The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 AM

Default Don’t use Venmo, vehicle for fraudsters

Don’t use Venmo to either buy or sell an instrument. They have no protections for buyers or sellers. I became intrigued by the lute, having played classical guitar for a long time. I ordered one from The Lute Society of America classifieds from a man named James Kammerer. He didn’t want to use PayPal (I should have known), and asked me to open a Venmo account and I did. Time passed, I sent email inquiries. After a month I told him I was taking action. I contacted the Lute Society of America, Venmo, and I’m filing charges with the police department and the FTC, since it was in excess of $1000 which makes it felony fraud. Venmo essentially told me there is nothing they can for me. Of course it’s my own fault, but I’ve bought a number of instruments online over the years and this is the first time I’ve had an experience like this. Caveat emptor as they say.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

We use Venmo extensively between family members only. A couple of our kids are away at college and we use Venmo to transfer money back and forth etc.

I would never, however use Venmo for someone I dont know - it is a money transfer service, not a marketplace.

Also, Venmo by default shows all your transactions and all your contacts' transactions. You have to actively go in and turn that off or everyone will see everything you do.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-26-2021, 08:02 AM

I use Venmo all the time but only with people I know.

I am sorry to hear about the lute. Good luck.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 02-26-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Venmo isn't for goods just like PayPal Family/gift is not for goods.

A lesson some folks on the AGF classifieds haven't learned. I recently passed up a guitar I was interested in because the seller asked for a paypal friends and family payment. I figure if the seller is willing to defraud paypal that's a very bad place to start for a satisfactory transaction.

Last edited by stephenT; 02-26-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Venmo isn't for goods just like PayPal Family/gift is not for goods.

A lesson some folks on the AGF classifieds haven't learned. I recently passed up a guitar I was interested in because the seller asked for a paypal friends and family payment. I figure if the seller is willing to defraud paypal that's a very bad place to start for a satisfactory transaction.

Same........

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-26-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Did you file charges with the police department or did you file a complaint? Because I would really be surprised if they would investigate that as a fraud case. Or any case for that matter. I don't know about the FTC.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-26-2021, 08:36 AM

Now you tell me! No Fool like an old fool! I had seen instruments for sale here where the seller wanted to get paid via Venmo.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:43 AM

I’m gradually working through it. I’ve contacted the organization that ran the ad and Venmo. Police and FTC are next. I’m not expecting to get the money back, but my suspicion is that the perpetrator is reselling a non existent instrument. However, it is a felony as the amount exceeded $1000. I’m retired and on fixed income, so it gives me something else to do with my time besides practice, and maybe even help someone else not get fleeced.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:43 AM

The bad got the loot and kept the lute
Old 02-26-2021, 09:46 AM

I agree the lute is moot
The thief has won
And that is sad
I checked just now
And found the ad
It’s still up
It makes me mad
That someone else
May lose some loot
To this non-existent
Silent, muted lute
Old 02-26-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear this Norsepicker...Thanks for the tip, I hope it works it out for you...
Old 02-26-2021, 09:59 AM

I mean no disrespect but it seems these days people have too much trust in all these new technologies and exchange options without much thought.
Just speaking for myself, I would have never used Venmo or Benmo or Zenmo without thoroughly checking out what it is...even then probably not.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-26-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Also, Venmo by default shows all your transactions and all your contacts' transactions. You have to actively go in and turn that off or everyone will see everything you do.
This is a big reason I don't use it. Venmo's a social network, not a payment platform. Why in the world would I use it, instead of an actual payment platform.

As far Paypal, covered many times, but just offer to include the fee. Or if their price can support it, split the fee. If you're using a card on Paypal (which I generally am as I don't want to link my bank account), you're paying 2.9% to send F&F. That's the same thing the merchant pays. So you're not 'defrauding PayPal', but it is kind of pointless. Just include the fee and get the protection.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
This is a big reason I don't use it. Venmo's a social network, not a payment platform. Why in the world would I use it, instead of an actual payment platform.

As far Paypal, covered many times, but just offer to include the fee. Or if their price can support it, split the fee. If you're using a card on Paypal (which I generally am as I don't want to link my bank account), you're paying 2.9% to send F&F. That's the same thing the merchant pays. So you're not 'defrauding PayPal', but it is kind of pointless. Just include the fee and get the protection.
Are you implying that if the buyer pays by F&F the seller gets the same amount than if "regular" PP is used?
Old 02-26-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
If you're using a card on Paypal (which I generally am as I don't want to link my bank account), you're paying 2.9% to send F&F. That's the same thing the merchant pays. So you're not 'defrauding PayPal', but it is kind of pointless. Just include the fee and get the protection.
Not true. The fee goes to the credit card company not Paypal.

Check your terms of use. It's very specific. If you use paypal to buy a product or service it's not a F&F transaction. F&F payment is just as it implies. Friends and family payments, not for goods or services.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion