The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Martin builds fine instruments for sure. Not sure what might be best for you. At 63 I have some shoulder issues but still own dreads with the exception of two OM's. It depends on your particular playing style and what you want/need to accomplish. Having owned most of the dreads in the Standard Line (not the 42/45) I still believe the 18's and 28's are the meat and potatoes and can cover most anything you'd care to throw at them. After the dread I like the OM mostly due to the scale length. Same as the dread and you're not losing that much tonally. More comfortable to play for sure.

As has been mentioned...you may find one that sounds great and another that is "meh"? Best played first if at all possible.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 11-12-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:09 AM

What do I think of Martins - honestly?

The standard series and above are fantastic guitars. They sound -- like a Martin, which means rich, wonderful and iconic. No 3rd party Martin styled guitar sounds quite like them. They would probably be the only guitar I'd ever buy EXCEPT...

I'm not a fan of their two current standard neck shapes. The MLO w/ PA taper is too thin for me and the string spacing at the saddle is quite narrow at 2 5/32". The Mod-V has simply never felt comfortable to me (it's my issue, not a problem with the shape per se).

However, I do love the Martin sound and I eventually ordered a Custom Shop 00-21 (14 fret). This guitar has the MLO neck, but without the PA taper, so the string spacing at the saddle is a comfortable (for me) 2 1/4" and it feels bit chunkier (though still slimmer than my Huss & Dalton which has the perfect neck for me).
Old 11-12-2020, 07:14 AM

I HONESTLY like the two I own. Did you think we were going to lie?
Old 11-12-2020, 07:15 AM

I can't claim to be a Martin expert but I think the boss, Bob Taylor is doing a great job and the skill and craftsmanship in Bozeman Montana is second to none.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:21 AM

I like Martin guitars and own two non standard dreadnoughts with non standard Adirondack tops and non standard string spacing over a non standard modified V neck. I’m not a fan of their standard specs, haha.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I can't claim to be a Martin expert but I think the boss, Bob Taylor is doing a great job and the skill and craftsmanship in Bozeman Montana is second to none.
You nailed that!! Would that be a "MaTaGib" guitar??

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-12-2020, 07:40 AM

I honestly think they make some the most remarkably tone consistent factory guitars. And that their current Standard series are some of the best value/quality/tone made currently
Old 11-12-2020, 07:45 AM

Well, mine - but it's not for sale. But you can get pretty close with a 000-28.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-12-2020, 07:46 AM

I’ve owned several Martins, some were good, some were not.

I think they are incredibly inconsistent and when I sit down to play one in a store, it’s never very satisfying. Rarely do I play one that impresses me and perhaps most of that is from being spoiled by Goodalls, Collings’, and others, but that’s the level I expect and require.

A really great Martin can be found but if you’re thinking you can find one from a picture and description, good luck.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-12-2020, 07:52 AM

For what it’s worth I find Martin and Gibson factory made guitars to be the top brands in any Canadian guitar store I go in. They are stellar in fit and finish. Quality control is obviously at very high standards. I am not the best at tone descriptions I only know that I think they’re great.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 11-12-2020, 07:58 AM

Default What do you all HONESTLY think of Martin guitars?

I wanted a Martin 20 years ago, but after 6 months of shopping found that a Taylor GA best fit my needs and bought a 414. Still kept wanting the boom of a Martin dred and my wife bought me a D-15 from a family that needed the money in 2019. When it came it was unplayable. After a good neck reset it played and sounded great, but I like a wider neck. So now it is with my son who really enjoys it.
Silly Mustache mentioned he had seen several Martin neck resets, and it seems to have been mentioned on the forum some. I would have someone go over the neck thoroughly so you do not have to worry about a reset anytime soon.
Sound...I love the Martin sound.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys,

Wanting to know what is your honest opinion on Martin guitars, whether it be body shapes, tone woods, Good for finger picking or flat picking etc. I'm only asking because I'm on the verge of buying one that's really got my attention.

Based on the Martins you all own and have played over the years, what would you say is the ideal Martin for someone like me who's kind of a hybrid with acoustics (flat picker/finger style).
Your question is kind of confusing in that it is more or less divergent questions with two completely different meanings.
The first question appears to be asking "Should I buy a Martin ? " honestly I think for the money you can probably do better.

Have played a bunch of Martins over the years BUT Don't own any Martins (which goes to first question) so can't offer and informed opinion on Martin model selection.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-12-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys,

Wanting to know what is your honest opinion on Martin guitars, whether it be body shapes, tone woods, Good for finger picking or flat picking etc. I'm only asking because I'm on the verge of buying one that's really got my attention.

Based on the Martins you all own and have played over the years, what would you say is the ideal Martin for someone like me who's kind of a hybrid with acoustics (flat picker/finger style).
So what model are you looking at? You didn’t tell us.

Anyway, if you haven’t played many Martins, the D18s are a famous model and sound, so famous that it could be a bit er....boring.....until you play yours! Then you think: ‘AHA!’ And if you don’t get along, it will sell in seconds! Any odd bod could be trickier to sell on.

BluesKing777.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
What do I think of Martins - honestly?

The standard series and above are fantastic guitars. They sound -- like a Martin, which means rich, wonderful and iconic. No 3rd party Martin styled guitar sounds quite like them. They would probably be the only guitar I'd ever buy EXCEPT...

I'm not a fan of their two current standard neck shapes. The MLO w/ PA taper is too thin for me and the string spacing at the saddle is quite narrow at 2 5/32". The Mod-V has simply never felt comfortable to me (it's my issue, not a problem with the shape per se).

However, I do love the Martin sound and I eventually ordered a Custom Shop 00-21 (14 fret). This guitar has the MLO neck, but without the PA taper, so the string spacing at the saddle is a comfortable (for me) 2 1/4" and it feels bit chunkier (though still slimmer than my Huss & Dalton which has the perfect neck for me).
Is this a different neck profile than LA Guitar's custom 00 21? Which by the way I own, I love it with its Martin sound. Nobody does Martin better than Martin, lots of copycats out there.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:16 AM

Default What do you all HONESTLY think of Martin guitars?

Depends - pre- or post-Grandpa CFM III...?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion