The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2021, 05:56 AM

Default Remodeling a sad guitar that's almost good enough - pics added

So, long story. Due to these weird times, to free up some much needed space at home, I left one of my guitars in storage with the intention of eventually getting round to selling it, as I'd just never really bonded with it. The problem is, I'd forgotten that the heating in my office would come on over the winter and it dried out my guitar and the bridge lifted badly enough that it is unsellable, and even unplayable, without a repair.

Now, this is a funny little guitar. I bought it cheap in a roadside deal and it arrived in a plastic bag rather than a case. It was only the fourth guitar made by a local luthier so, on the down side, it's a bit rough around the edges. The saddle hadn't been fitted too well and had developed a forward lean that was left for too long and probably contributed to the excess pressure on the bridge. I had it fixed but it had been that way for a long time. It also has a horrible kind of cardboard coloured balsa-woody type binding around the body and along the edge of the fret board that I really don't like and isn't really very well done - probably the main evidence of the luthiers lack of experience. To make things worse, the neck dots are brass and get lost against the horrible binding, and since I'm mainly a singer, I like nice clear neck dots.

So far, so bad. On the plus side, it sounds great and plays pretty well too. On my last studio trip, it was picked out as the sweetest sounding of my guitars against high quality Gibsons and Bourgeois competition. It made it onto the next album and it does sound lovely (just had a listen again to check and it does sound great). It's basically a copy of a Martin 000-28, and although I'm not really a fan of the slightly wider nut, in many respects it's a lovely guitar. I remember taking it to my usual luthier, a gruff guy not free with his praise, and he remarked that builder had done a nice job. So I know that there is a decent guitar here.

Given that it has to have the bridge removed and reglued anyway, I'm thinking I might take it to my very good luthier, have him give me an idea of how much it would be to replace the vile binding, put in some nice clear side dots, fix the bridge and fit a proper fitting saddle. If the neck binding comes off, it will probably need a refret, and that would be okay too, as I'm not a fan of the skinny frets that are on it (one of the more serious things that never really bonded with) and my own luthier does great refrets, so that would be a big plus too. Aside from all that, it's got great wood on it and there's no issues with the basic structure of the guitar.

All this is going to cost a fair bit, but since I need to spend some money on the essential repair anyway, I'm thinking I could end up with a great sounding guitar that's exactly the way I want it. It saves me from having to sell something that isn't going to look great on an advert until you pick it up and play it, and replacing it with something that's as good, is invariably going to cost a lot more money. It also seems like a good idea as I try to do my little bit to move away from the throwaway lifestyle that seems to have messed up our planet.

I'm going to be investing quite a bit in a guitar with not much future resell value, but when it's done it should still be a fine player I can get a lot of use from. This is a decent plan isn't it? I'm not being crazy here, am I?
Custom-made Slothead 000-28
Tele
Strat

My music here: https://open.spotify.com/album/6t6Np...QpyroLrwiVSclQ
And here: https://borrowedbooks.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by jacf; 02-06-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:40 AM

Tough decision. I am glad I don't have to make it. The first thing is to nail down what it all would cost, then you have an objective base from which to make a subjective decision.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:45 AM

I think the big guitar reno would be cool to see the transformation, you should post some pictures of this vile guitar.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 AM

Sound is a heck of a lot more important than being pretty. If it's still going to sound beautiful and you're going to play it, sounds like a good plan to me.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08 AM

As long as you really attach some importance to getting this guitar up to scratch and aren't expecting to recover the costs if and when you sell, then go for it !
Old 02-03-2021, 07:21 AM

Default Remodeling a sad guitar that's almost good enough

Easy decision, at least for me. I’ve ‘wasted’ a bunch of money restoring old things I loved to make them better, even if it did put me underwater on the market value. An investment guitar stored in a vault has all the meaning of a dragon’s hoard, and my wife’s crappy old college-era epiphone will never be worth what I paid for repair and setup but brought far more pleasure. Sounds like you’re putting your money into a long-term relationship that matters to you, you’re the best judge of whether it’s worth it. People say money can’t buy happiness but that’s only because they spend it on crap that doesn’t matter.

Caveat, don’t go overboard. I’ve occasionally restored something, to find that I’d restored out some of the character and rough edges that made it so lovable.

Last edited by Fatfinger McGee; 02-03-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

It’s your sweetest sounding guitar? And you’ve got some really nice instruments?

Though I would check the cost (because I was not the person who won the billion dollar lottery) I would make it playable again.

What Fatfinger McGee wrote above really resonated with me. There is some real wisdom there.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I think it will be like that scruffy mutt you brought home from the pound that has won the hearts of everyone that meets it. I'd fix it up and get it to your specs. You may not be able to recoup the cost if you sell it, but I think it'll be well worth it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 AM

Default Thanks guys...

Yeah, I think we're all on the same page here. So that's good. Clearly, it has to have the bridge fixed and that means I'm spending money on it anyway, so there's bound to some saving on getting additional work done. I have to be up front and say that by no measure is this guitar an ugly wee dog. I'll post some pics so you can see, but it's a slothead 000-28, they all look fine. It has the flaws you might expect from a luthier still early in his career, but then this wasn't a Collings or Bourgeois priced guitar, so horses for courses and all that.

But I agree with those of you who say the most important thing is how a guitar sounds and how it fits with the music you play. And this guitar does that for sure. If it proves too expensive to sort all the binding, I might just live with the horrible binding (honestly, some of you might even like the binding but I really don't), but I'll definitely fix the side dots - that is a must-fix for me. The bridge and saddle I've no choice about - it don't work without it. The refret would be a luxury, but I like my Gibson-type frets and a nice new refret is always a joy to play.

You've all pretty much shored up what I'm thinking, but I'll take it along to the luthier tomorrow afternoon and I should have a better idea of what the choices are. I'm based in the UK but I'll share what the prices work out to be and how it goes, as some of you might be interested it all shakes out.

I know for sure I won't be able to sell it after this, but that's probably, probably... a good thing.
Tele
Strat

Old 02-03-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacf View Post
Yeah, I think we're all on the same page here. So that's good. Clearly, it has to have the bridge fixed and that means I'm spending money on it anyway, so there's bound to some saving on getting additional work done. I have to be up front and say that by no measure is this guitar an ugly wee dog. I'll post some pics so you can see, but it's a slothead 000-28, they all look fine. It has the flaws you might expect from a luthier still early in his career, but then this wasn't a Collings or Bourgeois priced guitar, so horses for courses and all that.

But I agree with those of you who say the most important thing is how a guitar sounds and how it fits with the music you play. And this guitar does that for sure. If it proves too expensive to sort all the binding, I might just live with the horrible binding (honestly, some of you might even like the binding but I really don't), but I'll definitely fix the side dots - that is a must-fix for me. The bridge and saddle I've no choice about - it don't work without it. The refret would be a luxury, but I like my Gibson-type frets and a nice new refret is always a joy to play.

You've all pretty much shored up what I'm thinking, but I'll take it along to the luthier tomorrow afternoon and I should have a better idea of what the choices are. I'm based in the UK but I'll share what the prices work out to be and how it goes, as some of you might be interested it all shakes out.

I know for sure I won't be able to sell it after this, but that's probably, probably... a good thing.

Thanks. I’m looking for to seeing it.
Once it’s playable a sound sample would be great, as well- if possible.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:35 AM

And if 'trigger' is good enough for Willy Nelson...

You can't beat a good-sounding guitar. One of my favorite guitars is John Thomas' 1943 Gibson SJ which went to war in Europe (1943) and came back (along with its owner). Over the years she's really worn around the edges, but what a sweetheart she is.

Good luck with your project!

best,

Rick
Old 02-03-2021, 11:01 AM

I will take some pictures before and after, and I'll post a little bit of it in the studio (it's the only recording of it I have). I don't expect the sound to change much, since there won't be much structural work done (although a refret can make a little bit of a difference.)
Tele
Strat

Old 02-03-2021, 11:50 AM

Oh, man. Sounds like my dream scenario to tinker. I'm looking to get a beat up guitar so I can try to do some of those repairs myself.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:02 AM

Okay, so I took some photos before the guitar went in for repair and as I was doing it, I realised I was being an idiot about the binding. So when I went to see the luthier, I said I was not going to touch it. He said, "That's a smart move. Do you really want to strip off a lovely real wood binding from your guitar?" No. No, I don't. Doh!

Bridge will be removed and refixed. He said that it's hide glue or similar and while he can see why people like it, he'd rather use titebond on a bridge, so that's what he's doing. He's going to replace the side dots and he's certain with a little bit of work, the frets will be fine. They've shrunk a bit but they also need a proper fret-dress as they're really bad. He's convinced the guitar will play really nicely once that's done.

It's looking to be in the vicinity of £100 for the bridge, £80 for the fret dress and other work, £40 for the side dots. I'd guess between £200 and £240 all in.

Tele
Strat

Last edited by jacf; 02-06-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacf View Post
Okay, so I took some photos before the guitar went in for repair and as I was doing it, I realised I was being an idiot about the binding. So when I went to see the luthier, I said I was not going to touch it. He said, "That's a smart move. Do you really want to strip off a lovely real wood binding from your guitar?" No. No, I don't. Doh!

Bridge will be removed and refixed. He said that it's hide glue or similar and while he can see why people like it, he'd rather use titebond on a bridge, so that's what he's doing. He's going to replace the side dots and he's certain with a little bit of work, the frets will be fine. They've shrunk a bit but they also need a proper fret-dress as they're really bad. He's convinced the guitar will play really nicely once that's done.

It's looking to be in the vicinity of £100 for the bridge, £80 for the fret dress and other work, £40 for the side dots. I'd guess between £200 and £240 all in.

Well worth it for the sweetest sounding guitar you own, a one of a kind original- IMHO.
The wood binding doesn’t bother me. Great call to let it be.
Can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it once the work is done. And even a sound sample if possible.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion