The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2021, 01:06 PM

Default Anyone ever have a negative experience with Sweetwater?

I had my first trying to send back a Guild 1212. I've only found mostly helpful people to deal with, and boy, did I ever get dud sales person that I would call a "know it all blow hard" for lack of a better term.

I told the so called sales engineer that I posted on the AGF about the problem and maybe get some tips on how to fix it, and he said "don't do that because they don't know what their doing here." Really? With all the guitar builders etc. here and they don't know what their doing? Nope, they don't.

Can you imagine how much business this forum sends Sweetwater? I've bought gear and the Guild 1212 from them because of referrals from this forum, and for him to use a broad brush like that was just too much.

I suggested I ship it back no earlier than Fri. to avoid the bad freezing weather, and possibly the guitar being stored in a sub 0 building might wipe it out, and his response was "why would you care if it doesn't effect you"? Unbelievable!

I fixed it myself, so I called to let them know I won't be shipping it back and got a nice and normal guy named Clif and told that because of this other guy I might not be using them in the future. He apologized profusely, but it still left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Ive not had a bad experience with them in 10 years. And honestly, I think that rep gave you good advice, but maybe could have used better manners. Ive learned who to trust here, but how many times do threads run from extreme opposites with advice or opinion? From the standpoint of a rep trying to make sure you dont void any warranties or return agreements, he is correct in advising against DIY repairs, especially if his client admits to seeking how-to advice off an internet forum. Sounds like he was just trying to protect your options.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-21-2021, 01:32 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve been dealing with the same guy at Sweetwater for years. Never had a problem. Always got a fair deal. Which, of course, is why I’ve stuck with him. I’d hate to be at the mercy of whoever picks up the phone...

Last edited by Rev Roy; 02-21-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:23 PM

Been dealing with SW for well over 10 years and cannot say anything negative about any experience I've had. If yu can tolerate the occasional "cold call," they are easily one of the best online retailers out there, without exaggeration.

My most recent experience was when waiting for a backordered Audio Interface for months (obviously due to covid crud and not SW's fault), but I had preordered it at a sale price. Long story short, a better AI came up on sale, so I cancelled my backorder and bought the better one. Only to find at checkout that the better one literally sold out in the time I was making the cancellation of the BO one. So now I've got neither, and I've lost out on the orig sale price, ugh! I call my rep, and he says sorry for the unlucky timing, and gives me the better one that is more expensive for the original sale price I had paid for the lesser unit.

SW delivers, period. You may not like the candy, but when they deliver satisfaction on a consistent basis for over a decade, there isn't much more to be said to recommend them. Hopefully, your negative experience goes up the food chain and that guys gets a "talkin to" ...I would personally have no qualms in emailing my complaint of one and include the praise of the other. It's how any company gets better.

Edward
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Anyone ever have a negative experience with Sweetwater?
Sorry you had one, but I never have.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-21-2021, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Nope, they pretty much deliver. I don't have all the personal attention and follow ups that a lot of people have, but that's okay with me. When I'm buying something I'm not looking to make friends. So sorry you felt slighted.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-21-2021, 02:56 PM

I’ve bought items from guitars, amps, to picks with great service from a knowledgeable sales rep.

I have yet to have an issue. In fact I just ordered some slides, and I’m sure this order will be fine also.

I will continue purchasing from them.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:00 PM

Always good experiences with Sweetwater, and got a few good deals from my sales engineer too.

I only wish they had some guitars in stock once in a while.
Alvarez-Yairi FYM66HD
Gibson J-45 50s
Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 PM

Definitely sounds like that rep could’ve handled that a little better.

Luckily I’ve never had any issues like that with Sweetwater. I’ve had to return 2 items before. The first being a Kemper that was dead on arrival. I contacted Sweetwater immediately and they overnighted a replacement unit to me.

The second time was a demo model Les Paul that I purchased. It arrived with some cracks in the finish and some high frets that were not mentioned in the description/pictures. Sweetwater ended up sending me a brand new model to replace it. Above and beyond service all around.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:31 PM

I wonder if Toby Walker is reading this?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-21-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Sweetwater has new hires some of whom obviously haven't learned the Sweetwater culture yet.

If you let one guy bum you out, it's going to be a tough life. That said, Sweetwater has always been berry berry good to me. And I like Bit-O-Honey
Old 02-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Always had good experience with Sweetwater. I generally avoid referencing forums when talking with any vendor. Almost universally, the conversation turns for the worse when I've done so.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:41 PM

Nothing but good experiences with Sweetwater.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:01 PM

I've had good to excellent service from Sweetwater, never bad. I do get the sense that many of the "sales engineers" don't have expertise or knowledge in many areas. They recently started a hiring push - I wonder if you just got a newbie that really isn't "up to snuff".

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-21-2021, 05:08 PM

Sorry for your troubles - it certainly sounds frustrating. I’ve never had anything but great experiences with Sweetwater. The two times I had minor issues they went above and beyond to resolve them ... in fact they were far more generous than I would have asked for or expected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion