The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Pick Geek Thread - Dunlop Delrin 500 Smooth

I have all manor of picks in different materials from cheap to boutique and also make my own from casein and also Vespel. But I've not tried this range of Dunlop Delrin 500 picks before, and I don't normally like to play teardrop 351 shapes, but I'm just loving these!

If you like Blue Chip Vespel then this is the closest material to that I have played (closer than the Primtone smooth in Ultex and much closer than Tortex). But, in my opinion, in two respects it is better. Firstly, I find these picks are more balanced than BC picks when strumming (BC tends to be a bit "shouty" across the strings when strumming rather than giving more of a shimmer). And secondly, in the UK at least, they are a 50th the price of a Blue Chip pick - or 100th the price if you buy them in bulk!

Unfortunately, they only come in 351 shape. However, it really only took a few days to get comfortable with that. They feel like they are going to be very slippery but a quick finger wet gets you started and, once warm, they grip like Vespel.

So, if you don't have some of these in your pick geek collection they are worth a spin! I'm playing the 1.14 the most.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:06 PM

Indeed, a sleeper model. I recommend the Dunlop polycarbonate gels as well.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:16 PM

$2.95 for a dozen on Amazon Prime. For that price they are worth a try. I just ordered some.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-13-2021, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that review. Think Ill try them. Cant afford NGD or NAD for a while, so NPD it is!
I like the colors too. Seems like the more expensive a pick is, the more its likely to be earth-tone color or striped. Sucks to drop $45 on the ground and have it disappear!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-13-2021, 06:46 PM

I use the purple 2mm for electric and the lavender 1.5mm for acoustic. I've been using a 2mm since 1987- the same 2mm. It's a tough pick!

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Cool. Always interested in trying new pick material. Just ordered a dozen .46mm. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-13-2021, 06:48 PM

Ordered some .71's today. I gauged my mystery pick and that is the closest. We'll see how they compare.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:17 AM

I'm a big fan of the hot pink .96mm ones, and switch between using the pointy end or the shoulder end, plus they work well on the mandolin too.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

The Dunlop Delrin 500’s were my go to picks for 15 years....I use mostly casein picks these days...Charmed Life being my faves....but I still have a .96 500 in my favorite pick box that I use occasionally....and yes they are very close to a BC Vespel in tone and feel...

...I know from an interview I read about 20 years ago that they were Norman Blake’s favorite pick at that time....he said he liked the pink ones so I’m guessing he was using the .96....

Last edited by J Patrick; 01-15-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

I have all manor of picks in different materials from cheap to boutique and also make my own from casein and also Vespel. But I've not tried this range of Dunlop Delrin 500 picks before, and I don't normally like to play teardrop 351 shapes, but I'm just loving these!

If you like Blue Chip Vespel then this is the closest material to that I have played (closer than the Primtone smooth in Ultex and much closer than Tortex). But, in my opinion, in two respects it is better. Firstly, I find these picks are more balanced than BC picks when strumming (BC tends to be a bit "shouty" across the strings when strumming rather than giving more of a shimmer). And secondly, in the UK at least, they are a 50th the price of a Blue Chip pick - or 100th the price if you buy them in bulk!

Unfortunately, they only come in 351 shape. However, it really only took a few days to get comfortable with that. They feel like they are going to be very slippery but a quick finger wet gets you started and, once warm, they grip like Vespel.

So, if you don't have some of these in your pick geek collection they are worth a spin! I'm playing the 1.14 the most.
I use the 1.5 for my electric guitars, but when new there's usually a moulding ridge left around the perimeter which I have to sand off. I find them too dark-sounding for acoustic work. Ultex .90 are my go-to for acoustic playing.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:51 AM

I just received the new Black Mountain medium thumb pick. So far it's becoming my go to pick.

But these are so inexpensive I will have to get some just because.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-15-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking "ho hum, another pick thread..." until you said, "They feel like they are going to be very slippery but a quick finger wet gets you started and, once warm, they grip like Vespel."

I have an arthritis-related problem with gripping a pick these days, but promptly clicked over to Amazon after reading that and ordered a pack of .71s.

Thanks for the tip! I should have them by Tuesday.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Got a box full of these, which were OK replacements to my Martin nylon and delrins.

There is nothing wrong with them, but I'd beg to differ in comparing with Blue Chips.

p.s. good to see AndrewG back again, Hi Andrew!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
There is nothing wrong with them, but I'd beg to differ in comparing with Blue Chips...
Well they are not as well finished, and don't come in triangles, and don't have speed bevels (although I'm not having an issue playing them because of these factors). But they do sound better to me than Vespel does on the guitars I'm playing them on, and the material handles just as well.

Both Delrin and Vespel are DuPont plastics.

https://www.dupont.com/products/delrin.html

https://www.dupont.com/products/vespel-s.html

But I can't see where DuPont says in their specs that one is better for making guitar picks than the other?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:47 AM

I'm a recent convert to Delrin. Check out the prime grip version. I like 1.5mm - they have a nice rounded bevel and the grip helps with control so you don't have to choke the pick too tight. I also recommend the Dunlop Gator Grips, which is a sort of soft textured Delrin. I use the green 1.5mm.

I also like Fred Kelly's slick pick - heavy gauge. Great warm tone and the pick just slides off the strings without that clicky sound the way only Delrin can.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion