for me, and unless it falls apart in the next couple of years, I will be very glad to have gotten in on the SDOTD. I feel lucky to have it.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Why don't you just return it? You said that MF is willing to cover the shipping costs.
It's really because, as I said before, I've never owned a Martin ... new, used, abandoned, etc... and with my finances this will be realistically my last and only chance. Even a used all-solid Martin (such as a used D-1, DRS etc.) would likely be out of my budget. And of course it's used as opposed to new.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-03-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
I’d return it, I don’t think you are ever going to be happy with it looking at your posts. Can you get a used all solid Eastman for $400 in the states? The recent cedar topped models would be in that price range I would have thought? Amazing guitars and a whole lot more guitar for the money than the lower level big brand stuff.
Actually it's really that Martin name. I have my Masterbilt Epi and that is a great guitar. However I would perhaps like a cedar-topped model so that would be a possibility if I can get it for that price. I haven't looked but that seems awful low. I will not buy from a non-local private seller unless it's through some third party such as Reverb, eBay, etc., because I've been burnt before.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Just above everyone who got these seems to be very happy with them, especially for the ridiculously low price at the time. I think it is just more a classic case of buyer’s remorse.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Just above everyone who got these seems to be very happy with them, especially for the ridiculously low price at the time. I think it is just more a classic case of buyer’s remorse.
Well when I talked to that MF agent I said that structurally there was nothing wrong with it (even the bridge pins were set in pretty OK) so honestly it would have to be considered a case of buyer's remorse.

Buyer's remorse is a rather wide category I think but for returns I think there really are just a few: defective, wrong item sent, wrong description of item and everything else, which would be buyer's remorse. There may be some other categories but these are the ones that seem the most germane to me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 03-03-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I tend to agree. I think mine is great!
Old 03-03-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
It's really because, as I said before, I've never owned a Martin ... new, used, abandoned, etc... and with my finances this will be realistically my last and only chance. Even a used all-solid Martin (such as a used D-1, DRS etc.) would likely be out of my budget. And of course it's used as opposed to new.
Dude, names don't mean crap, except for resale value. A crappy sounding Martin still sounds like crap, regardless of the name. If you're happy with the name, keep it. If you're disappointed with the sound, send it back. I know that there are a lot of people that care about name recognition and brands, I'm not one of them. I have owned much more expensive guitars, but have kept what I have based on playability and tone. Is name more important than tone to you? If so,keep it.If not, send it back and lose 50 bucks.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion