The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 02:58 AM

Default Cheapest guitar you were most impressed with.

Why not take this in the opposite direction of the earlier thread posted by morebass. This could turn into a Yamaha thread, but what the heck. I’m still curious.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:12 AM

Hey, another insomniac! Yes, we bought a cheap $100 Savon classical guitar a few years back. We were looking at it in a store and some hot classical player strongly suggested us going ahead and buying it. He said he was tempted himself. Anyway, it's a smaller body with a 1 and 3/4 inch neck, so I'm thinking it's meant to be a flamenco guitar. Built in Brazil, all laminate and built either in the late 60's or early 70's. It's in great shape, very nice fretboard and fret work, and doesn't sound bad at all. One we haven't regretted buying because it cost so little and is fun to play.
Old 02-07-2021, 04:33 AM

I've got a Cortez J-200 that is the loudest guitar I've ever heard...few hundred simoleons...
Old 02-07-2021, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

That's easy for me... a $350 Go Grande Mahogany Sam Radding made for me years ago. It's a mini guitar, so it will never compete with a full-bodied guitar. But it was lovely... 19 frets, a beautiful Rosewood fretboard, Honduran Mahogany B/S and Sitka top. It was intonated remarkably well considering its tiny size. Sweet little guitar. It's now living with a forum buddy who wanted it for a young granddaughter getting interested in music. So, it's still doing a great job of making somebody very happy.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

The least expensive guitar that really caught me by surprise is the Eastman E2D Cedar/Sapele. And although I've not played one, the OM version (E2OM) must be similar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-07-2021, 06:13 AM

A colleague of mine has a Squier acoustic guitar that I had previously setup and cut the nut too low. I finally got it back from him to correct the nut issue. The guitar sounds very very good. I'd record with it miced and not have any reservations whatsoever. Laminate top, laminate back and sides. Maybe a $79 guitar.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:37 AM

I’ll say the red label yammies and lawsuit taks are generally good sounding instruments that have good playability. They can be found somewhat cheap too.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Eastman PCH 1 OM. $263 out the door and it plays just as good as a lot of high end guitars.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
A colleague of mine has a Squier acoustic guitar that I had previously setup and cut the nut too low. I finally got it back from him to correct the nut issue. The guitar sounds very very good. I'd record with it miced and not have any reservations whatsoever. Laminate top, laminate back and sides. Maybe a $79 guitar.
Wow! Who needs solid wood anyway. Let’s see if anyone can beat $79!
Old 02-07-2021, 06:54 AM

A friend handed this to me to play a song in a song circle. Blew me away: it was a 60's Guild dread, all mahogany. One of the best 10 I have ever played.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's easy for me... a $350 Go Grande Mahogany Sam Radding made for me years ago. It's a mini guitar, so it will never compete with a full-bodied guitar. But it was lovely... 19 frets, a beautiful Rosewood fretboard, Honduran Mahogany B/S and Sitka top. It was intonated remarkably well considering its tiny size. Sweet little guitar. It's now living with a forum buddy who wanted it for a young granddaughter getting interested in music. So, it's still doing a great job of making somebody very happy.
I love it! Sounds like everyone got a great deal. Nice to see that it found a happy home.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:06 AM

Farida OT22. Very impressive.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I really liked the Gretsch Jim Dandy. I did not buy it on the first pass. When I decided to buy one, the shops had sold them all.

A friend bought a classical guitar, from a thrift shop, for $10.00, a few years back. After a fresh set of strings, some cleaning, and a few drops of oil on the tuner machines, he had his perfect beach guitar.

Last edited by k_russell; 02-08-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:24 AM

A Sigma 000m.

It's my go to living room guitar. (4 kids, so leaving expensive guitars out is asking for trouble).

It's not much of a strummer, but sounds great for finger picked blues stuff.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
Wow! Who needs solid wood anyway. Let’s see if anyone can beat $79!
I have a 1930s Supertone which miracle of miracles did not need a neck reset. Cost me a princely $35. Even came with its original canvas case and songbook.

Last edited by zombywoof; 02-07-2021 at 07:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion