The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2020, 06:51 PM
AGF Administrator

Default NGD: Taylor American Dream AD12e Grand Concert

As reported here I came across this on Guitar Center's website. At this time it appears to be a GC exclusive as I'm not seeing it anywhere else, even Taylor's site. I did email Taylor with the serial number and asked for more information on it.

Spruce over ebony. Priced a bit high in my opinion for what the American Dream series is supposed to represent, and I expected to hate it and send it right back, but I am pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds. It sounds bigger than it is, a little boxy at times but not restrained, with some low end rumble reminiscent of the AP braced guitars that I really like.

IMG_2381.jpg IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyLKEpAkreU

Old 11-05-2020, 07:53 PM

Looks and sounds great! I enjoyed the sound of the guitar progressively more with each sample. Very nice playing.

You’re right — it’s got a crisp, bright sound you’d expect from a guitar that size, but the bass comes through really nice as well. How does it compare to the GT size guitar you had shared with us recently?
Old 11-05-2020, 08:02 PM

I think it sounds really good! Curious what strings you will decide on. It does remind me a bit of cocobolo with the glassiness, but then maybe overall most akin to Koa or Walnut imho.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:03 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Looks and sounds great! I enjoyed the sound of the guitar progressively more with each sample. Very nice playing.

You’re right — it’s got a crisp, bright sound you’d expect from a guitar that size, but the bass comes through really nice as well. How does it compare to the GT size guitar you had shared with us recently?
Thank you. I ended up returning the GT as it doesn't live up to its marketing in my opinion. This guitar, however, overperforms. The sound is bolder than you would expect, with pronounced bass, clear trebles, and a bit of a mid-range scoop. Being a GC with V-Class I expected it to be a bit thin and boring sonically, but I am pleased with the sound it produces.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:08 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I think it sounds really good! Curious what strings you will decide on. It does remind me a bit of cocobolo with the glassiness, but then maybe overall most akin to Koa or Walnut imho.
With Taylors I typically go with Elixir PB nanoweb. GC doesn't specify the type of strings on this one, but if it's like the other ADs, then they're probably D’Addario EXP16s and I like them enough to stick with them.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
With Taylors I typically go with Elixir PB nanoweb. GC doesn't specify the type of strings on this one, but if it's like the other ADs, then they're probably D’Addario EXP16s and I like them enough to stick with them.
That's interesting. With more modern rosewood guitars (like my cocobolo Furch), I think 80/20's are the best sounding. However, on Hog, I generally like PB. Ebony I have no idea lol.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Thank you. I ended up returning the GT as it doesn't live up to its marketing in my opinion. This guitar, however, overperforms. The sound is bolder than you would expect, with pronounced bass, clear trebles, and a bit of a mid-range scoop. Being a GC with V-Class I expected it to be a bit thin and boring sonically, but I am pleased with the sound it produces.
Gotcha. I wondered if maybe this was taking the place of the GT. I’d have to go back and listen to the samples, but just based on what I remember, I’d give the edge to this newer guitar as well.

I’ll be curious to see if they offer a mahogany-top flavor of this guitar and/or a 12-fret version. I don’t need any more dreadnought-sized guitars (okay, I’d make an exception for a D-28 or a D-45), but I don’t have anything in the concert/auditorium size range and I’ve always liked the 12-fret Taylors.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:08 PM

Congratulations!

You move quick!

In my collection, I have a custom build Cargill deep body 00, way more expensive, in Gabon Ebony with Italian Spruce top....which is why I noticed yours! It took quite a few years to break in, but now it is really delightful. It is rosewood(y) but way denser. Great fingerpicker! Mine!

Do they tell you what the faults are of your ebony to make it American Dream material...it is usually expensive!

Enjoy!

BluesKing777.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:40 PM

Oh. My.

Jeremy that is a beauty. I had no idea this model was out. My local GC has one. I may have to go and try it out. Looks like it would be an amazing gigging travel/guitar, for both it's tone and it's great looks. A conversation starter for sure.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-06-2020, 08:49 AM

Sounds wonderful! Congrats! I do agree about the price point being high for an AD, but that guitar sounds great!
Fender MIM Tele
Old 11-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Oh myyyy - absolutely love the look!

Please keep us updated!

Many congrats!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-06-2020, 09:36 AM

Golly. That's really cool.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:53 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Congratulations!

You move quick!

In my collection, I have a custom build Cargill deep body 00, way more expensive, in Gabon Ebony with Italian Spruce top....which is why I noticed yours! It took quite a few years to break in, but now it is really delightful. It is rosewood(y) but way denser. Great fingerpicker! Mine!

Do they tell you what the faults are of your ebony to make it American Dream material...it is usually expensive!

Enjoy!

BluesKing777.
Thanks. No mention of any issues with the ebony. Considering the AD12e is $300 more than the AD17e Blacktop, I imagine it's the ebony alone driving the price difference.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
Sounds wonderful! Congrats! I do agree about the price point being high for an AD, but that guitar sounds great!
Thank you. I think for the specs the price is okay, but at $1,999 maybe they shouldn't be calling this an American Dream.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:56 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Oh myyyy - absolutely love the look!

Please keep us updated!

Many congrats!
Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion