The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Buy it because it is cheap?

I went to a garage sale and they had a guitar sitting there. It was a Savannah. I had never heard of a Savannah guitar so I searched it quickly on my phone. Not a high dollar guitar it looks like, maybe a hundred twenty new, but the seller had a thirty dollar price tag on it. I was tempted, but my conscious was standing there beside asking me why I want to buy a cheap guitar when I have two more expensive ones at home. In the end I left it there. We went to the coffee shop and when we came back by on the way home it was gone. I think she is right, do I really need to buy a guitar just because it is cheap? I think if it had been there when we came back by I would have grabbed it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-16-2021, 09:43 AM

You sound like me, but I think you got lucky.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:50 AM

Default Everyone needs a cheap guitar

We should all have at least one, just in case the impulse overtakes us to go outside during a thunderstorm and play "Hee Haw Honey." Just in case we have to travel cross-country in the back of a pickup truck. Just in case our practice space is invaded and we need something to fend off attackers. There's a number of situations that call for a cheap guitar, and in those cases, nothing else will do.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:58 AM

Someone here posted that cheap guitars are easy to accumulate and hard to get rid of. I think they were quite right, although that hasn't stopped me from grabbing a few 😉.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:58 AM

Probably all for the best, perhaps leaving it to someone who really needed a cheap one, yes?

My "yard sale" buy was a $10 (some decades of inflation ago) Silvertone archtop in blue and white. Purchased on a hot day in the summer and, by necessity, left in a hot car for a couple more, it came out no worse for the wear. It played fairly well and sounded kinda ok. Since I had better for my own use, I gave it a music teacher starting a guitar class, and it ultimately ended up with a musician whose first guitar was...a blue and white Silvertone.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

I've often thought about picking up a cheap guitar just to practice repairs on, or maybe as a challenge to see how playable I could make it. $30 would have been hard to resist.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I’ve made the mistake of buying a cheap guitar just because. Never really played it and gave it away. If I found one that really filled a niche then I would consider it again.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-16-2021, 10:49 AM

I think those are similar to the Rogue acoustics that MusiciansFriend sells, all laminate.
Considering that the MF ones go for around $60, it's probably not a killer deal.
I think I used to have one in pink...
Old 05-16-2021, 11:00 AM

I usually try not to buy things that I'll never use. A few good reasons to buy a cheap guitar have been mentioned. None really apply to me at the moment.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2021, 11:02 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I've often thought about picking up a cheap guitar just to practice repairs on, or maybe as a challenge to see how playable I could make it. $30 would have been hard to resist.
Yep, that would be my only interest, too. I wouldn’t buy it because its cheap; I’d buy it because it’s useful.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-16-2021, 11:03 AM

If it played half decent I may have purchased it if only to practice guitar maintenance things like a refret.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:06 AM

My weakness is more when a used quality instrument is going for a couple of hundred. It happened recently with an Ovation Balladeer Special in 'Great' condition from GC Used Online: $295 with a higher quality Ovation case. With tax and shipping, it came around $335.

I already knew that Balladeer Specials were solid, unfancy but quality guitars, and I do have a soft spot for nice Ovations. This one came as advertised and is an excellent alternative to my all-wooden acoustics. But would I have bought it if it had been priced higher, and did I really need another acoustic? No to the first question but not sure to the second. This is a shallow-bowl O, and it sounds great through both my Fishman acoustic amp and my JC-40. The neck is also rock solid and straight with a low action, and I'll feel no qualms about putting it in all sorts of altered tunings. So, maybe it did fill a certain niche or two.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:13 AM

About one year ago, I found an expensive used guitar for sale just listed that very morning and the seller, not knowing exactly what he had, priced it at 25% of the second hand market value. I decided to pass on it and, later that day, it sold to someone else. For about a day, I regretted not buying it, but after about a week I was glad I did not buy it because I would not have played it much anyway.
Robert A
Old 05-16-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishigashira View Post
Someone here posted that cheap guitars are easy to accumulate and hard to get rid of. I think they were quite right, although that hasn't stopped me from grabbing a few 😉.
Yep.

Unless the guitar is something you want and that you are certain is a good value, best not to bring it home. Cheap guitars are like puppies and kittens...much better to say “no”, than to say “yes” and then change your mind.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:34 AM

I would have at least asked if I could it up and give it a try. I have a hard time passing by instruments with a low price tag. Just never know.

I don't have a problem with inexpensive instruments. Shoot, look at my signature. Those 2 Indiana's get played on a regular basis along with the Lotus.

They even get taken along to a jam once in awhile. Every guitar deserves to get played.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion