The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I have a 1930s Supertone which miracle of miracles has not needed a neck reset. Cost me a princely $35. Even came with its original canvas case and songbook.
Sounds like a heck of a deal! If nice playing guitars could be consistently had for 35 bucks, I’d have to build a bigger house!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:12 AM

For me it was a Yamaha FG 830 in tobacco burst that I got in an “open box” deal from a popular on line retailer for $240 including tax, tags, title and delivery. It arrived in it’s original unopened box. I did replace the ill fitting saddle, the plastic nut and the cheap plastic bridge pins at a total cost of less than $50, and I couldn’t be happier. It looks and sounds great. Considering my playing abilities, I started about one year ago, it sounds as good as a guitar costing several times what I have invested in it.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:18 AM

A seagull S-6 I bought for less than 200 for a friend at a pawn shop for his wife to give him for his birthday. That was years ago. I saw him recently and asked if he was still enjoying the guitar. He hardly ever gets it out. [emoji19]
Old 02-07-2021, 08:24 AM

I used to own a $50 Rogue. It actually sounded amazing!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:29 AM

I was in a music store years ago and some teens brought in there grandad’s fiddle, mandolin and guitar. The Shop owner bought the fiddle and mandolin and then laughed and said maybe I would buy the guitar.
It was a 1960 Harmony Broadway with a huge crack in the side and a broken sting. The crack was filled in with fiber glass glue of some sort. I chuckled and said I would go $5. They took it. I spent $40 with the luthier to get it playing. Ow I leave it out in the dinning room for an after dinner song, but more often for the GKs to beat on. It has paid the $5 many times over.
IMG_6309.jpg
Old 02-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

For new cheap guitars, Breedlove entry or Eastman PCH dred. Both had construction and set ups on par with their more expensive domestic models.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-07-2021, 08:30 AM

In 2007 we were in Nashville Indiana, in Indiana we refer to as Brown County. It's one of those little towns where houses have been turned into shops and there are people all over the place. Mostly couples, older married couples. The guys set outside while the ladies are in the shops.

Well they have a music store call Weed Patch Music. They sell guitars, mandolins, dulcimers, banjos and various different instruments. Things for mountain music. After all we are talking the hills in Southern Indiana.

This store is an Indiana guitar dealer. The owners at the time would even take the time to set up the guitar before it was set out on display.

I picked up an Indiana Scout in a natural finish. I was surprised at the tone of this one and how well it played. So it went home with me. The guitar, gig bag, and strap for $110.

This is the guitar listed in my signature. I have taken it to bluegrass jams and have been asked how I like my Martin. In 2007 they had a square head stock and with the tone if this one I get asked that fairly often.

So yea, my Indiana Scout, $110 with a gig bag and strap. The guitar was $100 with the bag.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-07-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Recently played, the brand is Art & Luthiere???, dark wood of unknown origin, not sure if solid wood or not...my brother in law owns it--recall it came from GC....way under $500.

Was thinking about it the other day, tried to find the company, not sure if they are in biz anymore. That little guitar looks nice, light weight, really plays great, a sweet voice.

Gotta admit, while I would not trade a Collings/SCGC for it, for the $$$$ sincerely doubt my guitar sounds or plays 10 times better.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRGUY005 View Post
Farida OT22. Very impressive.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2021, 09:16 AM

A dread, Epiphone DR-100 NA, for a little over $200 new, maybe five years ago. It worked so well due to its scalloped bracing, which made it sensitive and lush, very pleasing. It needed a bit of fret levelling, and I can't say how durable it will be, as I passed it along to Goodwill.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:17 AM

Simon & Patrick MJ.
Yamaha FG800.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:20 AM

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/

Canadian, part of the Godin family (Seagull guitars etc.) Probably laminate cherry on sides and back, maybe solid top depending on the model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Recently played, the brand is Art & Luthiere???, dark wood of unknown origin, not sure if solid wood or not...my brother in law owns it--recall it came from GC....way under $500.

Was thinking about it the other day, tried to find the company, not sure if they are in biz anymore. That little guitar looks nice, light weight, really plays great, a sweet voice.

Gotta admit, while I would not trade a Collings/SCGC for it, for the $$$$ sincerely doubt my guitar sounds or plays 10 times better.
Martin Dreadnaught Jr-E Sapele - Daughter's Toy
Yamaha FG JR2S - Son's Toy
Gretsch Jim Dandy - Seafoam Green - Everybody's Toy
Old 02-07-2021, 09:27 AM

My Ibanez AC240. Paid $230 as a B-stock. Great tone and excellent player.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post

Played a few of those. Not bad, to me it's fun to play the less expensive guitars.

I admit most of the time I just put them back. But a few times a year I find one and ask "Why would I spend 3 or 4 times this for brand X?".
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-07-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Same here!
Bro in law handed me that guitar while visiting after I left my guitar at home...jammed for hours, laughing, singing and just having fun. Feel fortunate to own nicer guitars, but it is not the guitar that makes a person happy. Same thoughts passed through my mind...

I also still play my Epiphone FT130 that I passed to my son living in CO.....50yrs of abuse and hard use for under $120---great investment...and think it still plays good/sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Played a few of those. Not bad, to me it's fun to play the less expensive guitars.

I admit most of the time I just put them back. But a few times a year I find one and ask "Why would I spend 3 or 4 times this for brand X?".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion