The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2021, 12:41 PM

I will just add that my Taylor Academy 12 is about the easiest guitar for me to play. I have a GS Mini and it is great but can be a bit cramped, especially when playing with a capo. On the other end of the spectrum, a full scale Martin dread can pose challenges with reaches especially in first position. All that being said, the ability to adjust and play them all is beneficial. A second guitar with a different scale length will provide that, and be a spare in case one needs to be sent off for repair. For full size guitars, the Gibson slope shoulder is about the easiest to play, for me.

I agree with the comment above that a used guitar, especially from the big brands, bought at a good price is easy to sell later and not lose much, if any, money.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I think it depends a little on whether you want to play mostly finger style, flat picking, strumming, etc. I had a Mini for 6 mo or so. Liked it at first, but then found it to be too cramped for finger style, which is mostly what I do. In that case you might actually find a slightly larger guitar, maybe a 00 size with 1-3/4" nut, easier to play. If it were me, I'd add another guitar into the mix and see what you like best.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I think it depends a little on whether you want to play mostly finger style, flat picking, strumming, etc. I had a Mini for 6 mo or so. Liked it at first, but then found it to be too cramped for finger style, which is mostly what I do. In that case you might actually find a slightly larger guitar, maybe a 00 size with 1-3/4" nut, easier to play. If it were me, I'd add another guitar into the mix and see what you like best.
This was my experience too, plus mine didn't like a capo. Wanted to like it but became frustrated. Too toy like for me really.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:43 PM

From my experience, i would encourage you to start on a full scale length, unless you already know that you only want to ever play short-scale guitars. I've owned the Mini for a long time, i like it a lot, it's a fantastic camping and travel guitar, but it did mess me up in terms of muscle memory. When I first got the Mini, I think I didn't even know that guitars come in different scale lengths. I found the Mini such a blast to pay that i neglected my full-size guitars for a while. Once I switched back to my Dreadnaught, i was surprised to find i could no longer finger any chords, until my guitar teacher at the time explained to me why. Since then, I relegated the Mini purely to traveling. I've been playing for many years, but switching back and forth between scale lengths and nut widths messes me up big time.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-04-2021, 02:48 PM

I am a beginner too. I started with the GS Mini. I began to ask myself if the small scale was inhibiting my learning? So I bought an Eastman E2OM-cedar with a larger 24.9" scale and 1 3/4" nut. The larger scale allowed me to get a better feel where the heck to put my fingers compared to the smaller GS Mini scale.

I found practicing on the Eastman has improved my playing on the GS Mini. Since I live in one location and work in another I keep the GS Mini at home and the Eastman at my work location. This allows me to play the GS Mini for a couple of weeks while at home and the Eastman while on work location for a couple weeks. With all this said I now find that learning new skills on the Eastman and moving to the GS Mini is easier compared to learning on the GS Mini and then moving back to the Eastman.

I do suggest finding a good luthier and have the setup checked. I thought my GS Mini was fine and the Eastman needed a little adjustment. It was the opposite. He adjusted the GS Mini. The luthier could not stop playing the GS Mini, he absolutely loved it.

In summary, don't stop playin the GS Mini.

Last edited by source3; 02-04-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:57 PM

adorfman, Welcome to the AGF, albeit I'm 10 years too late . I see this is your first post. That must be a record.

If you're comfortable with the GS Mini then keep up with it. I would recommend that you make it to a guitar store (if possible) and try out as many different types of guitars as you can. You might find something that you prefer more based on the body size, neck size, scale length, string spacing, etc.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:09 PM

Welcome and congratulations on starting what can be a wonderful journey of learning to play an instrument. A nice comfortable guitar with a friendly string height makes this stage a whole lot more enjoyable. The GS Mini is a poplar guitar that fits this description and is enjoyed by many established players as well. Certainly, learning on this instrument is not going to make or break your future progress. As has been stated, switching to a greater scale is an issue for some and not so much for others. Yet, most who desire to advance get through the switch if necessary.

Thus, my general thought is a 25" scale is the most logical place to begin for adults and larger children. It sort of splits the difference. This is the scale of my daughter's first guitar. She can already play 25.5" if needed, but she always wants to get back to "hers". Enjoy your playing and try the larger scales as you get chances. You'll know how you feel about moving larger as you play more and try different guitars.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-04-2021, 03:19 PM

A GS Mini or any sub standard scale travel guitar are terrible guitars to learn on. Especially at 50. Time is the only thing you cant buy more of. You are going to spend many hours programming your brain to that short scale and conditioning your body to that limp tension. You can find high quality guitars for the same amount of money that will simply blow the GS Mini away.

The only question I have is with 10-20 years of good playing ahead of you how much time are you willing to waste toying around with a toy instrument. How much time are you willing to waste reconditioning to a full sized instrument?
Old 02-04-2021, 03:43 PM

Default A thought

Enough!

OP has a GS Mini and likes it. Next question.

Been there, done that. My GS Mini did a fine job of letting me learn basics. I've built a bunch of guitars (6) with various scale lengths, 23.5, 23.9, 24.8, 25.4, 25.5. They've all been playable for me. The Mini followed a fullsize Dreadnought that I built and preceded a half-dozen small dreadnoughts (93% of a Herringbone) of varying scale lengths. The one I'm currently playing has a 25.5" scale length, 650mm. I find its scale length no problem. Where my left arm goes, that's something to deal with. Mine have been a stew of 14, 13, 12 frets to the body of a body meant for 14 frets. The current one has 13 frets to the body and I find it easiest to play by virtue of intense attention to fretboard trueness and fret leveling, which I think trumps nominal dimensions. Scale length didn't make nearly the difference for me compared to a friendly fingerboard.

I encourage OP to carry on with carrying on. It's a fun trip.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:57 AM

Smile Just my view of the GS Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorfman View Post
HI all, I'm a 53 year old beginner, been playing around 5 months now. I've been using a Taylor GS Mini which I like quite a bit. My questions is whether that's an appropriate guitar to learn on or should I be starting out with a full size guitar?
Welcome to AGF! You sure took a long time (10 years) to make your first post!

So many good suggestions here. I still own a GS Mini Koa and used to own a Spruce GS Mini. The Mahogany GS Mini is the most popular flavor here in AGF according to a poll done sometime back. Here's the link.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=532626

According to a Taylor representative, the GS Mini is Taylor's best selling guitar. If I had to choose all over again and know what I know now, I probably would have chosen an Academy 12 over the GS Mini for its longer scale and also an added bevel. Anyway, I liked (and still like) the GS Mini so much that I started a GS Mini Club here in AGF, here's the link.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=528669

How comfortable you are with the GS Mini also depends on your stature. If you're 5'6" tall or below, you'll love the GS Mini. If you're taller than that, an Academy 12 is probably more suitable. Since you already own a GS Mini, it's alright to stick with it. If you become very active here in AGF, it is highly unlikely that you'll only own 1 guitar. We'll see...

Enjoy playing your GS Mini.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-05-2021, 04:15 AM

[QUOTE=Cool555;6625617)
How comfortable you are with the GS Mini also depends on your stature. If you're 5'6" tall or below, you'll love the GS Mini. If you're taller than that, an Academy 12 is probably more suitable. Since you already own a GS Mini, it's alright to stick with it. If you become very active here in AGF, it is highly unlikely that you'll only own 1 guitar. We'll see...

[/QUOTE]

Stature? Really? Much more to do with feel I think. The killer for me was the short scale and string spacing.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
HI all, I'm a 53 year old beginner, been playing around 5 months now. I've been using a Taylor GS Mini which I like quite a bit. My questions is whether that's an appropriate guitar to learn on or should I be starting out with a full size guitar?
The question is almost moot, you've already been on the Mini for 5 months. I wouldn't worry about it. My best guess is that there will be a period of adjustment if you decide to purchase a traditional short scale guitar down the road. It probably depends on your playing style - Bach violin solos or chords - but I suspect you'll adjust just fine given average size hands and a normal disposition toward a little temporary frustration.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-05-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
Stature? Really? Much more to do with feel I think. The killer for me was the short scale and string spacing.
I understand. I guess there are about 40-50% of members here that do not like the GS Mini for a variety of reasons. There are enough brands and makes of guitars these days to suit everyone. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Play whatever keeps you playing.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the great replies! Yes I was concerned about getting comfortable with it and then not being able to play on a full scale guitar later.
I started out on ukulele about 6 years ago. Moved to guitar......a GS mini as a matter of fact. Now I play 000 size with no issues and the bigger Larrivee L-01 which is almost dreadnaught size.

Start where you are and move up......or not .......if and when you feel like it. Humans adapt very well, that’s how we survived as a species when others didn’t.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion