The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 04:36 PM

Default What's the difference between a Gibson G-45 and a J-15?

I'm learning more about Gibson guitars recently. I see that a Gibson J-15 is very well-liked on this forum.

My G-45 Studio was $999 and I see that a new J-15 sells for around $1800...

Why is the J-15 $800 more than the G-45? They both use the same woods for top and back/sides right? (Sitka Spruce / Walnut)...

Just wondering what the differences are... And for those that have played both models, does one sound way better than the other? Is the $800 price increase worth it?

EDIT: Now I see there is also a J-45 Studio that sells for around $1500. So what is the difference between these three models? (G-45, J-15 and J-45 Studio)?
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120

Last edited by aeisen93; 12-21-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

The J15 is a full round shouldered dread size... like the J45. The G-45s are thinner bodies. Think 000-18 vs D-18.

I loved the G-45 I played side by side vs my J45 Studio (also thin body, walnut back and sides). I liked the pickup better in the J45 Studio, so I chose that model, but I actually preferred the raw more open acoustic tone of the G-45 Studio. The finishes are different as well by the way...

The J15 does sound fuller with more bass. It also has a nitro gloss finish, versus a satin finish I believe? The Baggs is a better pickup as well.

I have two Gibsons: a J45 TV and a J45 Studio. I love them both. If I could only have one it would naturally be the TV.

As I understand it, all spruce over walnut:

G45 Studio. Thin body. Satin top. Grover mini tuners. Fishman sonitone pup.

G-45 Standard. Thin body. Satin Gloss top. Grover mini tuners. Fishman sonitone pup.

J-45 Studio. Thin body. Nitro finish. Grover full size tuners. Baggs Pup.

J-15. Full width body same as J45. Nitro finish. Grover full size tuners. Baggs Pup.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 12-21-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 12-21-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
The J15 is a full round shouldered dread size... like the J45. The G-45s are thinner bodies. Think 000-18 vs D-18.

I loved the G-45 I played side by side vs my J45 Studio (also thin body, walnut back and sides). I liked the pickup better in the J45 Studio, so I chose that model. The finishes are different as well by the way...

The J15 does sound fuller with more bass. It also has a nitro gloss finish, versus a satin finish I believe? The Baggs is a better pickup as well.

I have two Gibsons: a J45 TV and a J45 Studio. I love them both. If I could only have one it would naturally be the TV.

What is the "TV"? I only know of the J-45 Standard and Studio. Based on what you're describing, I still don't see what would make the J-15 cost $800 more... I guess if the sound is a lot better that could alone do it...
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-21-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
What is the "TV"?
Well, it’s this big rectangular thing that has little lights ins....oh. Sorry.

True Vintage.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 12-21-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Well, it’s this big rectangular thing that has little lights ins....oh. Sorry.

True Vintage.
I think you have a better chance of becoming a famous musician than a famous comedian! Thanks though! I haven't heard of the true vintage... I'm going to look it up now.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is the "TV"? I only know of the J-45 Standard and Studio. Based on what you're describing, I still don't see what would make the J-15 cost $800 more... I guess if the sound is a lot better that could alone do it...
More expensive tuners. A nitro finish. Full size body depth vs thin. Better pickup. Are the parts and labor worth $800 more? Only you can decide. My J-45 True Vintage is probably worth $3300, and worth every penny to me.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
...Based on what you're describing, I still don't see what would make the J-15 cost $800 more... I guess if the sound is a lot better that could alone do it...
It wasn't always that price. Gibson jacked it up and introduced the G-45. It made a slightly cheaper alternative to secure entry level sales and a higher entry price for a "real" Gibson. Granted, the J-15 is still essentially a walnut J-45 in terms of construction, so it's still a good buy.

I tried a G-45 once and set it down almost immediately. I've kept my J-15 for about 2 years though.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 12-21-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow View Post
It wasn't always that price. Gibson jacked it up and introduced the G-45. It made a slightly cheaper alternative to secure entry level sales and a higher entry price for a "real" Gibson. Granted, the J-15 is still essentially a walnut J-45 in terms of construction, so it's still a good buy.

I tried a G-45 once and set it down almost immediately. I've kept my J-15 for about 2 years though.
I'm interested to know more about your experiences with the G-45 vrs. J-15... How does the J-15 sound compared to the G-45? Tell me everything you know! Thanks!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-21-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm interested to know more about your experiences with the G-45 vrs. J-15... How does the J-15 sound compared to the G-45? Tell me everything you know! Thanks!
The G-45 was bright and one dimensional. The J-15 sounds like a full sized guitar with depth. It's still a bit on the bright side, but not zingy unlike the G-45.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 12-21-2020, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Pro tip. Different strings yield very different tone. 80/20, nickel bronze, PB, monel, coated, uncoated.... you might be surprised what breathes life into your guitar/play style.

You can ask for recs, but it’s an individual and inexpensive first fix journey.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:39 PM

Buy your next Gibson from Sweetwater. They have very easy returns. This is especially important when buying a "bargain" Gibson. If You want that Gibson sound, buy a nice used J-45 or SOUTHERN JUMBO. I had two great Advanced Jumbos, one East Indian and one Brazilian. I had a nice Gibson J-35, but I couldn't bond with that one. I have played a few pretty good ones though. I would really get a used J-45, and not a studio model. They are not as deep, and I've played some pretty forgettable G-45's and J-15's.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:16 PM

I can't tell you exactly why a J15 cost more but it could be the top, back and side woods may be a lower grade but cant confirm. Body depth = more wood used on J15 = higher cost. The neck on the J15 is also a two piece maple with walnut stringer which means better woods and more labour involved = higher cost. The pick up on the J15 is better adding a cost. J15 Nitrocellulose finish vs satin = higher cost. Slighter better tuners.

That stuff adds up in cost but may not be everything. Its possible Gibson was under pricing
J15's for the first few years to gain market share. Now they may be pricing more realistically. The same might be true for the G45 studio. It's possible they are slighty underpricing to gain market share snd will slowly raise the price to reflect real cost.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:01 AM

Aside from differences already mentioned by other posters, the J15 has what Gibson calls a "Slim Taper" neck with a 12" fretboard radius, the same specs as the J45 Standard. In reality, it is anything but slim. Your G45 and J45 Studio both have the thinner, Advanced Response neck with a 16" radius. I've played the G45 and found it more comfortable and perhaps a little brighter, and the satin finish looks good. Last week I bought the J15 based in part on the more rounded radius and "Slim Taper" neck. Yesterday I returned it. It has that Gibson tone, no doubt, but for $1799 it isn't worth the additional cost vs. the G45. The neck turned me off, and just the general appearance and feel compared unfavorably vs. other guitars in that price range. In fact, I noticed what appeared to be cracks or long scratches in the gloss nitrocellulose finish beginning to appear on the top. Who knows why.

A year ago I bought a beautiful J45 custom rosewood model with a burst finish. Good tone, but dark sounding vs. my Martin, Guild, etc. Sounds crazy, but I just couldn't bond with it. It mostly sat on the stand while I played my others. I eventually sold it and took a hit, but went on to a Guild. I think the lower priced Gibsons have kind of a raw sounding growl that is appealing but I'd stick with your G45. I may just get one myself in what may be my last shot at a Gibson I can bond with.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanolya View Post
Aside from differences already mentioned by other posters, the J15 has what Gibson calls a "Slim Taper" neck with a 12" fretboard radius, the same specs as the J45 Standard. In reality, it is anything but slim. Your G45 and J45 Studio both have the thinner, Advanced Response neck with a 16" radius. I've played the G45 and found it more comfortable and perhaps a little brighter, and the satin finish looks good. Last week I bought the J15 based in part on the more rounded radius and "Slim Taper" neck. Yesterday I returned it. It has that Gibson tone, no doubt, but for $1799 it isn't worth the additional cost vs. the G45. The neck turned me off, and just the general appearance and feel compared unfavorably vs. other guitars in that price range. In fact, I noticed what appeared to be cracks or long scratches in the gloss nitrocellulose finish beginning to appear on the top. Who knows why.

A year ago I bought a beautiful J45 custom rosewood model with a burst finish. Good tone, but dark sounding vs. my Martin, Guild, etc. Sounds crazy, but I just couldn't bond with it. It mostly sat on the stand while I played my others. I eventually sold it and took a hit, but went on to a Guild. I think the lower priced Gibsons have kind of a raw sounding growl that is appealing but I'd stick with your G45. I may just get one myself in what may be my last shot at a Gibson I can bond with.
Thanks for the info. The G-45 sounds GREAT with fingerpicking. I think when strumming though (with a guitar pick) it sounds a bit thin compared to my Martin or Taylor. Overall the G-45 is a pretty good deal though considering it's solid wood, American made, comes with a really nice case, and it's a Gibson!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 02-27-2021, 12:22 PM

Well now both of these models have been discontinued. I feel good that I was able to buy a new solid wood USA Gibson for $999... Now the cheapest new Gibsons cost $1649.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion