The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2020, 12:49 PM

I played Iris guitars at the La Conner Guitar Festival. Playability is great, but I was a bit put off by the open-pore finish. They are clearly appealing to a non-conventional aesthetic. The prices were attractive for a hand-built guitar, and I walked away from the booth admiring the build ethic without feeling any GAS for these guitars. It ended up being the guitar I wished I could fall in love with, but couldn't.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Well, actually, Adam started IRIS in his shop well before before Dale was around.

If you're using the term "factory guitar" to mean something like a production line instrument you'd get from a bigger name (Martin, Taylor), I'd argue quite the opposite. There are only a few guys in their shop and they pretty much make these guitars with every bit of the attention and care they do a Circle Strings or a Fairbanks, just with intentional choices for materials, finishing, (lack of) embellishment, etc to keep them affordable.
Obviously unless Dale had a teleporter he was still in CT in 2018. But if you watched the NAMM clip he says he was not around at the inception of Iris guitars. And factory guitars was not in any way meant as a statement about quality but simply the build process as they are team built using CNC machines to rough parts out and skilled hands to do the rest. But if I were to break a 55+ year old habit and buy a new guitar if you asked a Magic 8 Ball whether it would be an Iris the answer would be "Signs Point to Yes."
Old 12-15-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

That J45 type Iris that is for sale on reverb is very tempting. I bet it's a great guitar.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I played Iris guitars at the La Conner Guitar Festival. Playability is great, but I was a bit put off by the open-pore finish. They are clearly appealing to a non-conventional aesthetic. The prices were attractive for a hand-built guitar, and I walked away from the booth admiring the build ethic without feeling any GAS for these guitars. It ended up being the guitar I wished I could fall in love with, but couldn't.
I was at La Conner too, and my opinion is pretty much the same. I also do not like the logo at all.

I think the concept is great, similar to Waterloo but even less expensive. I see there’s a new model based on a KG-11 that belongs to Dan Erlewine. That’s something that normally might interest me, but I’d be put off by the logo.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:42 AM

Default Small body Iris

Quote:
THe original model - the OG - is pretty much right on with the classic Gibson LG size.

They have added 3 models since the brand launched and they cover all the bases, in my opinion.

the CH is a super unique slope shoulder size 0 - basically right on with a martin size 0 with a narrower slope shoulder upper bout. Super comfy and a cannon you have to play to believe.

The DF is slope shoulder dread on the J-45 platform. It's a killer.

The AB is akin to a small jumbo and built on the J-185 platform.

The DF and AB are great for people who like the bigger bodies for sure. I have an OG and a CH cuz I like smaller bodies and value comfort, but they don't lack for tone at all.
I just got an OG and am beyond thrilled with it. Already planning my next Iris purchase. I also prefer smaller guitars, but do you find the OG and the CH sufficiently different to justify having both?
Old 01-07-2021, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm starting to think a relic'd Smeck may be in the cards for me!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds12888 View Post
I just got an OG and am beyond thrilled with it. Already planning my next Iris purchase. I also prefer smaller guitars, but do you find the OG and the CH sufficiently different to justify having both?
Yeah - the OG is spruce top hog b/s and enough bigger that it has a real different character and for my tastes, cover strumming and anything I would otherwise look for a bigger body to do, but it's so comortable and dynamic.

My CH is all mahogany and has a completely different character that I absolutely love. I strum on it and it's loud and clear, but it shines when you play with fingers or play lead lines with a pick. I'm not awesome at that, but that's where it's a real killer. If you have any skills in playing lead stuff like, say Dave Rawlings or Kenneth Pattingale, it's a monster with lots of clear definition and volume.

I can justify them both, but if I had to have just one, I'd have the CH...2 reasons. The second reason is because it's just so unique in shape and size, but really covers a lot more bases than you'd think on appearance. The first reason is cuz it's my signature model and named after me...I ain't never getting rid of it ;-)
Old 01-08-2021, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah - the OG is spruce top hog b/s and enough bigger that it has a real different character and for my tastes, cover strumming and anything I would otherwise look for a bigger body to do, but it's so comortable and dynamic.

My CH is all mahogany and has a completely different character that I absolutely love. I strum on it and it's loud and clear, but it shines when you play with fingers or play lead lines with a pick. I'm not awesome at that, but that's where it's a real killer. If you have any skills in playing lead stuff like, say Dave Rawlings or Kenneth Pattingale, it's a monster with lots of clear definition and volume.

I can justify them both, but if I had to have just one, I'd have the CH...2 reasons. The second reason is because it's just so unique in shape and size, but really covers a lot more bases than you'd think on appearance. The first reason is cuz it's my signature model and named after me...I ain't never getting rid of it ;-)

Yeah I guess that pretty much means you're married to it after they decided to name it after you!
Old 01-08-2021, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Yeah I guess that pretty much means you're married to it after they decided to name it after you!
They also NAILED it so hard, it's exactly the guitar I wanted in every single way, so it's perfect.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:13 AM

I sent in an inquiry with some questions last week. I was pleased that Adam responded very quickly - that's a good sign.

A) They won't build a guitar with a plain headstock. In his words "We put our logo on the guitar. You can do whatever you would like to it after it is yours."

B) They do different "levels" of relic ($500 upcharge)

C) They will do different neck carves - V, C, thin, thick, etc.

D) They can do "Euro, red, or whatever spruce you like" for the top

E) They just came out with a 12-fret "Smeck" style. It's the DF body with a 12-fret neck plus the body is "a little deeper".

F) "We also are going to offer a Slothead version with less ornamentation. $500 upgrade"

G) 4-5 month lead time on a custom order

I'm fascinated by what these guys are doing. I'm not sure the sound is what I'm after - I'm a flatpicker and bluegrass player whose ear is tuned mostly to the classic Martin tone - but they have me thinking!

Gary
Old 01-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Since I had sold a guitar on the 1st I was looking for another one. So I contacted TNAG about the DF they had in stock last night and set up a call for this afternoon and it sold already! So I contacted Chicago Folk Town for the last one I could find and pulled the trigger. Should be here Tuesday, can't wait!
Old 01-09-2021, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I own two of Adam's Circle String guitars and I can't say enough good things about him and the quality of the work he does. The Iris is a different animal in many aesthetic respects but to be able to sell a handmade guitar at that price point, labor hours have to get cut and Adam seems to have made the decision to make the cuts on the aesthetic side rather than the sound side.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-09-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazad View Post

I'm fascinated by what these guys are doing. I'm not sure the sound is what I'm after - I'm a flatpicker and bluegrass player whose ear is tuned mostly to the classic Martin tone - but they have me thinking!

Gary
Trey Hensley, quite the young phenom flat picker who has a silly collection of things in the Martin style, just got the Iris AB (J-185 style) and he’s raving about it and posted a killer video the other day on his socials. You should check it out.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Since I had sold a guitar on the 1st I was looking for another one. So I contacted TNAG about the DF they had in stock last night and set up a call for this afternoon and it sold already! So I contacted Chicago Folk Town for the last one I could find and pulled the trigger. Should be here Tuesday, can't wait!
Can’t wait to hear what you think!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJphx3-...d=dimp6igtt8rx

Hopefully even those without Instagram can watch that. The part where he takes an instrumental break is just plain great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion