The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How many guitars have you played to decide your Holy Grail guitar(s)?
1 - First one, one and done. 4 2.86%
2 - 5 guitars 14 10.00%
6 - 15 guitars 20 14.29%
16 - 25 guitars 16 11.43%
26 - 50 guitars 7 5.00%
50 + guitars 27 19.29%
I don't believe in "Holy Grail" guitars 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Default How many guitars did you play to discover your "Holy Grail" guitar(s) ?

Legitimate question here..

For those of you who have "Holy Grail" guitar(s) in mind...

How many guitars have you personally played, in hand, to arrive at this ultimate set of guitars that would set you up perfectly?

This doesn't mean you need to OWN the guitars.. just asking about the knowledge of what the set would be...

It could be either owned, or played in a store. Hands-on experience.

-a.h.

*note - this is not a public poll. Your votes will private.

*update -- To those of you reading the poll -- what is your definition of a 'Holy Grail' guitar?

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 07-12-2022 at 09:40 PM. Reason: update top post with follow-up question
Old 02-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

....I have never had a preconceived idea of what my personal holy grail guitar would be....a few times over the years I have acquired a guitar that I thought was the best guitar I ever owned....but I eventually sold them to try something different....there are certainly a few I would like to buy back....

...my approach to acquiring instruments is to get what I think will best serve my purposes at the time....my needs have changed a number of times over the years so what best met them years ago no longer does....I currently have several instruments that may very well end up being holy grails....or not...
Old 02-08-2021, 03:44 PM

I thought I had my Holy Grail guitars years ago ... that was until I joined the AGF.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:48 PM

I don't play well enough to have a 'holy grail' guitar - that being stated,

I do have some nice stuff
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 02-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I thought I had my Holy Grail guitars years ago ... that was until I joined the AGF.
I totally agree. I didn't even know I was/am afflicted with GAS until AGF pointed it out to me. I just bought my fourth guitar and my lovely wife informed me if I purchase another one I can keep it on her side of the bed because she won't be there anymore.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
...my lovely wife informed me if I purchase another one I can keep it on her side of the bed because she won't be there anymore.
Well, with an SJ200, I don't expect you need to be in the market for another guitar or another wife.

I think I had around 15 Epiphones, a mid-range Martin, and a few various others before I discovered Guilds, and I think the ones I've picked up are indeed holy grails.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-08-2021, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
I totally agree. I didn't even know I was/am afflicted with GAS until AGF pointed it out to me. I just bought my fourth guitar and my lovely wife informed me if I purchase another one I can keep it on her side of the bed because she won't be there anymore.
You're gonna miss her a bit aren't ya?
Old 02-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Over a six month period, I easily played over a hundred guitars - didn't own most of them but played many at friends' houses and studios, guitar shops and festivals. The first 75 probably helped more with identifying what I didn't want and playing the last 25 or so refining what I did want. The whole process really helped me nail down what I wanted in terms of tone, feel and, for lack of a better term, vibe in a guitar that I knew I would be keeping for a lifetime.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-08-2021, 04:35 PM

Still searching.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:02 PM

I think it's more a question of how many different brands of guitars you play -- from big companies to boutique to small shop -- rather than simply the number of guitars -- before you get an idea of what suits you.

You've got to play the "best" (typically the more expensive brands) guitars you can get your hands on to get an idea of the guitar world is all about. It doesn't mean they're going to suit your style. But at least you know what's out there.

On the Holy Grail thing -- it's an illusion. There are only guitars that more or less suit the individual.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I like my 57 Country Western a whole lot. Would I like a
1945 J-45 better? I'da know... I hate that there's one that
looks pretty good for sale on here now ... I
don't think there's a "holy grail" guitar for me, just like
I don't have a favorite BBQ... there's so many good ones...

-Mike
Old 02-08-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Before I bought my first good guitar, I played a half dozen or so other guitars, plus the used D28 That was head and shoulders above any of them. Bought that D28 for $400 and it was my only acoustic for 25 years. I sold that during a very long time largely not playing. When I started playing a lot again 4 years ago, I started playing quite a few guitars looking for “the one”. I played several and owned 4 or 5 before I found the CEO-7 that’s been my only acoustic since I bought it about a year ago. It’s the only acoustic I’ll “need” for the rest of my life - if I have another 25 years left I’m sure the guitar will be good for that.

I don’t know if I have a “holy grail” guitar, but I know when I find one that REALLY suits me in every way. So far I’ve had two. I have a curiosity to play a Pre-War Guitar Co 000-18 equivalent. If I do and it’s really THAT much better than my CEO-7, maybe that will replace the CEO and take me the rest of the way. I’m sure there are better guitars out there, but a Pre-War Guitar Co mahogany model would already be a heck of a financial reach - I’m probably 3-4 years from even being able to seriously consider one... And I’m a fairly limited player - not sure I’d really be able to appreciate or make use of the differences between my CEO and a theoretical holy grail guitar. We’ll see in time I guess.

-Ray
Old 02-08-2021, 05:09 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve owned several guitars over the years that I initially thought might be “the One.” But then my playing style changed, or my ear evolved, or my meager skills increased...whatever. Bottomline is that at some point the guitar just didn’t meet my needs like it used to anymore and moved on. So count me among those who no longer believe in “Holy Grail” guitars. I now just look for guitars that meet my needs now. I don’t worry about whether it will be with me for a lifetime.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:12 PM

I love most guitars My tastes have changed over the years, but its hard to beat a D-18, or a D-28, or a Gibson j-45,or an old Guild.... but I'll keep trying as long as my wife lets me keep buying them
Old 02-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Most of the guitars in my stable are like the starting lineup of a professional sports team... Often times when a new addition out classes a veteran the vet is sold or traded to another team. Hundreds of guitars later, and thousands played this occurrence is becoming more and more rare.

Exceptions are made for guitars with sentimental value of course

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ah acoustic, holy grail guitar poll