The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanolya View Post
Aside from differences already mentioned by other posters, the J15 has what Gibson calls a "Slim Taper" neck with a 12" fretboard radius, the same specs as the J45 Standard. In reality, it is anything but slim. Your G45 and J45 Studio both have the thinner, Advanced Response neck with a 16" radius. I've played the G45 and found it more comfortable and perhaps a little brighter, and the satin finish looks good. Last week I bought the J15 based in part on the more rounded radius and "Slim Taper" neck. Yesterday I returned it. It has that Gibson tone, no doubt, but for $1799 it isn't worth the additional cost vs. the G45. The neck turned me off, and just the general appearance and feel compared unfavorably vs. other guitars in that price range. In fact, I noticed what appeared to be cracks or long scratches in the gloss nitrocellulose finish beginning to appear on the top. Who knows why.

A year ago I bought a beautiful J45 custom rosewood model with a burst finish. Good tone, but dark sounding vs. my Martin, Guild, etc. Sounds crazy, but I just couldn't bond with it. It mostly sat on the stand while I played my others. I eventually sold it and took a hit, but went on to a Guild. I think the lower priced Gibsons have kind of a raw sounding growl that is appealing but I'd stick with your G45. I may just get one myself in what may be my last shot at a Gibson I can bond with.
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I'd have to disagree with your statement about the J-15's neck. I had a J-15, that I bought new in early 2015, that I had for almost a year. It was a very well made, and wonderful sounding guitar. I also liked the fact that it was made using walnut, instead of mahogany, or rosewood, due to walnut being a sustainable North American wood. I wanted the guitar to be a keeper, but it's slim taper neck very much felt too thin to me (unlike the necks of the J-35s I've had [which I had to sell during money crunches ]), leaving me feeling like I was fighting the guitar, despite giving myself almost a year to "get used to the guitar." As a result, I ended up getting rid of my J-15. I'd love to have another J-15, but beside the fact that Gibson discontinued them (after raising the J-15's price to quite a bit more than I paid for mine new in 2015), I doubt very much that they would ever put a thicker vintage or 50s spec neck on the J-15. So, no more J-15s for me. It's too bad, they are cool guitars, and IMO, can more than hold their own against a J-45.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 02-27-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:06 PM

This looks like some sort of tricky algebra problem. I think I'll go with "C-30" for my answer....
Old 02-27-2021, 10:40 PM

It’s funny, necks are such a matter of personal taste, and it’s hard to predict how they’ll feel in any one person’s hands. On the electric side I tend to like relatively chunky necks like those on old Teles and 59 style Les Pauls. Yet I love the J-15s neck. Hard to figure I guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion