The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2020, 01:13 PM

Default Have you purchased a guitar (without trying it first) just for the brand?

Have you ever purchased a guitar without trying it first just for the brand / name on headstock?

A few years ago I wanted a Martin. I just thought it would be cool to have one given their history and fame. I ordered an inexpensive Martin online and I'm very happy with it...

I bought it strictly because I wanted a Martin, without even knowing much about them (sound, feel, etc...)

I guess it's like anything else that we may collect.

What are your experiences with this?
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 10-24-2020, 01:20 PM

I've bought several. Some worked out well ...some didn't. One, off an eBay seller, came with a lifting bridge.

My suggestion: Buy ONLY if the seller/store has a generous and accommodating return policy. I've had to pay a "buyer's remorse" fee too but they vary from place to place.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-24-2020, 01:21 PM

I bought my Guild because I always wanted a Guild. But I did play it first. I am happy with it.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:22 PM

Sure but I always make sure it is returnable. I live in the country so getting to a store is a pain.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

18 years ago I had Scott Illott, a local luthier build me a guitar, based on my experience of playing one of his guitars in a shop 5 years before that. So yes, I bought a new guitar sight unseen, based on the "brand." Worked out really well, I'd say. Still have the guitar. Still love it.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I've bought several. Some worked out well ...some didn't. One, off an eBay seller, came with a lifting bridge.

My suggestion: Buy ONLY if the seller/store has a generous and accommodating return policy. I've had to pay a "buyer's remorse" fee too but they vary from place to place.
Just saw in your signature you have a Rogue mandolin! I have one too... It sounds great and was so cheap.. (maybe $50?)
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 10-24-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Have you ever purchased a guitar without trying it first just for the brand / name on headstock? What are your experiences with this?
Yes. Sometimes good and sometimes better. In point of fact, it's been quite some time since I bought a guitar that I did try out first...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-24-2020, 01:38 PM

To my mind, it's not always that scary of a thing to do. Would I blow $10,000 on a guitar I had never seen? Not likely. However, risking $2000 or even up to $3000 for a brand you have heard of, or something you have seen on youtube isn't crazy. If you live in the USA, there is a luxury there of having so much choice in your own country. For us Canadians, there just isn't as much around that is available when we are looking. Sure, things come up now and then. But, it's just harder.

All this being said, I wouldn't spend that kind of money sight unseen if I didn't have the money to spend. That would be risky. But, sometimes we need to gamble. I have purchased a few high end classical guitars sight unseen from reputation and they have turned out well. There was only one guitar that I bought from eBay from an unknown builder that didn't turn out so well, but I only put out $1000 for it and I ended up selling it to someone who loved it. I thought I could handle a very narrow neck on a historical replica; that just didn't work out for me. However, it still wasn't a complete loss. I think I lost $100 after everything from the sale of it. If you buy this way, just beware that ANY used guitars, if you don't know what you are looking for, may need repairs. When I buy used, I factor that in to the price I will pay for anything. I have no idea how in the market these days people are charging ridiculous prices for used stuff. If I am buying used at 10 or 20% off the new price, I will just buy new. No way is that worth it.

My opinion...
Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 10-24-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Several times:
In 1987 - ordered a Guild JF65-12 Blonde through a friend/owner of a local music store. I knew the Guild brand, style and quality .. I already owned a D44M built in the same factory (Westerly R.I.) ... No regrets...
In 2011, based on Breedlove's reputation, especially for their USA made instruments, I ordered from MF a Breedlove American Series OM/SM as a gift for my son... I was so impressed with it I ordered an OM-SReH for myself.. No regrets.
In 2014 - ordered from MF a China made Breedlove Nylon string cross-over guitar. Didn't like it at all.. Sent it back.
In 2014 - ordered from GC Used Gear - a La Patrie Etude classical and a Cordoba GK Flamenco - kept the La Patrie - returned the Cordoba (not for me)
In 2018 - ordered from Sun Valley Guitars an Eastman E1SS-LTD - uneven frets on treble side (no more stock available on this limited model) - sent it back in exchange for AC108ce-LTD - No regrets
In 2019 - ordered via Reverb.com a Breedlove Pursuit Concert Cedar/Ovangkol Cutaway Electric - Didn't like it at all.. Sent it back.
In 2020 - ordered via Reverb.com a Larrivee 000-40 (I have posted about that experience) - kept the guitar (love it) / done with the dealer

Last edited by FingahPickah; 10-25-2020 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Just saw in your signature you have a Rogue mandolin! I have one too... It sounds great and was so cheap.. (maybe $50?)
I think I paid even less maybe five years ago, maybe $44. I got a set of Martin strings for it ... and I still have it in the original shipping box. I keep it in my bathroom. No reason. I've forgotten the three chords I learned. I've been meaning to donate to a child ... or sell it ... or learn how to play it.

I'm leaning toward one of the first two options.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-24-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

The first PreWar I played was because I bought it over the internet.
The first Bourgeois I played was because I bought it over the internet.
The first Eastman I played was because I bought it over the internet.
The second Collings I ever played was because I bought it...

All have been fine instruments and I keep my eyes open for deals so I can make my money back if they're not for me. I usually do OK.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I have a couple of times. Most recently I bought a Furch dread. Very happy with it.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-24-2020, 02:01 PM

The only time I've done that was with my Voyage Air guitar. After reading about its capabilities for travel and its relatively low cost I took the plunge having never played or even seen one in person. It turned out to be a great purchase, so no returns or regrets. Having said that, I can't imagine circumstances arising where I'd do something like that again.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-24-2020, 02:02 PM

I bought many Taylor Guitars and Guild Guitars online without playing them first and they were all excellent and never had a bad experience.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Most of my "acquisitions" came my way via ebay. I biought my first Collings in 1999. then three more via ebay, as a friend said "how bad could a Collings be?"

I've recently bought a couple of Eastman guitars which is another brand that I considered worth the risk.

Win some, lose some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion